Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820060 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6825 on: June 04, 2014, 07:18:10 am »

IIRC, the federal minimum wage would be $27 today, if kept pace with both productivity increase and inflation.
How is productivity increase and inflation calculated in that figure? Because there's a lot you can alter by fiddling with the definitions...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: June 04, 2014, 07:44:18 am »

I'm not opposed to a minimum wage of $15, mind you. The economy can certainly bear it (it might be hard on low-wage startups, but the benefits will outweigh the costs). No, I'm questioning the wisdom of Seattle doing it when it's the only jurisdiction to do so, because that will be an incentive for low-margin companies to start leaving town.

I understand what you are getting at. I think you'd be correct, under a great many situations. I don't think it will hold true for Seattle. Previous minimum wage increases in other cities haven't resulted in corporate flight, and I don't think it will happen here either.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: June 04, 2014, 09:33:10 am »

Besides, calculating 1700 hours per year (average American) times 15$ an hour is only $25,500. Barely above the poverty line. AND this is in Seattle, i.e. expensive city to live in.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: June 04, 2014, 10:38:49 am »

I'm skeptical, in all honesty. A higher minimum wage would definitely be a good thing, but a lot of it would impact jobs like retail checkout drones who haven't really been seeing the productivity gains of the last few decades,

I'm waaaaay late to the party here but I'd say you have this dead wrong.  Retail is where we've seen the strongest gains in productivity in the past few decades.  The 80s saw the rise of just-in-time production practices spreading from heavy industrial orders to retail goods.  This might not seem like a retail productivity issue but it increases the value addition of retail workers and thus leads to productivity gains.  Going forward we see the emergence of agile inventory management due to computerization leading to fewer retail workers being able to handle a larger variety of goods.  At the same time we see the retail sector consolidate which is bad news bears for mom and pop stores but does mean higher retail productivity.  And now automation is really changing the face of retail from human to robot.  And this is taking place during a time of globalization and historically low costs for long distance freight, further increasing value addition.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: June 04, 2014, 10:46:51 am »

Huh.

I'd still like to see some numbers on productivity gains over the last few decades by sector. My hunch is that some of the biggest gains have been made in above-minimum (even if only $11 or $12 an hour) office work where computers have replaced giant cabinets of paperwork, while jobs like fry cooks and cashiers haven't really seen much in the way of productivity gains by their very nature. But that is just a hunch, and I would prefer to see some statistics before I make a verdict.

In other news, the GOP Mississippi Senate primary is too close to call, and there will be a runoff race late this month.

One county had not reported its results because the election commissioner had gone to bed.

I love this country.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: June 04, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »

IIRC, the federal minimum wage would be $27 today, if kept pace with both productivity increase and inflation.
How is productivity increase and inflation calculated in that figure? Because there's a lot you can alter by fiddling with the definitions...

No clue.  Just something I've seen cited a few places before.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »

Besides, calculating 1700 hours per year (average American) times 15$ an hour is only $25,500. Barely above the poverty line. AND this is in Seattle, i.e. expensive city to live in.

The average you used is nearly worthless in this context because virtually nobody actually works that figure, which is amost exactly between conventional full time and part time work. Full time work (5 days a week, 8 hours a day for a total of 40 hours/week) results in gross figures $26,000/year at $12.50 and $31,200 at $15.00. Part time workers would instead make 13,000 and $16,600. These are better figures to base assumptions on because between %75 and %90 of American adults will average to those two points over a year, taking sick days and overtime into account.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »

No clue.  Just something I've seen cited a few places before.
That's why I'm sceptical, you see... Especially seeing how, for example, women today are much more likely to be working (for a wage) than back then.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: June 05, 2014, 06:44:18 am »

I don't really see your point. Anyway, labar participation by women in the US started much earlier than in Europe (especially Germany), so I'm not sure it that significant a factor.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: June 05, 2014, 06:53:10 am »

A family with two breadwinners doesn't need wages as high as those for a family with only one. True, each hour is paid less, but the standard of living still rises because there are fewer dependants per person. Plus there's been an increase in one-person households, where this effect is even more pronounced.
The Bay12 postcard club

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: June 05, 2014, 08:36:34 am »

Minimum wage stuff:
http://www.nextnewdeal.net/minimum-wage-laws-and-labor-market-what-have-we-learned-card-and-kruegers-book-myth-and-measurement

It's does a good job of covering a lot of the different studies and research projects that have gone into this, analyzing the conclusions, and pulling it together.

It's worth not just reading the page, as a large part of its value is providing useful links if you're still interested.

The basic finding seems to be that demand for employees is extremely inelastic: Most firms don't hire employees they don't need, so getting rid of any employees is only likely to result in them losing money. It reduces their profits, generally, but not the number of people they employee.

On other issues, here's a brilliant summary by a right-winger on the whole Bergdahl situation - remember to read from the bottom!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:49:12 am by GlyphGryph »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:02 am »

The average you used is nearly worthless in this context because virtually nobody actually works that figure, which is amost exactly between conventional full time and part time work. Full time work (5 days a week, 8 hours a day for a total of 40 hours/week) results in gross figures $26,000/year at $12.50 and $31,200 at $15.00. Part time workers would instead make 13,000 and $16,600. These are better figures to base assumptions on because between %75 and %90 of American adults will average to those two points over a year, taking sick days and overtime into account.

Full time work is a somewhat misleading figure itself for many low wage workers because their employers deliberately make it difficult for them to hit 40 hours (and thus risk going over 40 hours and start working time and a half).  If you have the kind of employer who values your morale little enough to pay you minimum wage, it's almost an inevitability that you will go undertime or overtime but consistently hit 40.

I would suggest using the median hours worked, which is generally around 1800 a year.  This gives us the median minimum wage worker at $15/hr earning 27000 a year.  In a two income household that's livable even if one income were part time but if that were a one income household with children it would certainly be a stretch.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: June 05, 2014, 09:45:06 am »

You guys don't need a higher minimum wage, you guys need a welfare state.

And 27.000 a year for one person is, well, not a lot, but not exactly little either, right? Unless I'm underestimating the dollar-euro exchange rate... For comparison, a German on welfare gets just shy of 400€ per month plus rent, so about 650-700€ all in all. Of course, our health insurance etc. is way cheaper, but even so that's quite a difference.
The Bay12 postcard club

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: June 05, 2014, 10:17:37 am »

For comparison, a German on welfare gets just shy of 400€ per month plus rent, so about 650-700€ all in all. Of course, our health insurance etc. is way cheaper, but even so that's quite a difference.
Actually healthcare doesn't factor in there, if you're on welfare the government takes over your insurance payments.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: June 05, 2014, 10:22:20 am »

That's what I meant - in the US, even with minimum wage you'll have hefty insurance costs.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 667