Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818813 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #5895 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:16 pm »

America doesn't have a primary language of course; the founding fathers didn't consider it important. So it's not in the Constitution. WHICH MEANS DESIGNATED LANGUAGES ARE EVIL! More seriously, there is no law at a federal level barring you from not knowing English, and I know many communities where I live where it is entirely possible to live out your entire life not knowing English. So it is just pointlessly reactionary.

Quote from: News Article comment
Maybe they didn't miss the mark. Although not directly, their ad captured perfectly the bigoted, intolerant, racist America you've pointed out. It's got close minded people yelling, open minded people defending, and EVERYONE is talking about Coke. They did what they set out to do.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: February 04, 2014, 07:43:15 pm »

I think the most important part of the ad is that millions of people world wide are talking about it... Mission fucking accomplished! They knew this would stir up enough shit to get everybody arguing over it while at the same time being politically correct enough to not get taken down, and that it the greatest win an advertisement can achieve.

I think as far as advertisements go it is pretty bland, certainly by itself not worth the money they spent, but it is all the racist hate it conjured that is going to pay off for coke. Funnily enough the people outraged at coke right now are actually the ones the ad was marketed for! Never underestimate the power of the Sarkeesian marketing model.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »

I went to YouTube, and the thumbnail for the Coke ad was on the frontpage.  The thumbnail is of a rather serious looking backlit young woman wearing a headscarf.  As soon as I saw it, I knew there was going to be a cavalcade of stupid people saying stupid things about it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »

America doesn't have a primary language of course; the founding fathers didn't consider it important.
I'd like to restate this for any Quebecois who are reading this thread. You just remember that. You could have joined us. You could have had official French from the beginning. Remember and weep.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »

They might have been able to keep their French, but that wouldn't have had healthcare...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: February 04, 2014, 08:11:08 pm »

They might have been able to keep their French, but that wouldn't have had healthcare...
Sure they would. Not nationally, but there's nothing preventing the states from going beyond the ACA, and could have reformed their healthcare at any point.

And even so, my knowledge of the Quebecois suggests that they'd rather be dying in the street, so long as the signs on that street were all written in French.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:12:58 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:12 pm »

A man dies and someone puts up a sign that reads: "This man has died", in English. Everyone gathered agrees the sign is the most devastating part of the situation.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: February 04, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »

A man dies and someone puts up a sign that reads: "This man has died", in English. Everyone gathered agrees the sign is the most devastating part of the situation.
To be fair the man in question didn't speech French very well, so no great loss...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: February 04, 2014, 09:03:26 pm »

I thought that the GOP claimed they are trying NOT to alienate minorites.

I'd like to say that Glenn Beck and the "I looked at the bible once or twice and I just fucking hate everything" brigade don't necessarily represent the opinions of everyone in the Grand Ole Party.

That being said, I did find it a bit odd that, though everyone finds fault in the fact that other languages are singing america the beautiful, nobody finds it odd that it's implied that Arabic citizens of an islamic country are singing a judeo-christian song about how god has blessed america with beauty and bountiful agriculture. Just a bit.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:03 pm »

I thought that the GOP claimed they are trying NOT to alienate minorites.

I'd like to say that Glenn Beck and the "I looked at the bible once or twice and I just fucking hate everything" brigade don't necessarily represent the opinions of everyone in the Grand Ole Party.

That being said, I did find it a bit odd that, though everyone finds fault in the fact that other languages are singing america the beautiful, nobody finds it odd that it's implied that Arabic citizens of an islamic country are singing a judeo-christian song about how god has blessed america with beauty and bountiful agriculture. Just a bit.
Nope. Did not find that odd. But mostly because they are American citizens; indeed, the point of the video is showing off America's diversity.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: February 04, 2014, 09:17:07 pm »

Exactly. It's not Arabs in the Middle East singing, it's Arab Americans singing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: February 04, 2014, 09:18:09 pm »

Besides, Islam is an Abrahamic religion.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: February 04, 2014, 09:22:07 pm »

I didn't really like the ad. Not because of the multilingual thing, or any other such nonsense, but because it is, at the end of the day, a commercial for soda. Wrapping it in patriotism seems like exploitation at best. Though they weren't nearly as bad as the company (Budweiser I think) who ran an ad that was a parade for a returning veteran, with nothing to indicate it was a commercial at all, except their logo at the end.

*Dons flak jacket*
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:38 pm »

I'm not particularly impressed either, but it's better than most of the ads we get. I'd be a bit more positive towards advertizement if it was at least interesting more often.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: February 04, 2014, 09:35:24 pm »

I didn't really like the ad. Not because of the multilingual thing, or any other such nonsense, but because it is, at the end of the day, a commercial for soda. Wrapping it in patriotism seems like exploitation at best. Though they weren't nearly as bad as the company (Budweiser I think) who ran an ad that was a parade for a returning veteran, with nothing to indicate it was a commercial at all, except their logo at the end.

*Dons flak jacket*

Coca-Cola's always been big on the "feel good" ad, much as Budweiser's always relied heavily on their "America's Beer" imagery. I can certainly see where you're coming from, but at least both compainies have a long history of this sort of ad.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 667