Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821089 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

Even then not so much, they need to dig up a lot of seabed and dump all that somewhere, and current plans are to dump it right on top of the reef, pretty much killing off that area. People have lobbied to have the drudge dumped either onshore or much further out to sea so it will have no effect, but both options have been deemed too expense.

The other huge concern is that ships use water as ballast, and they get that water from where ever they dock. So a ship in china would fill its tanks with water in their dock to keep itself safely low enough in the water, come over here, dump the water out and replace the weight with coal. This very often introduces foreign algae and other microbes that can destroy the surrounding natural environment.

Even if everything goes exactly to plan, and not a drop of oil was ever split, it wouldn't matter.

I remember seeing the reef very fondly. If your politicians succeed in fucking it up, expect much rage from this end. Not just because it's one of the 7 Natural Wonders, or that it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Same-sex marriage passed by court order...in Utah.
Yeah it's crazy. One judge basically gave the state the finger and went "equality, fuck yeah!"

We'll see how things go forward. I don't think it being legal will stick for very long.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Yeah it's crazy. One judge basically gave the state the finger and went "equality, fuck yeah!"

We'll see how things go forward. I don't think it being legal will stick for very long.
In most cases that would be true, but in this case there's a small problem with that: There was no stay imposed. Couples have already been married, and will continue to be until the appellate court agrees to a stay (though they probably will). At that point, we reach an interesting problem. The Supreme Court isn't going to want to rule on this, but the District Court is almost certainly going to go against SCOTUS, meaning they'll probably have to rule on it.

Now, that's not an absolute chain of events by any means, but I don't think I need to elaborate any further on the way this might end.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Isn't there a thing where you can't take the marriages away? So the gay couple that are already married will be able to sue the state if they ban gay marriage again?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I'm unfamiliar with that law.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I think it's not so much a law as the argument that were used to overrule Proposition 8 in court.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

In most cases that would be true, but in this case there's a small problem with that: There was no stay imposed. Couples have already been married, and will continue to be until the appellate court agrees to a stay (though they probably will). At that point, we reach an interesting problem. The Supreme Court isn't going to want to rule on this, but the District Court is almost certainly going to go against SCOTUS, meaning they'll probably have to rule on it.

Now, that's not an absolute chain of events by any means, but I don't think I need to elaborate any further on the way this might end.

Hah, you guys are just like us! In Canberra, they recently voted for same-sex marriage at the state level, and the government overruled that quicksmart - while also annulling all the same-sex marriages that managed to occur in that one month or so period.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Isn't there a thing where you can't take the marriages away? So the gay couple that are already married will be able to sue the state if they ban gay marriage again?
They might not be able to sue, but they will continued to be married.
Hah, you guys are just like us! In Canberra, they recently voted for same-sex marriage at the state level, and the government overruled that quicksmart - while also annulling all the same-sex marriages that managed to occur in that one month or so period.
Alright, I guess I do need to elaborate: This could result in nationwide legalization of SSM if it reaches the Supreme Court. Given the Windsor ruling, the opposite is unlikely as to be impossible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gym Teacher allegedly fired for "Being Straight".
...Well this is ironic. Also throws a bunch of fuel on the fire for conservatives.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

Can you get a credible non-tabloid source for that link?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you get a credible non-tabloid source for that link?
It's all sourced to shit owned by Murdoch, but a separate case showed up in HuffPo from last year.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/former-chris-burch-employee-fired-gay_n_1502969.html
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

...Well this is ironic. Also throws a bunch of fuel on the fire for conservatives.

Y'know, this might just be sour grapes with someone making ridiculous accusations after getting canned.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Y'know, this might just be sour grapes with someone making ridiculous accusations after getting canned.
It'll all come out in court.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It'll all come out in court.

Will it though?  Plenty of people throw allegations around without a shred of evidence.  For obvious reasons, they don't actually bring those claims to court.  Hell, most valid claims are settled outside of court.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:58:31 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 667