Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819155 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #5805 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »

Our politicians scare me on a regular basis.
Yea, me too. Seriously some of these people belong in mental facilities...

Which brings us to one obvious conclusion:  turn the house of representatives into a mental facility.  But then, Roger Waters proposed this already the year I was born.
People have hated Congress for much longer then that.Even John Adams.

I think it works because no one hates Congress more the Congress.

This isn't about hating congress.  It's about padding the walls of the congressional building and dressing everyone in nice white coats.  Some of them with extra long sleeves.  And medications and electric shocks and water dunking and maybe some extra special icepick maneuvers, if you know what I mean.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:25 pm »

This isn't about hating congress.  It's about padding the walls of the congressional building and dressing everyone in nice white coats.  Some of them with extra long sleeves.  And medications and electric shocks and water dunking and maybe some extra special icepick maneuvers, if you know what I mean.

Icepick maneuvers?  I don't think Ramón Mercader would do bulk discounts, even if he were around. ^_^

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: January 28, 2014, 11:12:39 pm »

Nope.  Not what I was going for.  What barbaric medical procedure was performed on the mentally ill in the mid-20th century, and was first performed with an icepick?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:11 pm »

I'm sorry Salmon, I'm afraid I can't let you do that. You see, that's a terrible thing to do to people. And Congress is human. Even Glenn Beck is human.

So, State of the Union: What you guys think (of the one or two who watched it)?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: January 28, 2014, 11:47:52 pm »

It was a bit more combative than I honestly expected, but when you're going into your last mid-term election you need come out swinging.  He certainly made no bones about defending the health care program or his federal minimum-wage increase, and about as personally-directed as a President is allowed to be in a speech.  Also fascinating seeing him denounce his own party for trying to pass sanctions on Iran without his approval.

I found it far more interesting that there are now five different Opposition Responses.  The official Republican Party one, the slightly different Spanish translation, the official Tea Party response, the official Rand Paul Party response, and the official Ted Cruz pre-response because he's apparently a time-traveler with a spotty memory.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: January 29, 2014, 12:09:30 am »

I'm sorry Salmon, I'm afraid I can't let you do that. You see, that's a terrible thing to do to people. And Congress is human. Even Glenn Beck is human.

Don't worry.  I wasn't being serious.  I honestly wouldn't ever suggest doing that to anyone.  I did mean it when I called it barbaric.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: January 29, 2014, 12:14:44 am »

So... Presidential circle jerk day. Woo?

Sir, I take offense to that!

... Every day is presidential circle jerk day in the USA!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:57 am »

Quote from: SalmonGod link=topic=122640.msg4962019#msg4962019 date=1390972170

Don't worry.  I wasn't being serious.  I honestly wouldn't ever suggest doing that to anyone.  I did mean it when I called it barbaric.
That's okay.
So... Presidential circle jerk day. Woo?
The State of the Union address is a annual
 speech highlighting the state of policy, and usually outlining a presidents plans and goals. Once upon a time is was just a written report, but that changed work Woodrow Wilson.

It was a bit more combative than I honestly expected, but when you're going into your last mid-term election you need come out swinging.  He certainly made no bones about defending the health care program or his federal minimum-wage increase, and about as personally-directed as a President is allowed to be in a speech.  Also fascinating seeing him denounce his own party for trying to pass sanctions on Iran without his approval.

I found it far more interesting that there are now five different Opposition Responses.  The official Republican Party one, the slightly different Spanish translation, the official Tea Party response, the official Rand Paul Party response, and the official Ted Cruz pre-response because he's apparently a time-traveler with a spotty memory.
Mmm, I only heard the Republican response; I should check out the others. I do want to say that her voice annoyed the hell out of me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: January 29, 2014, 08:21:00 am »

Apparently Congressman Michael Grimm (R-NY) was so upset about getting a question NOT about the State of the Union speech, that he started threatening to outright murder people on camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbpxVO-mnYU&noredirect=1#t=41

Mind you, this is probably because of the specific thing the reporter wanted to talk about instead - that being the whole legal investigation thing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:43:28 pm by GlyphGryph »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:42 pm »

Apparently Congressman Michael Grimm (R-NY) was so upset about the State of the Union speech, that he started threatening to outright murder people on camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbpxVO-mnYU&noredirect=1#t=41

Sounds like things are Grimm.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: January 29, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »

He did that due to the reporter bringing up corruption allegations about him. Nothing to do with the state of the union address.

The dude's a bully and has trouble acting like a proper cool and calm manipulative bastard politician.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: January 29, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »

Okay, technically you're right, the whole investigation thing probably had him more stressed than the the State of the Union address. Although thats what the interview was supposedly for (which is presumably why he was upset).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:15 pm »

Yeah. I mean, if we wasn't stressed about the SOTU address, he'd be like "Oh thank god, an interview NOT about the corruption. Phew."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: January 29, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »

Okay, technically you're right, the whole investigation thing probably had him more stressed than the the State of the Union address. Although thats what the interview was supposedly for (which is presumably why he was upset).
A bit unprofessional not to have an answer prepared to a question that was to be expected, don't you think?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 667