Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822413 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4140 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:45 am »

If your Black or Asian, you should apply British slurs to any and all white people. They all look alike anyways. I'm just not sure which will be more insulted, the British or Americans.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: November 01, 2013, 12:18:50 pm »

That's a fair cop. IIRC, the mountains were always a reluctant part of the Confederacy (to the point that East Tennessee tried to break away like West Virginia, and the CSA had to station a regiment of troops in western NC during the whole war to keep it line). I've heard two main reasons offered for this:

1. Scotch-Irish heritage meant that they were fiercely independent and did not like being ordered around by Richmond any more than they did by Washington.
2. The geography and climate of the Appalachians lends itself to tiny farmsteads rather than plantations. As a result, rates of slave ownership in the mountains were extremely low. Thus, the mountaineers had no real economic stake in preserving slavery and saw the war as being fought to save the flatlanders' wealth.

I think the latter is probably more accurate.
The mountains were reluctant to originally join the Union as well. Strongly Antifederalist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:23 pm »

The Scots of North Carolina (as opposed to the Scots-Irish) were also very anti-American during the Revolution. The majority were Loyalists and ended up in Canada.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:29:17 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: November 01, 2013, 12:38:48 pm »

Shots fired at LAX, at least one TSA officer injured.

Damn it, not again. I don't even find these things shocking anymore.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: November 01, 2013, 01:39:49 pm »

Worst part is that I'm not shocked either. I just find myself thinking "Damn, I'm glad that isn't my job anymore...."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: November 01, 2013, 03:44:20 pm »

Interesting that despite California having gun laws that are in some ways more restrictive than the UK (we have no magazine restrictions, they certainly do, to the point of needing to put keys in semi automatics and stuff to reload them) and being very, very tight with everything, they still can't stop a guy going into an airport "with an assault rifle" according to news reports and shooting it up.

Regardless, he is unlikely to have been carrying an assault rifle because "assault rifles" are extremely rare in the United States. That won't stop news reporters calling it that though, "AR15 assault shotgun" springs to mind regarding the DC shootings.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:48:00 pm by Owlbread »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: November 01, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »

Yeah, but the problem with state-based gun control in the US is that little stops someone from getting a gun in a state with looser controls and simply driving over to a state with tighter controls to use it. Unless you get pulled over and your car searched for some reason, no one is ever going to know you have the illegal gun until it is too late.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: November 01, 2013, 04:01:36 pm »

We'll wait and see if he was from California in that case, and what he was using.

Yeah, but the problem with state-based gun control in the US is that little stops someone from getting a gun in a state with looser controls and simply driving over to a state with tighter controls to use it. Unless you get pulled over and your car searched for some reason, no one is ever going to know you have the illegal gun until it is too late.

Very few people do this in the gun community I believe based on what I've heard. They know it's a real minefield and regularly complain about having to go through various painstaking processes whenever they change states.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:04:02 pm by Owlbread »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4149 on: November 01, 2013, 04:04:04 pm »

"AR15 assault shotgun" springs to mind regarding the DC shootings.

I... what? How does... but it doesn't...
How can anyone even believe that? We have wikipedia for fuck's sake. Freedom of information is supposed to limit that sort of blatant misinformation. Unless someone really did modify an AR15 to not be an AR15 and operate like an AA12, or just any sort of shotgun considering how bullshit vague "assault" is?

We also have to wait and see what kind of gun it even is to see if it's even possible to obtain easily/legally and if it's been modified illegally.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4150 on: November 01, 2013, 04:05:23 pm »

Interesting that despite California having gun laws that are in some ways more restrictive than the UK (we have no magazine restrictions, they certainly do, to the point of needing to put keys in semi automatics and stuff to reload them) and being very, very tight with everything, they still can't stop a guy going into an airport "with an assault rifle" according to news reports and shooting it up.

Regardless, he is unlikely to have been carrying an assault rifle because "assault rifles" are extremely rare in the United States. That won't stop news reporters calling it that though, "AR15 assault shotgun" springs to mind regarding the DC shootings.

All we know so far, per a statement from Patrick Gannon, Chief of Airport Police, is that the shooter used an "assault rifle."

Let's start the script from the top, then? First we have the crazed gunman, then we have people saying "you know, maybe we should do something to prevent crazy people from getting guns, then the NRA says that the founding fathers will spin in their graves and the foundations of civilization crumble away and Obama will literally transform into Hitler if a single crazed psychopath is somehow slowed in his acquisition of rifles, handguns, and fully-armed helicopter gunships. For self-defense.

Then nothing changes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: November 01, 2013, 04:06:29 pm »

I don't really understand what you're getting at, PTTG.

I... what? How does... but it doesn't...
How can anyone even believe that? We have wikipedia for fuck's sake. Freedom of information is supposed to limit that sort of blatant misinformation. Unless someone really did modify an AR15 to not be an AR15 and operate like an AA12, or just any sort of shotgun considering how bullshit vague "assault" is?

I'm quoting CNN's idiot reporters who heard rumours of a "long gun", then "long black gun", then "black assault rifle", then "ar-15", then "shotgun" so they tried to make sense of the two things that they didn't understand by smashing them together like imbeciles.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:11:34 pm by Owlbread »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: November 01, 2013, 04:08:47 pm »

Remember, if everyone had guns there would never be gun incidents.

Oh wait, LAX is the most heavily protected airport in the world.

Guess guns don't have a magic anti-gun aura.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4153 on: November 01, 2013, 04:09:49 pm »

I'm not "getting at" anything. It's just what happens every time.

Though I did want to add that it's apparently from the Sheriff himself that some kind of "assault rifle". His words.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4154 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »

Remember, if everyone had guns there would never be gun incidents.

Oh wait, LAX is the most heavily protected airport in the world.

Guess guns don't have a magic anti-gun aura.

Guess no officer at the scene had their own gun to shoot the original shooter dead when he brandished his own weapon, or after he fired any number of shots. Guess there were not adequate safety precautions to make sure that no one with a firearm gained access to the densely occupied area. Guess it's not as heavily protected as it reports itself to be.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 667