Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819612 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #3660 on: October 19, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »

I totally agree, which is why I backed up why I think highly of her. I included that because I was already talking about Hillary, and a go-to point against anyone who dislikes Hillary tends to be "You just don't want a female president." That same sort of thinking also has to do with race preference for a candidate, so I threw both of them in.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: October 19, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »

Ah... Yea I really am not a huge fan of that sort of ad hominem clap trap.
Don't like Obama? Forget the drone strikes and the surveillance, it must be because he is black! Aren't a fan of [Republican goes here]? Can't be due to their horrifically bad economic policy or lack of understanding of secularism, it must just be white guilt and you hate successful white people.

Still, if this Rice character is good lets hope she is successful, because from the outside looking in things don't seem to be going well right now and you could use a few good people.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3662 on: October 19, 2013, 07:48:57 pm »

My main issue with Hillary Clinton is that her relation to Bill Clinton ties her pretty strongly with the Centrist Democrats. I think the political climate is right for a Progressive Democrat to fix the rightward shift that Reagan caused, and that this opportunity should be taken.

I don't care very much about her having been for video game censorship, partly because it has been a long time since then, but mostly because the Supreme Court has codified video games as receiving first amendment protections. Besides, at this point trying to get rid of video games means losing the youth vote, and Democrats thrive on the youth vote. It's ideologically and pragmatically unsound.

Problem is that Obama campaigned as a progressive democrat, and then turned out to be a moderately conservative republican.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: October 19, 2013, 07:59:12 pm »

One can only hope Warren puts her hat in the ring.
Oh god, please don't make this Clinton v. Biden v. Warren. How the hell am I supposed to choose‽ :D

Again, I've not been around to see Hillary Clinton when she was most public, so I'd have to do some digging before my opinions are worth much :) . I would like to see some of those details, because so far you've simply described a curmudgeon, and that's not an automatic bad thing, at least not to me.

(And for what it's worth, I'd rather not see anyone from the Bush family or administration get the job of president anytime soon, thank you very much. No Rice for me. I imagine part of this opinion happened because I was but a child during the Bush administration.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3664 on: October 19, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »

Still, if this Rice character is good lets hope she is successful, because from the outside looking in things don't seem to be going well right now and you could use a few good people.

Nah, she's not even active in politics, I just really wish she was. She's been involved in politics since the mid 80's when she was the only one saying that the Soviet Union would collapse and then also accurately predicted when, where and how each step would happen. After she did that, basically everyone ever wanted her as an advisor. The highest up she got was Secretary of State during Bush's second term. Since then, she's stepped away, "West of the Mississippi where I belong", to go back to being a professor.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: October 19, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »

President Ventura.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: October 19, 2013, 08:07:34 pm »

My main issue with Hillary Clinton is that her relation to Bill Clinton ties her pretty strongly with the Centrist Democrats. I think the political climate is right for a Progressive Democrat to fix the rightward shift that Reagan caused, and that this opportunity should be taken.

I don't care very much about her having been for video game censorship, partly because it has been a long time since then, but mostly because the Supreme Court has codified video games as receiving first amendment protections. Besides, at this point trying to get rid of video games means losing the youth vote, and Democrats thrive on the youth vote. It's ideologically and pragmatically unsound.

Problem is that Obama campaigned as a progressive democrat, and then turned out to be a moderately conservative republican.
All the same, Obama did set up a political climate where the standards for correctness are not the far-right, and where liberal has largely ceased to be a dirty word.

I'm not sure if I'd ever have seen him as a progressive democrat. He's always been very pan-Democrat, though left of Bill Clinton.

I don't accept the claim he's the same as the moderate Republicans, though. While certainly disappointing since we need a more left-wing leader in these times, Obama is definitely left of the moderate Republicans. He might be a moderate Republican from the 70's, but not today.
Oh god, please don't make this Clinton v. Biden v. Warren. How the hell am I supposed to choose‽ :D
I'd be good with President Biden. Ridiculous gaffes and all, he was very effective while in the Senate (you don't get chosen for VP without a reason). He seems fairly kind as well, though you can afford to be like that when you're VP. That said, he's nearing questionable age.
President Ventura.
Hell no. While I'd take him over the Tea Party, we don't need a conspiracy theorist and dramatist like him in the White House.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: October 19, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »

I just enjoy the idea of him in office. Over the Syrian crisis he would have physically overpowered Putin.

Of course, name a President you've had in the last 40 years who isn't a dramatist.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »

I just enjoy the idea of him in office. Over the Syrian crisis he would have physically overpowered Putin.

Of course, name a President you've had in the last 40 years who isn't a dramatist.
George Washington.

(You edited your post to include the "last 40 years" clause right before I hit reply. I choose to ignore it.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: October 19, 2013, 08:16:30 pm »

He was probably an old melodramatic fruit himself.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: October 19, 2013, 08:18:15 pm »

He's dramatic even by their standards.
He was probably an old melodramatic fruit himself.
Well, his farewell address was an ominous warning that the Union could be brought low by political parties and becoming involved in international politics. I'd say that's fairly dramatic.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: October 19, 2013, 08:33:31 pm »

I'd be good with President Biden. Ridiculous gaffes and all, he was very effective while in the Senate (you don't get chosen for VP without a reason). He seems fairly kind as well, though you can afford to be like that when you're VP. That said, he's nearing questionable age.
Isn't Biden pro death penalty or something along those lines?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: October 19, 2013, 08:39:36 pm »

Isn't Biden pro death penalty or something alone those lines?
He is, as is Obama, as are the vast majority of national politicians because support for abolishing the death penalty in America is about 32%.

Doesn't really matter. The US death penalty will be ended by the judiciary, not the legislature.

But I will show you two figures I do like:
Group    Advocacy issue(s)    Ratings Lifetime    Recent Rating    Date
AFL-CIO    labor unions    85%[2]    100%    2003
AUSCS    church-state separation       100%    2006
APHA    public health       100%    2003
CTJ    progressive taxation       100%    2006
NAACP    minorities & affirmative action       100%    2006
LCV    environmental protection    83%[3]    95%    2003
NEA    public education       91%    2003
ARA    senior citizens       89%    2003
CAF    energy security       83%    2006
PA    peace and disarmament       80%    2003
HRC    gay and lesbian rights       78%    2006
NARAL    abortion rights    ~72%[4]    75%[5]    2007
CURE    criminal rehabilitation       71%    2000
ACLU    civil and political rights    80%[6]    60%    2002
Cato    free trade and libertarianism       42%    2002
US CoC    corporate interests       32%    2003
CCA    Christian family values       16%    2003
NTU    lowering taxes       15%    2003
USBC    immigration controls       8%    2006
NRLC    restrictions on abortion       0%    2006
NRA    gun ownership       F    2003
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: October 19, 2013, 08:40:43 pm »

Biden is a dunce that thought copying Neil Kinnock was a good idea.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: October 19, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »

The secular groups like him? Sorry criminals, you are going to have to take one for the team!
Also love the NRA rating there.  :P

Still, surprising just how much support their is for the death penalty. That is generally seen far, far right policy.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 667