Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819577 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUINQUE Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3150 on: October 12, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »

You're running out of time USA. This is already pretty bad for business confidence, not to mention precedent for when you need to raise the debt limit next time.

So when is the next election? Also do you have elections for reps, sen and president at the same time?
Presidential election is every 4 years, there are congressional elections every 2. Represetnatives are elected to 2 year terms, the Senate to 6. Approximately 1/3 of the Senate faces election every 2 years.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: October 12, 2013, 06:03:08 pm »

So when is the next election? Also do you have elections for reps, sen and president at the same time?
Reps and 1/3rd of senate in 2014, then president, 1/3rd senate, and reps again in 2016.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: October 12, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »

I'm getting this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach that they're not actually going to be able to pull this off before we default.  :-[

I wasn't really politically cognizant during the 2011 debt ceiling debacle, so I can't really speak for that, but this time 'round does feel worse. I do hope though, that Wall Street continues to panic attack in Boehner's direction, and force him to just ignore the Tea Party.

I can't wait to either see firings in the House or a massively leftward success in 2014. Or both.

• Every member of the House of Representatives is up for election every two years. Next one is 2014.
  • Every member of the Senate is up for election every six years. Every two years about 1/3 of the Senate is up for election. The next third, Class II, is up in 2014.
  • President every four years. Next one is 2016.
  • Election years that aren't presidental elections are mid-term elections. Historically the party opposite the President does well in these midterms, but myself and others are hopeful the shutdown and default will fight against that pattern.
  • All contested positions (the House, one Class of the Senate, and the President) are voted on at the same time, yes. First Tuesday of November.
Those are the national positions, anyway. State positions and local-er have their own rules. For instance, Governer of Virgina is up for election this year, which is unusual because it's on an odd year.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: October 12, 2013, 06:05:33 pm »

In a way. Elections are staggered IIRC so not every representative or senator is up for election in the same round of elections. I think a round of legislative elections coincides with the presidential election but I'm not sure.
Staggered for Senators (so that a state doesn't have both Senators up for election the same cycle). They have 6-year terms.
Representatives have 2-year terms, so all 435 are up for re-election every 2 years. Unfortunately, the districts are so gerrymandered and party voting so high that a ridiculous number get re-elected no matter what.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: October 12, 2013, 06:07:00 pm »

I have this sick joy at the thought of the US defaulting.

I mean, it'd be horrific... But I kind of wanna see it happen. Just to see.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: October 12, 2013, 06:12:29 pm »

That is a somewhat convoluted way of going about things... We clean house every three years. It is pretty entertaining election night when you see votes starting to come in for each electorate.

I know right! You don't really want it to happen, but you can't want it to not happen.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: October 12, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »

Maybe if someone whips up a quick US Default Simulator 2013 and gives it to everyone in Congress, deals will happen. You also get to see the world economy blow up without actually doing it!

That is a somewhat convoluted way of going about things... We clean house every three years. It is pretty entertaining election night when you see votes starting to come in for each electorate.

Three years? Ew, that's an odd number. :)
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: October 12, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »

*Looks at information of US-Canadian Trade, sees Canada and US are each others biggest trading partners*

Now when you put it like that, yes I'd like a default.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: October 12, 2013, 06:21:39 pm »

Now we all get a pretty bad kick in the teeth should the US default. Rationally nobody wants it, and as sane, civilized humans we choose to act on the rational part of our mind...

But there is still that little irrational voice shouting "LETS DEFAULT! DON'T TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB! DO WHAT YOU WANT COZ A PIRATE IS FREEEEEE!!!!", the voice that is entertaining to humor, but you don't let it out of its cage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: October 12, 2013, 06:24:04 pm »

Actually, a bunch of people in the Tea Party do want it. As the theory goes, it will set the stage for the US to "become great again" (truly, the three most terrifying words in the lexicon of American politicians) by destroying the world economy, from which we will obviously emerge on top.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: October 12, 2013, 06:25:56 pm »

... I don't even have the least little inkling of nattering from such a voice, m'self. At all. There's... not really anything remotely entertaining about the immediate future getting more or less utterly fucked.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: October 12, 2013, 06:28:14 pm »

... I don't even have the least little inkling of nattering from such a voice, m'self. At all. There's... not really anything remotely entertaining about the immediate future getting more or less utterly fucked.

From a "I wonder what happens when a cornerstone of the global economy falls apart" perspective, the thought is entertaining.

From every other perspective, it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: October 12, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

America is one of the top economies?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: October 12, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »

America is one of the top economies?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I counter your hurtful image presentation with an explanation. :) We still would be AAA, were it not for the same instigators of the current spectacle.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: October 12, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »

All great powers must lose their mantle at some point. If this is our turn, who are we to resist fate?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 667