Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819872 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: SEPTEM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3060 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:02 pm »

Supposedly breaking news this hour: After the proposed six-week extension meeting failed to achieve anything today, it was just announced that the entire Republican Senate caucus will be meeting with President Obama tomorrow, with both continuing spending bills and an extension of the debt ceiling on the table.
It's a strange time to be a Senate Republican, I imagine. I'm not sure what they'll have to talk about outside of "oh dear god, what is wrong with the House Republicans".
Not entirely surprising, with the Koch Brothers (who spent over $200million this year alone on Tea Party groups and ads) officially distancing themselves from the shutdown, the Chamber of Commerce saying they want nothing to do with it, and every polling organization in the country showing three-quarters of the population blaming the Republican party primarily for their national parts and farm subsidies shutting down with Obama's approval rating the same 47% it's been forever.
To wit. If their approval rating gets much lower they won't be able to recover it.
Point/Counterpoint: The Republican Party Cannot Stand By And Let Obamacare Destroy This Country vs. Help Me.
You do realize that's from The Onion, right?
Of course I realize it. I've been posting Onion articles throughout this whole thing. What, I'm not allowed to enjoy the impending economic apocalypse?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3061 on: October 10, 2013, 09:51:50 pm »

Point/Counterpoint: The Republican Party Cannot Stand By And Let Obamacare Destroy This Country vs. Help Me.

The Onion is as valid a source of accurate political commentary as this countries largest and most profitable new channel.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: October 10, 2013, 09:57:24 pm »

To wit. If their approval rating gets much lower they won't be able to recover it.

I'll see your Gallup and raise you a Wall Street Journal / NBC poll. There's a link to the polling results PDF on that page. (Direct link if you don't want to navigate to the news site for some reason.) To summarize for those of you at home, with a margin of error of ±3.46%:
  • People blame the GOP (53%) more than the Democrats (31%) for the mess we're in. (Page 12 in your handy-dandy PDF)
  • People prefer a Democratic House next term (47%) over a GOP House (39%). (Page 9)
  • Favor for the ACA has gone up from 31% to 38%, and disfavor down from 44% to 43% over the past month. (Page 15)
  • 46% say Obama is a strong leader, while 51% say he's putting his agenda ahead of the country. Compare to Clinton's 49%-43% during the '95 shutdown, and the GOP's current 27%-70%. (Page 13)
  • For the difference between the percentage of those who have a positive image vs. negative image of various people and groups (henceforth D/S, from the poll's terminology):
    • Obama's D/S is at 6pp (percentage points), towards a more favorable view. Obama is the only one with more favor than disfavor in this question.
    • Boehner's D/S is at -25pp, towards a more disfavorable view.
    • Democratic party at -1pp, GOP at -29pp (the worst of all the D/S listings.)
    This is from a summary at the top of Page 8, which summarizes the top row of each person or group from Q5, which runs Pages 4-7.
Those are the important bits, at least. Have to go through the rest of this poll for more interesting things. From what I heard, this poll was big on Capitol Hill today, and it's not hard to see why.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: October 10, 2013, 10:00:23 pm »

Well, clearly they just avoided talking to the Silent Moral Majority of God-Fearing Americans that the Tea Party so loves.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: October 10, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »

"Just another attempt by the corrupt liberal media to bully the real heroes and overrule the silent majority." - The thoughts of every Tea Partier who hears about it

EDIT: Ninja'd
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:20 pm »

Of course I realize it. I've been posting Onion articles throughout this whole thing. What, I'm not allowed to enjoy the impending economic apocalypse?
Thought so. But it's difficult to tell these days.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: October 11, 2013, 02:54:37 am »

Although the second part of this Onion article is obvious satire, the first half is disturbingly credible.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: October 11, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »

I'm a political minority, and I have no illusions. But, frankly, I don't need validation from America's silent masses. If I take power, I will force the country to become what it needs to become, whether they want it or not.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: October 11, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »

If I take power, I will force the country to become what it needs to become, whether they want it or not.
Also said by: every dictator ever.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: October 11, 2013, 12:24:44 pm »

If I take power, I will force the country to become what it needs to become, whether they want it or not.
Also said by: every dictator ever.
Not all dictators are bad. In fact, the word dictator originally meant that one lead through force.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: October 11, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »

Not all dictators are bad.
It's true. If my wife ruled the world instead of just ruling me, things would be a lot better.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »

The mark of a good leader isn't forcing others to do as they do, it's having the savvy and conviction such that others will follow you of their own will.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: October 11, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »

Not all dictators are bad. In fact, the word dictator originally meant that one lead through force.

No, the word dictator originally meant one who spoke for all. Dictator was originally an elected position, remember, with a strict time limit.

I think the last responsible dictator was probably Garibaldi though, in the 1800s in Italy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: October 11, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »

Greek dictators predate the Roman dictators though.

Oh dammit. That was tyrant. My bad.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: October 11, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »

Yup, I just noticed/said that.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 667