Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821791 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4500 on: November 22, 2013, 03:08:47 pm »

Now, now, not everyone in Alaska is like her. She has plenty of critics there, too.

people in a region not being exactly the same as a prominent person from said region? now that's unpossible

generalizations are evil things and i have no idea from where you guys got that i were going more along the "shit let's not take in american citizens they're going to shoot us in the face when they see us and that is horrible" route because red scare i mean the communist trifecta should be a hint here
Yes, but Americans stereotyping other Americans based on their state of residence is American as Mom, apple pie, baseball and hating New Jersey.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »

Now, now, not everyone in Alaska is like her. She has plenty of critics there, too.

people in a region not being exactly the same as a prominent person from said region? now that's unpossible

generalizations are evil things and i have no idea from where you guys got that i were going more along the "shit let's not take in american citizens they're going to shoot us in the face when they see us and that is horrible" route because red scare i mean the communist trifecta should be a hint here
Yes, but Americans stereotyping other Americans based on their state of residence is American as Mom, apple pie, baseball and hating New Jersey.

* LordSlowpoke takes notes

who do the people in new jersey hate

do they hate themselves

if they do why do they still live in new jersey, is it a banishment site or is being from new jersey a state of mind that you can't really escape from

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: November 22, 2013, 03:20:42 pm »

do they hate themselves

if they do why do they still live in new jersey, is it a banishment site or is being from new jersey a state of mind that you can't really escape from
The running joke in New York is that they piled up all the garbage in New York City and pushed it across the river and named it Newark.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: November 22, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »

do they hate themselves

The running joke in New York is that they piled up all the garbage in New York City and pushed it across the river and named it Newark.
Sure smells like it; although I believe the running joke is when a person from new Jersey finds another person from New Jersey, they say "Oh cool, what exit"? The joke-answering being that the only thing of note in Jersey are the highways to other places.

Anyways, The Capital is in Chaos after the nuclear option, Obama is the current mouthpiece regarding it. Obama has refused calls to fire people in the HHS in the post-nuclear landscape (which is a term that is much, much less interesting then it sounds), but has pushed the enrollment date to March 31st. Freshman Republican Rep. Trey Radel, currently embroiled in a cocaine scandal, has refused calls to resign, checking into rehab for several months; notably, no one in the upper Republican leadership has called for him to resign, a significant break from the past. The FCC may relax restrictions on cellphones in-flight, leading to a petition to Obama to stop it.

And for the crazy segment, here is Rush Limbaugh saying changing the rules leads to legalizing rape. Or something.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: November 22, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »

And for the crazy segment, here is Rush Limbaugh saying changing the rules leads to legalizing rape. Or something.
You obviously didn't actually read the article, or saw it had a Rush Limbaugh opinion, and immediately said to yourself "I better draw devil horns and a goatee on this motherfucker!", regardless of it's content. The "rape rule" scenario was hyperbolic to demonstrate the point behind it. That point being that if rules are too easy to change or ignore, then they are meaningless.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: November 22, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »

Uh... this is the same Rush Limbaugh that spent several years arguing the filibuster should be done away with, right? I don't think he is doing himself any favours here, then.

Also, the analogy is so retarded I can't even figure out what he's actually trying to say.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:37:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: November 22, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »

You obviously didn't actually read the article, or saw it had a Rush Limbaugh opinion, and immediately said to yourself "I better draw devil horns and a goatee on this motherfucker!", regardless of it's content. The "rape rule" scenario was hyperbolic to demonstrate the point behind it. That point being that if rules are too easy to change or ignore, then they are meaningless.
I had a rage-tinged explanation denouncing Limbaugh as quite possibly the foulest sort of being in our society, but I found this managed to make so much more sense, so much more concisely: I'd like to see why you think a rape metaphor was a reasonable thing to make. Why, say, murder wouldn't have sufficed. Or Slavery, as seems to be the fashion. Why rape, an inherently emotionally fraught topic, one of much controversy and one which people of higher levels of importance then him have lost their positions for?

I still have the explanation if you feel the need.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: November 22, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »

I had a rage-tinged explanation denouncing Limbaugh as quite possibly the foulest sort of being in our society, but I found this managed to make so much more sense, so much more concisely: I'd like to see why you think a rape metaphor was a reasonable thing to make. Why, say, murder wouldn't have sufficed. Or Slavery, as seems to be the fashion. Why rape, an inherently emotionally fraught topic, one of much controversy and one which people of higher levels of importance then him have lost their positions for?

I still have the explanation if you feel the need.
I'm sorry, but what angle are you driving at, now? It looks like you are disputing the use of rape specifically, and suggesting that it is worse than murder or slavery.

Also, please elaborate on why you, specifically, hate Limbaugh so much? Though, I feel I probably already know the answer to this, I feel it is necessary to address your argument further.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: November 22, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »

Remember when Limbaugh openly accused a woman of being a prostitute because she talked about her friend needing birth control to treat her ovarian cancer?  Or that time he said that all wanted criminals look like Jesse Jackson (wink wink, nudge nudge)?

He's a great bloke.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:19 pm »

Remember when Limbaugh openly accused a woman of being a prostitute because she talked about her friend needing birth control to treat her ovarian cancer?  Or that time he said that all wanted criminals look like Jesse Jackson (wink wink, nudge nudge)?

He's a great bloke.
No, I don't really keep up with specific political personalities very much. Too much shit to sift through.

Please provide links.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:10:21 pm by Lagslayer »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: November 22, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »

Or the time he allegedly said on the radio to a black caller he couldn't understand "take that bone out of your nose and call me back"?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: November 22, 2013, 07:20:00 pm »

Those are both pretty easy to look up.

http://theweek.com/article/index/225214/rush-limbaugh-vs-sandra-fluke-a-timeline
"What does that make her?" he asks. "It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3928
"Have you ever noticed how all newspaper composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?" (Newsday, 10/8/90)
There are some other great quotes on that page too
Limbaugh admitted to Newsday's Richard Gehr (10/8/90) that as a DJ in Pittsburgh in the 1970s he had once dismissed a black caller by saying, "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back."
Limbaugh praised former segregationist Sen. Strom Thurmond for calling a gay soldier "not normal": "He's not encumbered by being politically correct.... If you want to know what America used to be--and a lot of people wish it still were--then you listen to Strom Thurmond."
Just to be clear, this is the same Strom Thurmond who tried to filibuster the CRA and who also supports segregation.  But I guess Limbaugh is prepared to voice his support as long as he hates gay people.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: November 22, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »

Sounds like a real top notch bloke. I would love to know where he lives, just so I can shake his hand.
And maybe while I'm over in the states I might make use of those loose gun restrictions and pick up a firearm, just for personal reasons you understand.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: November 22, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »

Technically speaking, his quote about Strom Thurmond isn't wrong. He just doesn't see it in the context that everybody else does.

Thurmond lives in Willowbrook Cemetary, where he has resided since his death in 2003. Oh, and he had a secret mixed-race child.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: November 22, 2013, 07:45:52 pm »

His claim is irrelevant. It has some merits, but it's irrelevant. I can tell you have a bit of a thing going on with "I don't subscribe to political theories", so bear with me as I sound ignorantly idealistic apparently.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Technically speaking, his quote about Strom Thurmond isn't wrong. He just doesn't see it in the context that everybody else does.

Thurmond lives in Willowbrook Cemetary, where he has resided since his death in 2003. Oh, and he had a secret mixed-race child.
Thurmond also holds the record for longest Filibuster, of the Civil rights act, for more the 24 hours (he recited the criminal code of the states for much of it).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:48:07 pm by misko27 »
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 667