Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820878 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sold on those incandescent phase-out. For one thing their alternative, while cheaper to run, needs more resources to manufacture and incorporate some nasty stuff (looking at you mercury). Then the light they produce is still not as good, which is fine for most application, but I'd prefer a good old incandescent to light my paintings for exemple.

Of course, you could argue that the ban on incandescent will cause an increase in R&D that will solve at least the second of that issue.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

What about LED?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Even modern LED ain't as good as incandescent. The light might be of the right temperature, but the spectrum is much narrower.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Incandescents might well survive, given the only reason they're being "banned" are standards current incandescents don't reach. Perhaps the lightbulb companies will make a "miraculous R&D breakthrough" at the last minute.

I have never seen any actual proof that incandescents are any good besides vague nostalgia factor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Fluorescent give me a headache, but that may very well be the placebo effect. I'm not going to pretend I'm somehow above such things...

I do like the warm glow of incandescents though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I actually doubt it. When your core design is "heat a piece of metal until it shine really bright" it's a given you'll loose a lot of energy to heat.

As for incandescent, they're easier to dispose off. As for the spectrum, I'll let you toys with this tool by GE. Incandescents have a broader, smoother spectrum, which translate into better light quality. Of course, it doesn't matter much for most use, but it looks better for paintings.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

I think somebody tried to sell them as tiny heaters once, unsuccesfully.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

They're pretty effective heating mechanisms though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Depends on your electricity generation. If you're burning gas to produce electricity that is then turned into heat, you've lost 60 % of your energy for nothing.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

Of course, if they were completely inferior, a ban wouldn't have been necessary because no one would choose them over incandescents. Personally, though, I tend to use fluorescents anyway, because when I'm reading I find incandescents to be a bit too bright and annoying. 
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember that some of my schools would have a "minute of silence" in the mornings for whatever (i.e. prayer), but if the teachers are leading it... yeesh. Are SC legislators really so ignorant of Constitutional Law? The rules on school prayer have been pretty well defined over the years.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, if they were completely inferior, a ban wouldn't have been necessary because no one would choose them over incandescents.
I think your underestimating the psychology of intertia here.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

Of course, if they were completely inferior, a ban wouldn't have been necessary because no one would choose them over incandescents.
I think your underestimating the psychology of intertia here.

"If they don't ban horses, those poor car makers just won't stand a chance!"
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

[redacted]
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember that some of my schools would have a "minute of silence" in the mornings for whatever (i.e. prayer), but if the teachers are leading it... yeesh. Are SC legislators really so ignorant of Constitutional Law? The rules on school prayer have been pretty well defined over the years.

When I was in Primary school (i.e. elementary school) everyone would say grace before we ate our lunch, led by the headmaster. I can remember it now - Some hae meat and cannae eat, and some can eat that want it, but we hae meat and we can eat, sae let the Lord be thankit. Amen.

We also prayed every Friday during Assembly after the Headmaster would read from a book of Christian-message stories, but at that point we just said the Lord's Prayer. Some kids would look around and didn't bother closing their eyes and clasping their hands. They weren't punished for it, none of it was really enforced, it was more just the Headmaster's management. We would also sing Christian songs and hymns raucously while he played the guitar. I actually enjoyed that part, it's hard to remember them now but I remember I liked "The Lord of the Dance" and "Sinner Man" and "One More Step Along the World I go" or something. But I remember we would also sing "Blowing in the Wind".

It's funny that having said all that my school was probably a lot more Christian than many US elementary schools. I've never thought of it that way though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:50:58 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 667