Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821604 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4605 on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:26 am »

It's a rare day when I defend religion. I'll need to write this down in a diary or something. I'm genuinely sorry for picturing you with a fedora right now I can't help it
Perhaps you should drink the blood of Christian children. That should even it out a bit.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: December 03, 2013, 05:55:29 am »

Look, MSH, I'm sorry, but that's possibly the most euphoric thing I've heard since /u/aalewis was enlightened by his own intelligence.

Yes, the Catholic Church has done a great amount of harm to the world. It has also done stark amounts of good. Yeah, the equality issues need to be fixed- but you're making the mistake of taking the institution for its doctrine. The Church is fallible- it has said so itself on many occasions. The Crusades, the conquest of the Americas, the Thirty Years' War- perfectly fine indictments of the Church. But they're not an indictment of Christianity or Catholic doctrine as it really is. (The medieval Church is a good example of why you don't let politics mix with a pacifist theology- the theology always gets pushed to the side).

For that matter, the Gospels themselves are nothing short of egalitarian. Paul has some things to answer to- but he's Paul, not Christ.

(I myself am an agnostic with crypto-Catholic sympathies.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: December 03, 2013, 06:02:30 am »

MSH mentioned several modern examples but everyone else seems to be pretending not to hear them.  I'll restate:
- The child abuse coverup that went all the way to the top of the Catholic church
- They advocate against contraception in heavily AIDS-ridden countries (and indeed developed countries too)
- They consistently oppose basic equality measures for gay people

These are more than enough to make it a bad institution.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: December 03, 2013, 06:04:01 am »

Right, but that doesn't mean "Catholicism" (the Platonic ideal of it, you might say) is necessarily wrong.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: December 03, 2013, 06:05:33 am »

To be honest, my argument can't be said to be defending the church in the first place. You know, now that I'm rereading this stuff. It's more of poking holes in MSH's argument than stating my own views. I don't really have an opinion when it comes to Christianity in any form (okay, other than Westboro, but that's not really Christianity is it)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: December 03, 2013, 06:33:28 am »

Pretty much every ideology, no matter how cool and pure, tend to be corrupted when exposed to the real world.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: December 03, 2013, 06:38:11 am »

You know, now that I'm rereading this stuff. It's more of poking holes in MSH's argument than stating my own views.

Sure is, mate. Some people will tell themselves anything I suppose. ::)

Because hell, the times when they manipulated the scripture in order to further their own political goals are gone for around a century now. Were we to go with the "shit, let's be Catholics" stance in the actual-true-Scotsman manner, we'd ultimately be better off, what with tolerance (as assumed by... the second commandment, was it?) and Christian communism and all the other good stuff nobody really cares about. So yeah, once you're pulling extremes like that go ahead and push them a little bit further than the "dystopia" mark on the scale, thanks.

If you find this to be poking holes in anyone's logic...... Let alone a rebuttal to MSH's point proper.. Oh my.

I'd like for someone to give me a notarized list of the good things Catholicism has accomplished beyond the passive charity aspects. [Which, by most accounts, seems to go directly back into the church's pockets after all these years] Subjective? If you say so. But I'll be shocked if someone can come up with more than one or two.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:46:34 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: December 03, 2013, 06:54:52 am »

Talk about being unable to backpedal.

* LordSlowpoke absconds before the firing squad is deployed

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: December 03, 2013, 06:59:45 am »

MSH's problem isn't with the catholic Doctrine. He has a pretty severe dislike of everything that has anything to do with religion. Only likes reason and scientific method and such.

I'd like for someone to give me a notarized list of the good things Catholicism has accomplished beyond the passive charity aspects. [Which, by most accounts, seems to go directly back into the church's pockets after all these years] Subjective? If you say so. But I'll be shocked if someone can come up with more than one or two.
Good the Church, as institution, has done, or good the Catholic doctrine has done. Because the earlier might be a bit hard. (Because you eliminated the Charities, and probably will refuse the individual acts of priests and such as well).

And if the latter then I will probably again be accused of claiming all good values are Christian values. (Which kinda, they are. Christianity had a very severe influence on European, and therefore the rest of the anglosphere, culture.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: December 03, 2013, 07:05:02 am »

The Peace of God during the middle age? The support to anticommunist forces in Poland?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: December 03, 2013, 07:18:46 am »

Right, but that doesn't mean "Catholicism" (the Platonic ideal of it, you might say) is necessarily wrong.
Then you aren't refuting MSH's point at all, which is that the Catholic church as an institution that actually exists is bad.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: December 03, 2013, 07:24:29 am »

Then you aren't refuting MSH's point at all, which is that the Catholic church as an institution that actually exists is bad.
I'm 100% sure the MSH's point is that all religion is bad. The Catholic church is merely a part of it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: December 03, 2013, 07:27:40 am »

More seriously, it's going to be hard for the church to be totally cool with gays because, well, it's written right there in the Bible it's bad, and unlike most of the rest, sexual stuff wasn't invalidated by St Paul and his pals in the new testament.
Pretty sure it isn't explicitly stated. Sure, a major part of the evildoers are (amongst a hundred other things) homosexual, but still. Hitler and sugar argument, kinda.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:26 am »

Good the Church, as institution, has done, or good the Catholic doctrine has done. Because the earlier might be a bit hard. (Because you eliminated the Charities, and probably will refuse the individual acts of priests and such as well).

And if the latter then I will probably again be accused of claiming all good values are Christian values. (Which kinda, they are. Christianity had a very severe influence on European, and therefore the rest of the anglosphere, culture.)

If 'the doctrine' is good enough then all religions in the world have had positive effects. [Arguable as interpretations of holy literature can go from benign to batshit crazy] I'm talking about in practice, the actions of the Catholic Church and her underlying dogma have been harmful as stated by MSH. Anyone disagreeing with that would have to prove their case. Or atleast go to lengths to help me understand whatever non-subjective examples which are out there.

Also yeah, I'm not allowing wishy-washy charity claims to be included in the Catholic Church's claim to positive change. I'll leave this here:
https://www.eccu.org/resources/advisorypanel/2013/surveyreports20
http://holysoup.com/2013/08/06/the-shocking-truth-of-church-budgets/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note how the largest churches spend the least on social programs. And this is just scratching the surface of what we call the Catholic Church and their misuse and mismanagement of fundings.

E: Late night typing strikes again.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:43:54 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: December 03, 2013, 07:42:27 am »

Well, doctrine wasn't the best word. Philosophy, morale, ideology. One of these is probably better.

- The child abuse coverup that went all the way to the top of the Catholic church
- They advocate against contraception in heavily AIDS-ridden countries (and indeed developed countries too)
- They consistently oppose basic equality measures for gay people
- Not going to justify this. Really. Only thing I can say is that it wasn't the only organization to cover up things like this.
- The idea here was that sex for lust/pleasure is a bad thing. Truly, it should only occur between married couples (who trust each other and would tell, and take precautions) or with the intent of having children. Hence why they said that Condoms don't work. Not the most intelligent statement, to make, I agree.
- IIRC, the last statement on this was (abridged version) is that while homosexuality is still evil
tm
, it should not be a priority for the Church to judge them. More important things are going on.

And that's about as far as I'm willing to defend the Catholic Church as an institution.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 667