Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819081 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

Reid and McConnell have reached a deal, with no opposition from Cruz. Now it's all on the House, and especially on Boehner. It's nearly impossible that the bill will get through the Hastert Rule, so depending on how spineless Boehner is we could still tank.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:47:47 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: DECEM HORAE Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3466 on: October 16, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »

Hnn... for what it's worth, Boehner's apparently ignored the Hastert rule a few times already. What's one more, eh? Can bloody hope, anyway :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3467 on: October 16, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »

This isn't impressive. It'd depressing. I've been trying to come up with a simile that's appropriate for this and I think the best one is that Congress has, after months and months of trial and error, gotten second place in this game.

They successfully, and with only seconds to spare, gotten their collective pants off.

This is the entirety of their success.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: October 16, 2013, 01:33:31 pm »

This is a bit like watching a meteorite move very close to the Earth.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: October 16, 2013, 02:02:53 pm »

Or even into an unstable near-earth orbit. The proposed bill funds the gov't through Jan 15 - three months - and raises the debt ceiling through Feb 7 - three and a half months. So rather than this fight being a yearly event, we can look forward to it roughly every quarter! Hooray!!

Nothing bad will ever come of this.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »

I'll call Mr. Willis.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:50 pm »

Or even into an unstable near-earth orbit. The proposed bill funds the gov't through Jan 15 - three months - and raises the debt ceiling through Feb 7 - three and a half months. So rather than this fight being a yearly event, we can look forward to it roughly every quarter! Hooray!!

Nothing bad will ever come of this.
Of course.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: October 16, 2013, 02:23:25 pm »

http://rt.com/usa/senate-leaders-reach-deal-default-269/
The line from that which surprised me was:
Quote from: Above news article
Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio), the speaker of the House, is prepared to rely on Democratic votes in Congress to approve the bipartisan deal, NBC News correspondent Kelly O’Donnell heard from sources.
Oh, I hope it's true.

And for what it's worth, I've never liked the Hastert rule, it's never made much sense. Not only because it's very possible to pass bills without the majority of the majority, but also because I get this sense that it operates on a misunderstanding of the process. We vote on bills to see if a majority of the House agrees on it, not as a formality when a majority of the House agrees on it, right? I of course understand trying to get as many people as possible to go for the bill beforehand, but I just get this sense of a wrong attitude about the vote's purpose from things like the Hastert rule. The Hastert rule in particular has the added bonus of discouraging compromise in favor of partisanship (specifically, by making a bill pass with enough of the minority party + a minority of the majority look like a bad thing).

Of course, the fact that the Hastert rule is a very recent invention doesn't help my opinion of its worth.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »

I'll call Mr. Willis.

He'll need an ample supply of shoulder holsters, infinite M9 magazines, bloodied, torn vests and world-weary humour. Probably a sidekick as well.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: October 16, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »

I can see a good point for the rule. Don't want to waste time on a vote you know will fail, and instead use that time to re-hash the bill to something that WILL pass.

In practice, I don't know if that's the rationale, or if it's what it's used for.

Edit: Reading the wiki article on it makes me realize that, once again, I assumed the American democracy was actually trying to be efficient and democratic. Nope, it's not "majority of the house will vote for a bill, or else we won't put it to the floor", it's "Majority of the majority will vote for it, regardless of the house majority or if the votes are in the minority, or else we won't put it to the floor"

If you guys don't default, I'm hoping all this dirty laundry of -how- you guys run your system puts some impetus to at least token change. Like seriously, everywhere you turn there's institutional corruption and "You can't be serious" systems in place.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:35:22 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: October 16, 2013, 02:37:02 pm »

I can see a good point for the rule. Don't want to waste time on a vote you know will fail, and instead use that time to re-hash the bill to something that WILL pass.

In practice, I don't know if that's the rationale, or if it's what it's used for.
Like I said, making deals, convincing others to go along with you, is a good thing. I suppose I just don't like how it's been codified as a "how to have a successful vote" (Make sure it passes the vote!) rule instead of a "how to have a successful bill" (Make sure a majority likes it!) rule.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being screwy in my opinions on what the vote means, and how I interpret the Hastert rule. All I know is that I would never hold it against Boehner or anyone else for "breaking the Hastert rule".
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Near as I can tell, the major purpose it serves is to ensure the Speaker remains Speaker by subverting the system in favor of the people who vote for Speakers. Corruption at its finest, somehow being upheld as a moral imperative.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

I will comment on the rules when on a computer, as opposed to a phone, but mini update: DOW surges 200 points because of deal.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Like I said, making deals, convincing others to go along with you, is a good thing. I suppose I just don't like how it's been codified as a "how to have a successful vote" (Make sure it passes the vote!) rule instead of a "how to have a successful bill" (Make sure a majority likes it!) rule.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being screwy in my opinions on what the vote means, and how I interpret the Hastert rule. All I know is that I would never hold it against Boehner or anyone else for "breaking the Hastert rule".
Read mah edit, babe~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

The Hastert rule is essentially "Make sure that the ONLY legislation to even see the light of day are the bills that we want". Could be a bill that's incredibly popular, that could have as much as 74% support in the House at large. But if the Republican Party is majority against it, it never even gets a chance at a vote. It's party discipline codified into a procedural hijack of the legislative process.

Should also be noted that, to my knowledge, ONLY the Republican party uses this "rule" (it's purely an internal party rule, not a procedural rule for Congress). Pelosi didn't pull this crap when the Dems last held the House.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 667