Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820252 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #6240 on: March 26, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »

He did the same when he was in Sweden. Ridiculous. He should at least show some decency and pay for it himself.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: March 26, 2014, 07:20:21 pm »

He tried to speak Dutch when the nuclear stuff in the Netherlands was over.

Should really work on his accent.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:34 pm »

He did the same when he was in Sweden. Ridiculous. He should at least show some decency and pay for it himself.
Not all of it is really his choice. He can't do anything about the Secret Service, they don't have to listen to his orders, though the reverse is true as well. He can't realistically pay for it himself. I'm not sure exactly what his net worth is but it's not godly high, and he certainly can't use more tax dollars than is allotted for these things by Congress. Can you even imagine what the Republicans would say? "Obama is spending good American dollars on greedy Europeans!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: March 26, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »

He could pay for it with the money allotted for Obamacare.
Seems pretty fitting considering the name...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: March 26, 2014, 07:27:08 pm »

What? Who control the Secret Service if he doesn't?

Also, some expense is unavoidable I guess, after all, you want to local police to protect him too for example. But the scale of it is bloody ridiculous.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »

What? Who control the Secret Service if he doesn't?
Julia Pierson, who in turn reports to Jeh Johnson. Now, mind you, both of them are appointed by Obama, but the point is that he cannot actually force his security detail to do specific things if he disagrees with them. There has existed a historical uneasy truce between security details and the Presidents. They don't like the President doing things like driving any of the cars, because they have the tendency to ditch security whenever they have control. Obama's security seems to be aware of this danger.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: March 26, 2014, 07:36:51 pm »

I also found it ridiculous that they called Sweden a "high risk" country because we've had two ministers murdered. USA being the country that's had like fifteen presidents assassinated and had a senator shot in the head just the other year.
Love, scriver~

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:07 pm »

USA being the country that's had like fifteen presidents assassinated and had a senator shot in the head just the other year.

Four presidents assassinated and she was a Congresswoman.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:22 pm »

Didn't cheney shotgun someone or something? Though I guess that was a couple years ago or somethin'...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: March 26, 2014, 07:57:57 pm »

Also, some expense is unavoidable I guess, after all, you want to local police to protect him too for example. But the scale of it is bloody ridiculous.
When Obama was in Berlin last time, it was the same thing. The whole city shut down, it cost millions, even duct covers were sealed in the whole area he was driving through, people weren't allowed to open their windows. All for a 25 hour visit. Same thing with the pope. Pretty normal I guess.

Didn't cheney shotgun someone or something? Though I guess that was a couple years ago or somethin'...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney_hunting_incident

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: March 26, 2014, 08:11:40 pm »

When Obama was in Berlin last time, it was the same thing. The whole city shut down, it cost millions, even duct covers were sealed in the whole area he was driving through, people weren't allowed to open their windows. All for a 25 hour visit. Same thing with the pope. Pretty normal I guess.
There was this joke that the ducts were sealed to prevent the politicians escaping...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:26 pm »

Aren't Congresscritters (thank you Frumple) just the catch-all term for Senators and Representatives?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: March 26, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »

Given that two of those presidents were more then a century ago, that's a fair number.

Also, I literally saw the president roll by in a police motorcade a month or something ago; if there is a problem it's exclusive to you, Europe. The roadblock they set up was annoying, but they got it up and down pretty quickly, maybe ten minutes tops, and with very little fuss. Of course the President comes by NYC fairly often (this is not the first time I've been stopped by those barricades), so they're likely used to it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: March 26, 2014, 08:51:26 pm »

Security for a head of state (ANY head of state) is several orders of magnitude more difficult in a foreign country than it is domestically, primarily because the security detail is much freer on their home turf (it's much easier for the Secret Service to, for example, rent an apartment for a counter-sniper team in Washington DC than it is in London), has a better file of potential threats, and is much more able to insert discreet agents into crowds or traffic (and thus spot trouble from different angles) than they can somewhere else. They make up for this with extremely visible, overwhelming security to convince any threat that these aren't people that you want to fuck with, so go home. The bigger and more important a nation-state is, the greater the chance that somebody's going to have a grudge, or want to score political points with an attack, and the US is among the most powerful and influential states in the world.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: March 26, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »

And in a twist of fate, the 52nd President will be assassinated in 25 years because of a disgruntled Parisian citizen who's unhappy about his city being locked-down for a week.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 667