Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819407 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUOR Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3225 on: October 13, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »

Investing in that, I'd go after the cheaper one. You get more bang for your buck. If they both go up 1 dollar, then for every 1 of palladium you buy, you could have gotten 20 bucks from the beryllium.

It also goes the other way, if they both go down a dollar, you lose 20 bucks in beryllium compared to the palladium.

It all depends on how much they go up~ But the berylium has a 20-fold headstart on the palladium.
Yeah, but the way the market works, that's not exactly a fair comparison. The palladium is a lot likelier to fluctuate by whole dollar amounts because that's a smaller percentage of its current value, all else being equal (it never is in commodities, but eh). It's one reason penny stocks aren't automatically the correct investment strategy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: October 13, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/10/tennessee-valley-authority_n_3055345.html

Okay, first off, is that article from April 10th or from October 4th?

Second off, woah, woah, no, bad idea. Tennessee and the surrounding states have a lot of poverty going on, but one of the things that helps everyone survive is electricity being pretty darn cheap. Employment with benefits with TVA is also a really big deal for people. If you privatize the TVA, that all goes to hell, electricity costs whatever the owners want it to, employment benefits disappear, likely tons of legal loopholes after its sale due to it being a federal entity for the longest time and probably being exempt all over the place, etc.

It would ruin Tennessee. We'd lose the current re-industrialization we've got going on due to the low cost of electricity and other incentives (we don't have a lot else going for us, really). I don't know how far away the energy distribution for the TVA goes, but it would likely ruin them, too.

1: 4th of October.

2:I don't think the national power grid would like losing the public control over 11 coal-fired plants (ew.), 29 hydroelectric dams, 3 nuclear plants totaling 6 reactors, 9 simple-cycle natural gas plants, and 5 combined cycle natural gas plants. As well as small-scale facilities totaling 15 solar plants, a wind farm, and a waste-derived methane plant.

They're one of the biggest power producers in the US. Privatizing them wouldn't just ruin Tennessee, nor just the entire southern US. It'd be felt across the whole continental US.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: October 13, 2013, 04:37:55 pm »

Really, when has privatization ever made a system better?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: October 13, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »

No you don't understand! I read a book called Atlas Shrugged where everything was privatized and things were so much better for everybody! It solved all our problems! Clearly this works in real life and anybody saying otherwise is a lazy welfare slacker!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: October 13, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »

Speaking of which, does anyone want to take a break from thinking about how the world economy is doomed and read a comic about the life of Ayn Rand?  It's interesting in that it addresses the contradiction at the heart of her philosophy.

http://activatecomix.com/162-1-1.comic

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: October 13, 2013, 04:58:18 pm »

Industrial production of goods, for example. Privatization is only a bad idea if market forces are distorted* in the field in question, making government interference/nationalization the more efficient choice.

*By lack of competition, for example
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: October 13, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »

Speaking of which, does anyone want to take a break from thinking about how the world economy is doomed and read a comic about the life of Ayn Rand?  It's interesting in that it addresses the contradiction at the heart of her philosophy.

Interesting read so far, only on page 12 though. Perhaps most interesting so far is the very beginning of her life, and how that probably affected her worldview.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: October 13, 2013, 05:16:20 pm »

Spoiler: Responses (click to show/hide)
In other news, to quote Reporter Ben Hecht from 1918 Germany, "[Congress] is having a nervous breakdown. There is nothing sane to report." McConnell, who is Head of Senate Republicans and facing re-election next year, is stuck in the middle; between Senate Democrats led by Harry Reid, who want a longer Debt ceiling extension (original was 3 months) and to prevent a lock-in of sequestration level funding, and who can make him face trouble in his election on blame for the culmination of the crisis; or House Republicans (read: Tea-Party influenced republicans) led by John Boehner, who want a even shorter extension of the debt ceiling (6 weeks) and no agreement to fund the government, and who can bolster McConnell's right-wing challenger if he goes against them. No bill will pass the senate with Democratic support, the House is more of a toss-up due to extremely dissatisfied Moderate republicans.

I could say more, like about the posturing of Republican Presidential candidates, the fall of the Maine Republican's plan, or Rand Paul demanding the the Sequester be permanent while saying the debt ceiling should be respected, but none of that is all that important. Essentially the Democrats see the opportunity to force the Tea-Party into either capitulation, or total collapse. And the Tea-Party hasn't realized that it was out-maneuvered, went farther to protect itself, and faces a difficult decision that could manage to bypass them entirely either way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:18:08 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: October 13, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »

Sounds like a mix of narcissism and high functioning autism. I mean I'm sure as a web comic it is subject to bias, but still...

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: October 13, 2013, 06:23:05 pm »

Crap, I'm a day late posting this. Still relevant-ish though:

"It is represented to us that the universal suffrage, as now existing through the Union, is abused; that fraud and corruption prevent a fair and proper expression of the public voice; that open violation of the laws are constantly occurring, caused by mobs, parties, factions and undue influence of political sects; that the citizen has not that protection of person and property which he is entitled to by paying his pro rata of the expense of Government--in consequence of which, WE do hereby abolish Congress, and it is therefore abolished; and WE order and desire the representatives of all parties interested to appear at the Musical Hall of this city on the first of February next, and then and there take the most effective steps to remedy the evil complained of."

That was a proclamation from Oct 12 1859, made by His Imperial Majesty Norton I. So you see, recent events aren't so much a crisis as simply 154 years too late =D
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: October 13, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »

No you don't understand! I read a book called Atlas Shrugged where everything was privatized and things were so much better for everybody! It solved all our problems! Clearly this works in real life and anybody saying otherwise is a lazy welfare slacker!

In my experience, the logic of libertarians does not follow that getting closer to their ideal should result in improvements.  If you point to examples where de-regulation resulted in bad things, they'll point to the regulations that remained, even if they were barely of any consequence, and claim that any bad thing was a result of those regulations.  Their perspective is 100% all-or-nothing.  You either have an **absolutely** free market, or you have misery and despair.  There is no gradient between the two.

The biggest problem presented by this style of thinking is that libertarians are convinced that a free market has never actually existed, so their views cannot be refuted by any evidence.  They can argue with evidence against you, but any evidence you present in return is bound to have some shred of non-free market taint on it that makes it completely meaningless in their eyes.  So it's nearly impossible to ever reason with them politically.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:00:25 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: October 13, 2013, 07:01:33 pm »

So the only falsifiable test they will accept is one that could end in total economic disaster...
From the people who claim to be about objective rationality. Wow, that is pretty stupid. If you have no empirical evidence how can you possibly claim your ideals are more rational?

Then again I'm most likely preaching to the choir here.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:12:00 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: October 13, 2013, 07:10:45 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A&feature=share
So basically, there is basically no way for anyone but Boner to reopen the government.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: October 13, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A&feature=share
So basically, there is basically no way for anyone but Boner to reopen the government.

Please don't tell me this invalidates a potential discharge petition. I hope not.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 667