Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821411 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4680 on: December 09, 2013, 02:03:50 pm »

And now it's confirmed. Children could be feds.
Since there's no logical point or purpose to this, it'd be amusing if they're just doing this so they can play video games while working.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: December 09, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »

And now it's confirmed. Children could be feds.
Since there's no logical point or purpose to this, it'd be amusing if they're just doing this so they can play video games while working.
Yeah, you'd think it'd be easier just to harvest chat and voice logs directly. I guess if you were going to try some sort of overelaborate sting operation, but that's about it since you'd need to convince them to trust you, given that I understand it's fairly trivial to keep those from being public. I mean, yeah, using a MMORPG as a covert communications platform is probably not the worst idea in the world, given the sheer quantity of obfuscation attached to the data you actually want to transfer, but I don't see how this would actually help address the (hypothetical?) terrorists using it for that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:03 pm »

Be that as it may, the Libertarians and Moderates are still ultimately very small parts of the party. How often do you see their viewpoints put up by the GOP, or even not crushed under party loyalty?

That's because of the way that the self identified establishment displays themselves.  When the true believers get BENGAZI some silly BENGAZI thing BENGAZI in their heads the establishment crowd panders to them.  That doesn't mean they are true believers themselves, they change their views at a moments notice if need be.  It serves them quite well to sound BENGAZI but they don't care about that stuff, they just want to win.  And this crowd has a strong track record of dominating party politics, although recent events (like Ted Cruz not getting excecuted for stupidity.) do indicate it's weaker then before.

It has more to do with the money. A fairly small number of ultra-rich individuals and a somewhat larger number of corporate sponsors have pumped ungodly amounts of money into the Tea Party and Religious Right, because the former is essentially a MAKE ME RICHER AND TRICK THE LITTLE GUY INTO THINKING I'M LOOKING OUT FOR HIM group, while the latter plays quite well with America's large Christian majority (while the Left is not actually anti-Christian, the social environment that left-leaning groups such as the ACLU sought to equalize was historically slanted massively toward Christians, thus they gained an unfair public image), particularly the older generations.

It is important to keep in mind that the Republican Party has essentially been dying since before WWII, managing to gain power only when they find a way to attack the incumbent Democrat or have a candidate like Eisenhower that essentially can't lose. That's why the party's so hard-line. Anything less than all-out attack means that they are surrendering ground that they can not afford to lose.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: December 09, 2013, 04:52:41 pm »

Sanders/Warren v. Santorum/Bachmann. You know you want to watch it happen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: December 09, 2013, 04:54:42 pm »

So apparently Bernie Sanders is considering running for President.

Last time a lefty ran third-party, Bush won Florida. I dunno if this is good.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: December 09, 2013, 05:12:33 pm »

"Nothing is beyond our reach"

It's like they're not even trying to hide it anymore!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: December 09, 2013, 05:18:37 pm »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12/new-us-spy-satellite-features-world-devouring-octopus/

Well, it's official; we are the baddies now.
I like how everyone on the internet takes symbolism seriously. "www.policestateusa.com" is also highlighting the news, as is RT. Clearly, this is the sign that the US has a problem. I'm annoyed because it does appear there is being taken seriously occurring. I can never tell sometimes.

Frankly, I hope ODNI os trolling, because if they are they are fucking awesome at it, and if they aren't they are hilariously insensitive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: December 09, 2013, 05:35:32 pm »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12/new-us-spy-satellite-features-world-devouring-octopus/

I like how everyone on the internet takes symbolism seriously. "www.policestateusa.com" is also highlighting the news, as is RT. Clearly, this is the sign that the US has a problem. I'm annoyed because it does appear there is being taken seriously occurring. I can never tell sometimes.

Frankly, I hope ODNI os trolling, because if they are they are fucking awesome at it, and if they aren't they are hilariously insensitive.

You seem to not be aware of how obvious the US has been about this stuff before.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:28 pm »

You seem to not be aware of how obvious the US has been about this stuff before.
Subscribing it to both then. Poor internets, the world truly goes out of it's way to make you mad.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:58 pm »

Mission patches are not always entirely serious.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That said it's not very well timed.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: December 09, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »

Mission patches are not always entirely serious.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That said it's not very well timed.
Heh. Yeah, my most charitable interpretation is that it's an entirely benign project, with the mission patch being not-that-serious. Doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible idea to reveal it without context.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: December 10, 2013, 01:16:23 am »

I just spent 20 minutes on researching that patch. Holy shit, it's a real thing that really happened.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 667