Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820222 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: NOVEM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2970 on: October 09, 2013, 04:47:13 am »

So there's a silver lining after all: If the Republicans start generally being seen as madmen, the Democrats will get all that juicy corporate monies!

No, though maybe in some cases. What might happen is that money currently going to Tea Party groups (Libertarian) from corporations and other wealthy entities seeking tax breaks or deregulation (Don't Tread on Me) on various issues that pertain to them that yet don't think the downfall of the current government is the best idea would go to more moderate on this issue Republicans. Democrats would continue to get money if they are useful to the purpose at hand, such as the insurance lobby bribing the heck out of Max Baucus to be able to basically dictate what's in the Affordable Care Act (which resulted in the removal of a government option that would have helped prevent insurance corporations from raising their rates excessively as has been the case prior to enactment through setting a sort of price ceiling via competition; and the necessity of the individual mandate which ensures those higher rates are paid by all.)

That said, the Tea Party is backed by very wealthy individuals, so I doubt it will have trouble finding donors until it is utterly rejected at the polls for it's ineptitude at attempts at governing. Hopefully in 2014 House elections if folks, especially if that ever so special generation in that they have a lot of the money and power, currently aged 45-60 or so can prove themselves able to be educated by people like us who have enjoyed the warm glow of the internet for most of our lives.

EDIT: I like posting stuff about Max Baucus in case people think I'm exaggerating about the bribing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that, my friends, is why no one except the insurance companies truly like the Insurance Health Act (My name for it if I were given the ability to name it). Liberals know it was written by a bunch of scummy corporats, and conservative leaders know it helps most people nonetheless and if it's successful despite it's flaws that it'll be another, if not the biggest positive achievement of President Obama.

In addition, I've heard that many Republican House districts have effectively gerrymandered themselves into not really having to worry about anything except for the party primaries. Thus they can only be 'challenged from the right,' which means in this case a Tea Party darling. That means they have to pucker up to them as much as they can get away with. However, I don't think this is true should public opinion turn solidly against the Tea Party. Thus I suggest any would be influencers of public opinion point out the folly of electing members of a political group seemingly determined to undermine the very government they are elected to, at any opportunity they may, no matter which party affiliation they are.

If moderate Republicans are seeking a way to remove the Tea Party from influencing their decisions so heavily, I can't think of a better time previously than now, and goodness knows that everyone else will cheer them after the Tea Party politicians' latest shenanigans, and do what they can to assist.

I mean, I saw today that Soldier's death benefits to their families are suspended by the Pentagon(as of earlier today, I saw it on a ticker while briefly watching CNN before a Tigers baseball game). As a member of a generation who's teenage and young adulthood was filled with countless calls to 'Support the Troops' from another generation who's members had many individuals who perhaps did not support their contemporaries or were not supported themselves in their youth as well as they should have been, it is sickening to see that same elder generation's politicians repeating this shameful choice in this regard, and I am willing to name the Tea Party at fault for this because I hold it to be true.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:50:12 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 09, 2013, 05:05:59 am »

PTW

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: October 09, 2013, 05:41:10 am »

Today I learned what gerrymandering is, and I find it utterly immoral. Just do away with it, it's awful.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: October 09, 2013, 05:51:25 am »

We really ought to.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:56:36 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: October 09, 2013, 05:56:15 am »

just do nationwide representation. 45% votes in the whole country = 45% of seats.
Same for the president.

Or, as you're stuck with two parties, invent a new form of government reflecting the 50/50 repartition of your population. But do not stay wth this godawful system.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: October 09, 2013, 06:07:34 am »

Unfortunately, anybody with the ability to change the system has a vested interest in not doing so. Ye ken?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:48 am »

And unfortunately I am well aware of that. Wishful thinking is the best I got at this point. Better than nothing at all I guess?
Full Sig

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: October 09, 2013, 06:12:28 am »

It seems that there is a vote explicitely only on the death benefits issue today. It's too bad that the people causing the issue in the first place likely have a list of things which they are refusing to fund and are attempting to pin the blame on the other side for particularly altruistic, honorable, or necessary things not already funded because of their own machinations.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: October 09, 2013, 08:04:31 am »

As of two days ago, the military is also not being paid. This won't have much of an effect unless this continues until their next payday, though. Strife, when is your next paycheck and how do you feel about John Boehner literally eating it on the floor of the House while tapdancing on the backs of the American people?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: October 09, 2013, 08:07:13 am »

It seems that there is a vote explicitely only on the death benefits issue today. It's too bad that the people causing the issue in the first place likely have a list of things which they are refusing to fund and are attempting to pin the blame on the other side for particularly altruistic, honorable, or necessary things not already funded because of their own machinations.

'Likely' nothing, that's exactly what they've been doing since Shutdown Day 2.  Every Republican House member with a medical degree put on a stethoscope and got in front of a camera to talk about their piecemeal bills for funding the Cancer Center and CDC and stuff, asking "Why does President Obama hate cancer patients so much that he won't pass our spending bills?"  To their credit, Obama's and the Senate's response was essentially, "Stop playing dress-up and fund the entire government at once."

My fear is that ultimately the Democrats will prove the more rational actor, and cave to accepting à la carte government funding when we're knocking on the door of the debt ceiling.  That's when things are going to be permanently screwed up.  I've always said the most important thing to understand about how our democratic government works is that you don't get to pick and choose what your tax dollars pay for, the whole government always operates no matter what.  If these guys find a way to reliably ensure that only the offices of the federal government that please their constituencies actually get funded without having to pass any laws in the process, this country is fucked.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: October 09, 2013, 08:07:32 am »

John Boehner literally eating it on the floor of the House while tapdancing on the backs of the American people?
Gief gif.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: OCTO Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2981 on: October 09, 2013, 11:28:26 am »

Well, a week from tomorrow, we default, unless Congress gets its head out of its ass. Happy landings!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: October 09, 2013, 12:30:12 pm »

Well at least we won't be paying taxes anymore, amirite?

No. No, I am not.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:30 pm »

I'm also wrong about it being a silver lining.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »

So the Supreme Court is probably going to shut down even the pretense of non-plutocratic elections by disallowing any direct campaign contribution limits. At least people will be able to see the hypocrisy directly instead of it being conducted through SuperPACs...

By the way, Americans as a whole have supported radical campaign finance reform for a while now.

And here's an interesting piece on the Christian Right, Fascism, and Dominionism. I'm not completely sure of what to think of it. I certainly hate the Christian Right and Dominionist thought, but something about the article seems off.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 667