Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822441 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4125 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »

So, since we don't really have anything more important to talk about, I present to you Decision Night 2013. In the municipal elections of my town of Boone.

Our mayoral candidates are:

-A Progressive Democrat
-A Liberal Republican
-A Write-In Student
-An Independent Barber

Isn't democracy just great?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: October 31, 2013, 02:49:00 pm »

"He cut your hair for 15 years. Let him cut your taxes!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:59 pm »

...That is an awesome slogan. I'd vote for that.
Love, scriver~

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:02 pm »

George Burns always said "Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: October 31, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »

George Burns always said "Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair."
You see, I always heard a different phrase:  "When taxi drivers start giving you stock tips, it's time to sell".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: October 31, 2013, 11:44:49 pm »

...That is an awesome slogan. I'd vote for that.
+1. Considering to become a barber.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: November 01, 2013, 09:30:52 am »

So, since we don't really have anything more important to talk about, I present to you Decision Night 2013. In the municipal elections of my town of Boone.

Our mayoral candidates are:

-A Progressive Democrat
-A Liberal Republican
-A Write-In Student
-An Independent Barber

Isn't democracy just great?

And this is why college towns are the best places. I'm sure if you went 25 miles away into the mountains, you'd have a mayoral race between a Klansman, a hellfire-and-brimstone Southern Baptist preacher, and a guy what done seen Jesus when he was out deer hunting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: November 01, 2013, 09:40:30 am »

The odd part is that from what I know of it, the mountainous regions of NC have historically had better race relations than everywhere else in the state. Mind you, that might have something to do with there barely being any non-whites up here even now, but it's still worth noting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:51 am »

The odd part is that from what I know of it, the mountainous regions of NC have historically had better race relations than everywhere else in the state. Mind you, that might have something to do with there barely being any non-whites up here even now, but it's still worth noting.
That's a fair cop. IIRC, the mountains were always a reluctant part of the Confederacy (to the point that East Tennessee tried to break away like West Virginia, and the CSA had to station a regiment of troops in western NC during the whole war to keep it line). I've heard two main reasons offered for this:

1. Scotch-Irish heritage meant that they were fiercely independent and did not like being ordered around by Richmond any more than they did by Washington.
2. The geography and climate of the Appalachians lends itself to tiny farmsteads rather than plantations. As a result, rates of slave ownership in the mountains were extremely low. Thus, the mountaineers had no real economic stake in preserving slavery and saw the war as being fought to save the flatlanders' wealth.

I think the latter is probably more accurate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:57 am »

In this country, the fewer white people there are in an area, it generally has better race relations because there's less opportunity for conflict. They've also had far less experience.

This combined with the two points RedKing has made is enough to explain why there'd be better race relations in the mountainous regions of North Carolina I think.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:05:38 am by Owlbread »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4135 on: November 01, 2013, 10:47:56 am »

I was also surprised at some of the things I learned from my great aunt concerning where she grew up in TN. She grew up in a really rural area, and when the race riots were going through TN (when she was much older but she was staying at that town for a while) they tried to come to her town, but the blacks in town actually met them before they could go through and basically described the situation and how they were treated well like everyone else and the race riot turned around and went somewhere else.

The town I live near has a small population of blacks compared to whites, and at first you'd think they were segregated considering they mostly live on one side of the town, but everyone's really nice together. I don't think I've ever actually heard a racial slur when I was growing up in school unless it was committed by my group of friends and it was a racial slur against Asians as a joke with one of our friends who is Filipino.
Then there's another town in the county that prides itself (like, literally prides itself) that they have an all-white population. I wouldn't say that it's exactly dangerous for non-whites to visit there, but they do feel uncomfortable and if they moved there they'd likely be run out of town by making living conditions/rent/job/etc. nearly impossible.
So there's some good and some bad.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: November 01, 2013, 11:29:44 am »

Asian racial slurs doesn't really apply to Filipinos since Asian racial slurs mostly to East Asia(China, Japan, Korea), Indochina and the Malays. It's why mostly Filipinos laugh at those slurs, almost none of them apply to Filipinos.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:34:57 am by majikero »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: November 01, 2013, 11:30:55 am »

Those are West Asia?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:39 am »

Opps, I meant EAST ASIA. Dammit, I keep forgetting directions. Edit it now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: November 01, 2013, 11:47:04 am »

It IS a little disturbing that you need to have a huge white population percentage for them to feel alright with a few blacks/asians around and have good race relations. >_____>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 667