Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820048 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6900 on: June 10, 2014, 11:01:06 am »

Theres apparently a new shooting, at a high school in Portland Oregon. When the fuck will this kind of shit stop.

Its breaking news on CNN, so, not a whole lot of details yet........

I know I posted on the raaaaaagggge thread, but since this is america and it's relevant right freaking now. Ugh, we can't go more than a few months without one happening or some incident happening. No deaths reported though and a semi-auto was used....

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: June 10, 2014, 11:02:52 am »

*implying CNN news wasn't broken already*

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:20 am »

The high profile shootings like school shootings etc involving semi automatic rifles are nothing compared to the deaths every year in the USA to handguns and shotguns, the guns Obama fully supports and has even been photographed by the press firing. That won't stop Obama or his successor from pushing pointless "assault weapon bans" through to satisfy Liberals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: June 10, 2014, 11:20:53 am »

except the states are terminally fucked on the guns front and to actually ban them you'd have to turn the military on the country or something as extreme as that

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:07 am »

The gap between what is possible and what would be effective is so large. Honestly, it's probably best just to wait for a few more years for gun ownership to keep falling.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:25 am »

*implying CNN news wasn't broken already*

Yeah, they've been abusing the 'breaking news' to the point where it's meaningless, even breaking news stuff that isn't really breaking news or stuff that would be fine with a 'new developments' tab. I'm using 'breaking news' in the normal sense.

Anyways, the only death is the shooter themself. This one is more fortunate than most though.

On the guns front, yeah, we're pretty fucked up due to the founders choice of words. If only we could revive the founders and the members of that first congress and get their views on gun ownership rather than the state militias, which were a thing at the time (equivalent to the states national guard these days I think). Of course though, it would be coloured by societal norms that existed at the time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:30:34 am by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: June 10, 2014, 11:54:03 am »

Gun ownership in America has sky rocketed since this whole thing began with blanket media coverage of Aurora and Sandy Hook and Obama began pushing for that ridiculous set of restrictions. AR15s were completely sold out for months and there was a great shortage of ammo because manufacturers couldn't keep up with the demand. Even now some formerly cheap and plentiful calibers are still extremely expensive.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:56:02 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: June 10, 2014, 11:56:57 am »

To be honest, I find it hard to really care about these things anymore. It's the way it is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: June 10, 2014, 12:00:22 pm »

Mainly because people got scared for various reasons.

But yeah, add in the poor mental health system we have here and other things and well, you know.....

I'm not a gun owner btw.

To be honest, I find it hard to really care about these things anymore. It's the way it is.

What with the media coverage, so yes we're sort of numbed to it, but you still can't help but feel like this kind of thing is not normal and shouldn't be the norm.

I've heard that the gun culture here in the US is pretty unique (the only places that have more gun usage are places in the Middle East), so, theres no 'path previously travelled' to guide us, and then theres the fanaticism about the second amendment.

And of course the (insert term anywhere between severe to terminal) partianiship going on in congress these days and the republicans and just government in general, which helps nothing.

Can't wait to see what the republicans come up with for the 2016 presidential elections (and democrats, since an alternate choice to Hillary would be nice).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:07:29 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: June 10, 2014, 12:09:42 pm »

My guess is that in twenty or thirty years SCOTUS will alter their interpretation of the text of the second amendment, thus effectively banning non-organized gun ownership. That's what happened with Jim Crow, after all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: June 10, 2014, 12:13:21 pm »

My guess is that in twenty or thirty years SCOTUS will alter their interpretation of the text of the second amendment, thus effectively banning non-organized gun ownership. That's what happened with Jim Crow, after all.

Only one problem, how do you define non-organized gun ownership and which organizations are allowed to have guns ;) All NRA members? heh.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:30 pm »

What do you mean by "non organised gun ownership"? We haven't even done that in the UK and our gun system is a model for many US liberals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: June 10, 2014, 12:51:27 pm »

Anything that's not part of a 'militia'. It's all about that one word, isn't it...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: June 10, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »

Anything that's not part of a 'militia'. It's all about that one word, isn't it...

Pretty much. Either that or people ignore the militia part and go for the 'right to own guns'.

I wonder if any other countries have problems with a part of their constitution that meant one thing at the time it was written, but is now vague and too easily misinterpreted?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: June 10, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »

I'm sorry, but are sportsmen, farmers, gamekeepers and huntsmen part of a militia?
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 667