Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820291 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6750 on: May 15, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »

Chelsea Manning continues to prove herself one of the heroes of our time.

A friend of mine explains

gotta read the fine print on this one to understand it. Manning is trying to force the military to give her hormone replacement therapy in a military prison, thereby setting a precedent that active military are entitled to HRT. She's put them in a double-bind. If they treat her it will set a precedent, opening the doors for other service people to demand and sue for treatment. If they don't she can sue them under 8th amendment violations. They are trying to get out of this by transferring her to a civilian prison so someone else can give her the treatments without setting the precedent of the military doing so. But it's not clear how that can do that without discharging her, and she's still got appeals left, and there are procedural problems ... Accepting the transfer would speed her transition, but it would prevent the creation of the precedent. By fighting the transfer, Chelsea Manning is clearly showing that she is fighting, not JUST for her own transition, but for other acting service personnel to be able to receive HRT as well. It's subtle, but she's being an activist for trans military folk, even while she herself is imprisoned on a 35 year sentence
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: May 15, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »

That... may be the classiest scheme I've ever heard outside of fiction. Day = made.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: May 15, 2014, 04:02:44 pm »

Wow we need more active events in this thread. And not just the culture war. Like the FCC's vote on Net Neutrality.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: May 20, 2014, 07:17:14 pm »

OK, time to put on your election-watching hats, again, because it's Super Tuesday! That's when a whole bunch of primaries come down the pipe, and we'll get to see where the GOP's cultural war has led it. The Washington Post has a good run-down of some important races (spoiler alert: the business establishment of the GOP is going to win most of its races this evening. Whether or not the Tea Party will try to make one last fight for relevance afterwards remains to be seen.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:18:58 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: May 20, 2014, 07:38:49 pm »

Huh. Is that today?

I thought it was in September. :v All the IMPORTANT stuff is happening in September. Scottish vote, school starting...

My birthday
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »

Huh. Is that today?

I thought it was in September. :v All the IMPORTANT stuff is happening in September. Scottish vote, school starting...

My birthday
Election day is in September. This is SUPER TUESDAY, the primary day. Primaries can be any day, but there happen to be the most today.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: May 20, 2014, 07:57:02 pm »

Election day is in September.
Election day is in November!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »

Election day is in September.
Election day is in November!
Sorry, just repeated what he said and didn't think of it. Yes of course it's in November.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:56 pm »

It's an insidious Canadian plot to make us all miss Voting Day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: May 20, 2014, 11:13:26 pm »

So, with simultaneous pushes in Michigan, New Jersey, and Florida, it appears that the new Republican plan to balance the budget is...

Drumroll please...

Robbing old people.

Stealing their money. That is the plan.

Specifically, robbing everyone who had the audacity to work for the government at some time or another, but wasn't lucky enough to do so as a politician.

In Michigan, they are stealing money from old people specifically to give it to billionaires. And the billionaires are complaining because they aren't stealing enough, so they might end up stealing more.

In New Jersey, they just plum ran out of money. It up and disappeared, I guess? Well, now they are short on funds, and Christie has decided to do a big push for the "stealing from old people" plan locally, to the tune of $2.43 billion.
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/05/christie_unveils_plan_to_cover_800m_budget_shortfall.html

At least he promises he'll pay it back, at some vague time in the future. He's only stealing from *potential* old people right now, so it's not nearly as bad.

Michigan is stealing money from existing old people, because their debts to billionaires are top-priority and old people just plain don't matter as much. I'm not going to even bother going through my history to recover this link, though, I wasn't going to post about it until I saw the Christie one.

Just... ugh.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: May 21, 2014, 01:22:19 am »

I'm split on this one. On the one hand, those guys were promised a pension and you can't renege on this. On the other hand, the states have been underfunding their pension funds for decades now and the bill is steep.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: May 21, 2014, 02:12:20 am »

Koch brothers' group fights Detroit bankruptcy aid

I believe they are underestimating common Michigander knowledge that a weak Detroit makes for a weaker state. To be honest I think from what I've read a 4.5% cut in pensions is a fair compromise floated by the Governor.

Eliminating or reducing those pensions even more just removes that much more money from the local economy and makes life harder for those people, and for what? To benefit the Koch brothers and other extremely wealthy individuals or business that can weather such a loss dozens if not hundreds of times over and still live comfortably?

Even Republicans I've spoken to in my area know it's in their personal interest to show loyalty to the people of their home state (with a Republican Governor nonetheless!) rather than to the prime American examples of self-serving billionaires that meddle in States they don't even live in through the corrupting influence under-regulated money has in politics to the detriment of most citizens.

EDIT: Actually I was wrong. The Koch Brothers do have an interest in Detroit... as an industrial waste dump zone:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/42949/koch-brothers-billionaires-place-3-story-pile-of-petroleum-coke-in-detroit

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/business/energy-environment/mountain-of-petroleum-coke-from-oil-sands-rises-in-detroit.html?_r=0

Surely they have our best interest in heart! How could we not trust people who illegally dumped stored industrial waste inefficient petroleum fuel next to a river inside a city and then went to court when ordered to remove it after video of it blowing into the river became public.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No wonder my Faygo Cola tasted a little off for a year or two! Moon Mist was still delicious though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:25:55 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: May 21, 2014, 07:58:52 am »

I'm split on this one. On the one hand, those guys were promised a pension and you can't renege on this. On the other hand, the states have been underfunding their pension funds for decades now and the bill is steep.

They can more than afford to pay the pension if they stop giving "gifts" (like the new Stadium, expected to do jack shit for the city, which seems to exist solely as a corporate handout) to the rich, and avoid prioritizing "paying back" wealthy gamblers over the loyal people who've worked 40+ years for the city.

Duuvian, I think the interest they have in Detroit is destroying the local government. Who's going to want to work in government when they know they are going to be robbed at their most vulnerable moment? No employees means no regulators, or at least incompetent ones!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: May 21, 2014, 08:06:47 am »

Do they? I haven't looked at it in details. Frankly, they should just have switched to giving bonds instead of pensions or something. This way they couldn't ignore it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 667