Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822324 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4245 on: November 03, 2013, 10:37:17 pm »

Spoiler: My feelings exactly (click to show/hide)
>North Virginia
>2013
>areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpeg

This is fucking war.
Get a rope.
It's not enough. An example must be made. I think it's time we gave the squid a field test.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: November 03, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you Europeans were so sensitive about this stuff.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: November 03, 2013, 11:21:30 pm »

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you Europeans were so sensitive about this stuff.

put that squid down what are you new at this

* LordSlowpoke pulls out a crate of foxes and a tub of mayonnaise

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: November 03, 2013, 11:22:50 pm »

*eye twitch*

I'm reminded of my first trip to Australia. Someone found out where I hailed from and asked me if we still had slaves. Without missing a beat, I responded, "No, do you still have a ball-and-chain around your ankles?"

He bought me a beer for that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 04, 2013, 12:09:53 am »

But how many of you can name all the states in alphabetical order without looking it up? I know it by heart. When I was in primary school, one of the teachers had a song with all of them in order.
I still remember that song.  I can name all the states, but I can't do it without singing. <_<

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: November 04, 2013, 12:46:34 am »

*eye twitch*

I'm reminded of my first trip to Australia. Someone found out where I hailed from and asked me if we still had slaves. Without missing a beat, I responded, "No, do you still have a ball-and-chain around your ankles?"

He bought me a beer for that.
Sounds like he got revenge then.
Nothing worse than Australian beer.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:31 am »

Where are the nukes? Can they reach Australia? What am I saying, Of course they can...

According my calculations, 30.7% of all Australia's land and 704,000 people of it's population could be wiped out by the current US arsenal, not including the massive population density bias towards cities and the east (more then 80% of Australia lives in the East), and that because of subsidiary effects there is considerable overlap in those missiles that could allow them to cover more ground. Between EMPs, radiation sweeping the plain, and the complete collapse of their economic, agricultural, and social systems, Australia would face annihilation at the hands of nuclear war.

This reminds me of the time I spent nuking Australia in Defcon. There weren't any cities there, I just figured they should have a share of the nuclear fire.

put that squid down what are you new at this

* LordSlowpoke pulls out a crate of foxes and a tub of mayonnaise
Squid, fox, what? Is there a nursery rhyme going on here?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: November 04, 2013, 09:24:06 am »

I can't remember where I got this link.  It might have been from this forum.  It's been sitting on my tabs for a while waiting to be read.  I'll risk re-posting it, because it's pretty outrageous.  The guy's writing is highly sensationalist, but don't let it drown out the core thing he's relating.

USDA: Rural population needed not for farming but for cannon fodder

TLDR:  The U.S. Secretary of Agriculture gave a speech about how rural farming populations are dropping, and this is bad because those populations are the military's main source of recruits.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:49 am »

It seems a little odd considering the US military has more recruits than it needs. Plus I thought the big new military policy of the century is supposed to be all about quality over quantity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:52 am »

Eh, it'll probably shift over to other low income/few-to-no possibilities groups in due time. S'definitely the main reason I've seen that rural kids enlist (and yeah, I'm a rural kid, that's gone to by-and-large rural schools, so I've kinda' been surrounded by them), after all*. Money and training (paid for school, etc.). Not sure why the rest of the country's poor hasn't cottoned on to the moneybag, but I can only imagine it'll happen sooner or later, especially if recruitment efforts start preying focusing on 'em.

*I mean, the patriotism or whatever is there, I guess, but it's definitely not been what I've heard as reason #1.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: November 04, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

Almost everyone I've known or talked to about military service approached it as a job.  Usually in pursuit of some educational prospect.  I can think of one person who actually wanted to see combat, and he was discharged pretty much for being too dumb to live.

I just thought the article was noteworthy because it's a major government official directly admitting to his institution having social engineering aspirations for the sake of their own agenda.  The kind of stuff that's usually strict conspiracy theory territory.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: November 04, 2013, 10:21:40 am »

In something completely different, the Senate will take up ENDA (Employment Non-Discrimination Act, mostly aimed at LGBT) again soon. A cloture vote is on Monday. It is expected to pass the Senate with 60 votes. Boehner is against the bill, saying it will cost jobs, through frivolous legislation.

Almost everyone I've known or talked to about military service approached it as a job.  Usually in pursuit of some educational prospect.  I can think of one person who actually wanted to see combat, and he was discharged pretty much for being too dumb to live.

I just thought the article was noteworthy because it's a major government official directly admitting to his institution having social engineering aspirations for the sake of their own agenda.  The kind of stuff that's usually strict conspiracy theory territory.
On the other hand, most people don't suspect the Department of agriculture of shady business.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: November 04, 2013, 10:26:09 am »

I honestly wonder if he wasn't just saying it to convince people to back agricultural investments.

But yeah, the military has far less interest in bloodthirsty killers than you'd think. I've actually considered joining the military, but I don't think I could do it on account of my pacifistic attitudes. I seriously just don't want to be involved in a business that's all about hurting/killing/threatening people, even if it's for a legitimate or good cause (assuming here it is genuinely legitimate and good).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: November 04, 2013, 11:22:44 am »

On the other hand, most people don't suspect the Department of agriculture of shady business.
"Most" would be pretty accurate, sure. There's some pretty scuzzy shit going on with agriculture in the states, though. Fairly serious corruption in a number of areas, lots of nasty crap.

S'a bit of a shame that even when stuff actually ends up public/visibly breaking it doesn't stay in the public mind for very long. More people aware of it might actually bring some positive change about :-\

Maybe it's part of the whole food-disconnect thing (not really knowing how/where/etc. your food comes from/about) that happens nowadays? You'd think people would be more concerned about the most vital of logistics but...

Not to say I'm much better, of course, ha. Even among those somewhat concerned it just doesn't seem to be a priority. Which is... odd, thinking on it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: November 04, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »

This was how the really smart draft dodgers got out of it back in the day. You get drafted, you show up on schedule and constantly talk about your love of death and how eager you are to kill as many people as possible, including those who are traditionally civilians.

Bam, discharged by the military and in no legal trouble.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 667