Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819284 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #5790 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »

You know who else got in trouble for corrupting the youth?!

Socrates!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:36 pm »

...are you comparing a mildly talented pop artist with one of the most well-known philosophers in history? .__.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:50 pm »

The only joke here is the state of petitions on whitehouse.gov.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:02 pm »

A DUI is a felony, for which you can be deported. Being a wealthy celebrity, it likely won't come to that.

The real crime is all those other immigrants who get deported for minor things while Biebers roam free (and drunken).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: January 28, 2014, 01:30:38 pm »

Socrates!
Ah, I see, so you are proposing to force him to drink poison instead of sending him into exile.  ;)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: January 28, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »

Expecting much in the way of punishment is folly. They can't do that. It'd make them unpopular.
Or a rapper.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: January 28, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »

Socrates!
Ah, I see, so you are proposing to force him to drink poison instead of sending him into exile.  ;)
I'm all for that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:36 pm »

Expecting much in the way of punishment is folly. They can't do that. It'd make them unpopular.
Or a rapper.
I meant the judge and jury.

Justin Bieber as a rapper would kill me.
A judge and jury as one wouldn't?

Hear me lay down the law/Like I never done before/Slap this cheap-ass whore/And let her pass my bar
But first we must sit down/There's all this stuff we got to do/You know what? Fuck it/Fry that goddamn fella brown
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: January 28, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »

Right Wing Watch has destroyed my inbox, so it's that time again!

We'll start with the classic crazy, Bryan Fischer, who is very upset about all the people who got gay married at the Grammys, as well as Beyonce's obvious devil worshiping ways back at the Superbowl.

As for our other regular, well...[Beck Intensifies] (He was also upset about the Grammys, specifically the Witchery of Katy Perry, which apparently is deeply connected to the DNC.)

Bishop Thomas Paprocki endorses the exorcism of gay people as an act of love and discipline, but don't worry, it's not just religious officials being homophobic, certified crazy radio host Erik Rush warns that homosexuals are going to push society "over the line", and cause "homo-hunting" due to their "evangelizing".

Speaking of crazy radio hosts, Prison Planet's own Alex Jones interviews former Representative Bob Barr about his plan to impeach Obama with the same Articles of Impeachment that were raised against Clinton should he be re-elected.

Next, a series of videos from the South Carolina Tea Party Convention: SC Senate Candidate Richard Cash uses the "I Have A Dream" speech to compare the criminalization of abortion to the civil rights movement. Two candidates..."debate"....about climate change. SC Senate Candidate Bill Connor talks about how Europeans are lazy, that the Constitution is a Christian document, advocates impeaching Obama, denies the Establishment Clause, claims atheism is a religion, and further claims that Congress has the right to forcefully disband any court that makes a ruling they disagree with.

Finally, Representative Louie Gohmert wants to flat tax absolutely everybody, including those on welfare.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:16:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: January 28, 2014, 05:34:21 pm »

Our politicians scare me on a regular basis.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: January 28, 2014, 05:45:43 pm »

@Tom Perkins thing
If people want to make slippery slope arguments about Occupy and class warfare, they should really look at the Reign of Terror, not examples of those in power abusing the lower and marginalized classes.

(nevermind that absolute numbers wise, the lower classes still suffered the worst during the Reign of Terror. Still a less stupid example)
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:48 pm »

Yea, me too. Seriously some of these people belong in mental facilities...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »

Which brings us to one obvious conclusion:  turn the house of representatives into a mental facility.  But then, Roger Waters proposed this already the year I was born.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:22 pm »

That's not that impressive. Many of these people have very dubious claims to the title "politician" (already a dubious honor in and of itself), and in a nation of 319 million people (about 4.3% of all people alive on earth today), there are always going to be enough to freak you the hell out.

Basically people have always been this crazy: It's just more noticeable now that everyone has a video recorder.
@Tom Perkins thing
If people want to make slippery slope arguments about Occupy and class warfare, they should really look at the Reign of Terror, not examples of those in power abusing the lower and marginalized classes.

(nevermind that absolute numbers wise, the lower classes still suffered the worst during the Reign of Terror. Still a less stupid example)
That's being a bit unfair. If 500 people of the 1000 people in group A die, and 600 people of the 1000000 people in Group B die, you can't rightfully say that Group B suffers more. With that logic the US, with a casualty total of 418,000 and a population hit of .32%(note the decimal), suffered more then Lithuania, with a casualty total of 350,000 and a population hit of 14.23%.

Which brings us to one obvious conclusion:  turn the house of representatives into a mental facility.  But then, Roger Waters proposed this already the year I was born.
People have hated Congress for much longer then that.Even John Adams.

I think it works because no one hates Congress more the Congress.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: January 28, 2014, 08:33:23 pm »

@Tom Perkins thing

That's being a bit unfair. If 500 people of the 1000 people in group A die, and 600 people of the 1000000 people in Group B die, you can't rightfully say that Group B suffers more. With that logic the US, with a casualty total of 418,000 and a population hit of .32%(note the decimal), suffered more then Lithuania, with a casualty total of 350,000 and a population hit of 14.23%.
While you're pretty much right using extreme examples like that, it gets a bit more ambiguous when the percentages get closer. As I recall, a larger percentage of the nobility died in the Reign of Terror than did the common folk, but it was a ~5% difference.

* kaijyuu is too lazy to look up actual numbers.

Anyway, if 40% of Population A died vs 38% of Population B, but Population B has 1000x as many members, it's not easy to say population A had it worst.
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 667