Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818989 times)

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #5850 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:30 pm »

I think public servants, from the lowliest police officer to the President should be put to death if convicted of corruption or abuses of power.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:50 pm »

I think public servants, from the lowliest police officer to the President should be put to death if convicted of corruption or abuses of power.
Guess what the latest fad of corruption and abuses of power would be: Accusing political opponents of corruption or abuse of power, forging evidence of it, etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: January 30, 2014, 04:43:00 pm »

Guess what the latest fad of corruption and abuses of power would be: Accusing political opponents of corruption or abuse of power, forging evidence of it, etc.

Normally I'd agree with you but I suspect that you are feeding a troll.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »

kill them all then

at some point we'd just run out of people who abuse power

or run out of people who have to be governed

extreme solution, but should get the job done

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: January 30, 2014, 04:45:56 pm »

Blowing up fucking marathon runners because you're a religious nutjob certainly reaches beyond it. While I'm against the death penalty because of the Eighth Amendment and the possibility of mistakes being made, I'm not going to be sad over this one.
Well, I'd say the psychological help and counseling would be more in place.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: January 30, 2014, 04:47:04 pm »

Mr. Tsarnaev hasn't got anything really wrong with him though. He's not mentally ill, he doesn't really need psychological help. He's just a stupid kid who looked up to his big brother.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5856 on: January 30, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »

kill them all then

Eventually, everyone who wants to be a politician is gone. Then, you have to kidnap people and install them into positions of power just to get stuff done.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: January 30, 2014, 04:49:24 pm »

Eventually, everyone who wants to be a politician is gone. Then, you have to kidnap people and install them into positions of power just to get stuff done.

Then you'll have a generation of politicians who refuse to do anything for fear of their life.  My how interesting that will be.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »

Then you'll have a generation of politicians who refuse to do anything for fear of their life not being reelected.  My how interesting that will be.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: January 30, 2014, 05:49:12 pm »

If it doesn't keep them honest, it would at the very least keep them too busy to do anything. Both are equally good in my eyes. I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it for a few hours I could think of a relatively ironclad way to ferret out the dregs of the political system with minimal collateral damage, but I'm not sure I want to devote that time to something with such a low chance of ever coming about.
Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: January 30, 2014, 06:04:08 pm »

Mr. Tsarnaev hasn't got anything really wrong with him though. He's not mentally ill, he doesn't really need psychological help. He's just a stupid kid who looked up to his big brother.
He's a fanatic murderer who helped his fanatic murderer brother slaughter innocent people. He's not a victim by a long shot, and the world will be better off without him.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: January 30, 2014, 07:19:12 pm »

He's a fanatic murderer who helped his fanatic murderer brother slaughter innocent people. He's not a victim by a long shot, and the world will be better off without him.

He's not really a fanatic, his brother was. He is of course a mass murderer, yes, and the world would probably be better off without a lot of people. That doesn't mean we should kill them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:21:09 pm by Owlbread »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: January 30, 2014, 07:23:36 pm »

If it doesn't keep them honest, it would at the very least keep them too busy to do anything. Both are equally good in my eyes. I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it for a few hours I could think of a relatively ironclad way to ferret out the dregs of the political system with minimal collateral damage, but I'm not sure I want to devote that time to something with such a low chance of ever coming about.
Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Or it could lead to a violent political war that would end when a single faction takes over the judiciary and purges the government of their enemies; frightening those who might oppose and taking absolute power. But more likely it would do nothing; It certainly wouldn't lead to less corruption: China executes corrupt officials, and they execute more people then any other country (although that's much easier for a country of 1 billion).

I could go on and on about your notion that the government is somehow worse then lack of it, but I'd rather just point at the Shutdown for an easy win.
He is both. He is a stupid kid (although I have seen evidence that contradicts this somewhat) that is responsible for some deaths, numerous cripplings, and many more injured. They are not distinct people.

He's not really a fanatic. His brother was. He is of course a mass murderer, yes, and the world would probably be better off without a lot of people. That doesn't mean we should kill them.
No he is a fanatic. It certainly is his brother's doing that he is a fanatic, but he is definitely a fanatic. There was a small but growing train of evidence that he was, or was becoming, more fanatic then his friends thought.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: January 30, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »

He is both. He is a stupid kid (although I have seen evidence that contradicts this somewhat) that is responsible for some deaths, numerous cripplings, and many more injured. They are not distinct people.

I haven't really contradicted that though I dispute the term "fanatic".

No he is a fanatic. It certainly is his brother's doing that he is a fanatic, but he is definitely a fanatic. There was a small but growing train of evidence that he was, or was becoming, more fanatic then his friends thought.

I've seen fanatics (radical Islamists), spoken to them, been on their forums etc and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wasn't really one of them. I've read the articles about him describing his world view on social networking sites as "Islam" and stuff like that, but really if you deconstruct it I'd say most of that came from his brother and wasn't really all that solid. You know, it's not as if he's sat down, thought it through etc. He may have been on that road but he's not a fanatic in the sense most of us are familiar with. He's a much more pedestrian kind. The slow witted, impressionable kind, perhaps.

I'm not doubting his Islamist credentials, you see. You can't just label people in that way though as "fanatics" otherwise you're putting him in the same camp as Osama bin Laden, there are subtle differences.

You know, maybe in another world where he and his brother could have grown up in a secure, secular Chechnya, either within Russia or outwith, there would have been no Boston Bombings.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:39:02 pm by Owlbread »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:34 pm »

kill them all then

And people are forging evidence because they like watching people fight lions and tigers whilst they are slowly torn apart by a slowly lowering ceiling made of chainsaws.
Legal blood sports?  I'd pay to watch that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 667