Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821752 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4515 on: November 22, 2013, 08:00:53 pm »

Actually, the jerkass does not have a point at all.  Besides the fact that comparing the appointment of certain officials with a simple majority instead of a supermajority to rape is ridiculous, his analogy is mathematically illiterate and logically ridiculous.

“Forget the Senate for a minute,” he said on his radio show. “Let’s say, let’s take ten people in a room and they’re a group. And the room is made up of six men and four women. Right? The group has a rule that the men cannot rape the women. The group also has a rule that says any rule that will be changed must require six votes of the 10 to change the rule.”
So in other words, the group requires the lowest possible majority to change the rule.  IE, exactly the same as what Reid changed the rules to be.  Rush actually does not understand what a majority is.

Limbaugh continued his analogy by saying that “every now and then some lunatic in the group proposes to change the rule to allow women to be raped. But they never were able to get six votes for it. There were always the four women voting against it and there was, you know, two guys.”
Ok, so six would always vote against and four would always vote for.  Ok.

“Well, the guy that kept proposing that women be raped finally got tired of it,” Limbaugh told his listeners. “He was in the majority and he said, you know what, we’re going to change the rule. Now all we need is five. And the women said, ‘you can’t do that.’ ‘Yes we are, we’re the majority, we’re changing the rule.’ And then they vote. Can the women be raped?”
This is the really WTF part.  No, the man is not in the majority - only four people out of the ten in the group are pro-rape, so he would not be able to pass this policy.  And wouldn't he need 6 people to change the rule anyway?

Leaving aside how the man would even pass this rule, this would not lead to the consequence Rush thinks it does.  5 men could vote to legalize rape, then 4 women plus one man (let's assume he made a mistake earlier about how many men are anti-rape because he can't count) would then vote to make it illegal again.  Same if the rule is changed to 3 people only.  The women could also just vote to change it back up to 6 or 7 or whatever.

To be honest his use of this analogy leads me to seriously question whether he has any idea how the Senate works at all.  Or even if he understands how numbers work at all.

e: Even if we're charitable and we adjust the numbers so they actually make sense his point is still dumb.  What it's really arguing for is a need to have human rights in place to protect minorities, not setting the bar a little higher so that it's a little harder to outvote some minorities.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:28:45 pm by Leafsnail »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: November 22, 2013, 08:22:55 pm »

His claim is irrelevant. It has some merits, but it's irrelevant. I can tell you have a bit of a thing going on with "I don't subscribe to political theories", so bear with me as I sound ignorantly idealistic apparently.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Technically speaking, his quote about Strom Thurmond isn't wrong. He just doesn't see it in the context that everybody else does.

Thurmond lives in Willowbrook Cemetary, where he has resided since his death in 2003. Oh, and he had a secret mixed-race child.
Thurmond also holds the record for longest Filibuster, of the Civil rights act, for more the 24 hours (he recited the criminal code of the states for much of it).
Finally, a straight and complete answer that actually addresses the issue.

I'm not going to claim that he is not intentionally inflammatory. I'm not going to try and defend it, either. He is trolling people. But you know what? Trolls bring out the true colors in people. Simply by being inflammatory, he provides an excuse for people to show their most hardline inner selves. It shows what they really support when the chips are down. Legions of people, that would otherwise feign being moderate or objective, will either jump on the bandwagon against him, or in favor of him. For example, certain people in this thread refuse to actually address the statement he said, and just attacked his character instead. The statement didn't matter, because they hated him so much. The same "us vs them" mentality could be applied to those who blindly follow him, as well. And since he's so inflammatory, anyone caught in the middle is hated by both sides.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:25:16 pm by Lagslayer »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: November 22, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »

I think it's pretty well established at this point that Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: November 22, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »

My first post was in response to your question on why people hate Limbaugh so much (answer: he is sexist and racist and an idiot).  My second post dismantled his terrible analogy.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: November 22, 2013, 08:35:16 pm »

For example, certain people in this thread refuse to actually address the statement he said

Have you?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4521 on: November 22, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »

Snide comment enclosed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

in response to a comment that "Adolph Hitler would be proud of the Democrats today"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: November 23, 2013, 10:50:03 pm »

Something something Iran, something Obama on tv saying something something. Nuclear program something something Israel, something something.
Go!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: November 23, 2013, 10:56:57 pm »

Apparently there was a breakthrough in the thing regarding that stuff.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: November 23, 2013, 11:04:56 pm »

I'm so glad that they are finally able to work through all that really important stuff. The guys that do the things have really gone all out!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: November 24, 2013, 06:25:15 am »

Actually, the jerkass does not have a point at all.  Besides the fact that comparing the appointment of certain officials with a simple majority instead of a supermajority to rape is ridiculous, his analogy is mathematically illiterate and logically ridiculous.

“Forget the Senate for a minute,” he said on his radio show. “Let’s say, let’s take ten people in a room and they’re a group. And the room is made up of six men and four women. Right? The group has a rule that the men cannot rape the women. The group also has a rule that says any rule that will be changed must require six votes of the 10 to change the rule.”
So in other words, the group requires the lowest possible majority to change the rule.  IE, exactly the same as what Reid changed the rules to be.  Rush actually does not understand what a majority is.

Limbaugh continued his analogy by saying that “every now and then some lunatic in the group proposes to change the rule to allow women to be raped. But they never were able to get six votes for it. There were always the four women voting against it and there was, you know, two guys.”

“Well, the guy that kept proposing that women be raped finally got tired of it,” Limbaugh told his listeners. “He was in the majority and he said, you know what, we’re going to change the rule. Now all we need is five. And the women said, ‘you can’t do that.’ ‘Yes we are, we’re the majority, we’re changing the rule.’ And then they vote. Can the women be raped?”
This is the really WTF part.  No, the man is not in the majority - only four people out of the ten in the group are pro-rape, so he would not be able to pass this policy.  And wouldn't he need 6 people to change the rule anyway?

Leaving aside how the man would even pass this rule, this would not lead to the consequence Rush thinks it does.  5 men could vote to legalize rape, then 4 women plus one man (let's assume he made a mistake earlier about how many men are anti-rape because he can't count) would then vote to make it illegal again.  Same if the rule is changed to 3 people only.  The women could also just vote to change it back up to 6 or 7 or whatever.

To be honest his use of this analogy leads me to seriously question whether he has any idea how the Senate works at all.  Or even if he understands how numbers work at all.

e: Even if we're charitable and we adjust the numbers so they actually make sense his point is still dumb.  What it's really arguing for is a need to have human rights in place to protect minorities, not setting the bar a little higher so that it's a little harder to outvote some minorities.

I'm fairly certain his assumption that all men would just jump on the rape-wagon tells us a thing or two about his own mindset as well.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: November 24, 2013, 06:25:35 am »

I'm fairly certain his assumption that all men would just jump on the rape-wagon tells us a thing or two about his own mindset as well.
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: November 24, 2013, 09:34:37 am »

Rush Limbaugh is heavily misogynistic. It's all part of the territory of being an ultra-conservative talking head.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:16 am »

Well apparently two of the men would not jump on the wagon.  But the others would still be able to pass the rule change anyway because ???

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: November 24, 2013, 10:12:25 am »

Ok, going to address the Iran thing. Iran and the six World Powers have reached a deal, the first in a decade, to temporarily halt Iran's enriching of Uranium above 5% (The level required for Energy production but only 1/4 the enrichment required for a weapon) and dilute or convert uranium above the 5% mark, and not expand it's capability in any way in exchange for an easing of sanctions, for a period of six months while negotiation to halt the larger program and remove all sanctions continue.

Hardliners in all countries are mad and critical, Netanyahu predicts doom, and both Obama and new moderate president of Iran Hassan Rouhani walk away with a victory to show their friends. Congress critical, sanctions relief will be done through executive order, John Kerry achieves an aspect of his foreign policy agenda.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 667