Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820968 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2610 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:41 am »

Bachmann is in the running for Speaker?!

Oh my god, I thought the worst case scenario was Cruz, but Bachmann? That's some ASB horror show-level shit.
Bachmann? Speaker?
*fetches gun*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2611 on: October 03, 2013, 11:51:34 am »

Xant you're a Canadian you don't have a gun.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: October 03, 2013, 11:53:55 am »

Xant you're a Canadian you don't have a gun.
I have 12.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: October 03, 2013, 11:54:26 am »

Mouths aren't guns.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »

I really cant see this as a tactical move. It smacks of an ideological position held in defiance of objectivity, and empirical observation.

Do I particularly like ACA? No. Not really. I would much rather have seen regulations forbidding scalping of the american people at the nickel and dime level in healthcare. (Reduce the costs of all the parts, total price drops to affordability.) EG, "If you are going to recoup R&D costs, you cant pick a single market to do that in. It has to be distributed across all of your target markets, worldwide, as a percentage of sales volume, not sales price."  or some similar mandate. Such a thing would have raised prices worldwide by a small amount, but would have radically dropped the costs of US healthcare. (Let other parliaments and govts deal with the fallout in their nations. Expecting some other nation to subsidize them is obscene.) Overall, prices should remain affordable, and overall, more people would be able to afford it.

On the other hand, ACA can essentially be ignored by most people who already have insurance. It isnt like the Obaminator has demanded the abolishment of private insurance, though premiums will probably rise because ACA treats the symptoms and not the cause* (see above). Most people will be just fine with ACA in effect.

Shutting down the government, taking the risk of missing the debt ceiling deadline, and of possibly plunging the world economy into chaos-- over an election pissing match-- is not what I consider a tactical decision. Either their view of reality is bent like corkscrew, or they have simply abandoned reason. At this point, the numbers show 70% across the board, both affiliations, that the US public does not consider this move appropriate. Those numbers rise a little more each day this has been going on. 

In slightly happier news, The news is reporting that Boehner has now publicly stated that he will not allow the nation to default. I am leery of trusting any politician, but in this case, that worm is squirming on his hook what good. He may well be trying to be honest.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:56 pm »

That's all well and good so long as Boehner remains the Speaker.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: October 03, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »

If it looks like they're trying to lose the election, perhaps we should humor the possibility.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: October 03, 2013, 12:28:40 pm »

I just can't see them letting the US default. That'd have a huge negative impact on Wall Street and every other big business, as well as being political suicide. The average voters aren't going to let something so obvious slide, and you can be certain that the special interest groups aren't going to throw more money at someone who so blatantly screwed them over.

So the Tea Party might be willing to throw the lever, but the rest of the Republicans are going to have to bite the bullet and compromise before that point. If your options are maybe lose the next election and definitely lose the next election and have all your major funders pull out, you're going to go with the first option. And the Tea Party just doesn't have the numbers to actually force their will if the rest of the GOP goes against them on this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2618 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »

So...I have to ask.
(I don't know how to write this without sounding accusing, so don't take it as a personal insult...I'm genuinely curious/surprise/perplexed/slightly incensed)

Are kids really going to starve to death on the streets if you don't get the budget fixed?

Really?

Americans...really?

I hope it's the newscasters spouting its usual 'extremism sensational' newscast, (Italian news transmitted to show how Italy is going strong out of the crisis? Check)
because...
No, really.

IS the American Government going to let children starve if the budget isn't fixed?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: October 03, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »

In some cases, children starve on the streets even when the budget is fully funded.

As much as everyone would wish it were not the case, poverty is a real phenomenon in *ALL* industrial nations.

The question should not be "Will children starve?", the question should be "How will this impact the poverty statistic?" Because the latter tells you how many more kids are going to starve this year.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: October 03, 2013, 12:41:53 pm »

I'm sure if that happens, Fallout 'Verse has begun :P

In all seriousness though, I'm sure if that happens shit has hit the fan hard.

Aaand Wierd ninja'd me :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »

but will the american government be capable of supplying its citizens with essential rations of molten snow?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »

So...I have to ask.
(I don't know how to write this without sounding accusing, so don't take it as a personal insult...I'm genuinely curious/surprise/perplexed/slightly incensed)

Are kids really going to starve to death on the streets if you don't get the budget fixed?

Really?

Americans...really?

I hope it's the newscasters spouting its usual 'extremism sensational' newscast, (Italian news transmitted to show how Italy is going strong out of the crisis? Check)
because...
No, really.

IS the American Government going to let children starve if the budget isn't fixed?
Starvation is kind of hard to do in America. We have one of the highest food outputs compared to population.

That said, there will likely be an international famine if the US defaults, because it will strangulate our massive food exports to other countries.

As for letting American children starve, I don't think the US government has any domestic food programs of that nature to begin with. The closest thing is food stamps, which are essentially currency that can only be redeemed for food.
but will the american government be capable of supplying its citizens with essential rations of molten snow?
DPRK plz go
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: October 03, 2013, 12:49:02 pm »

He's a stodgy old coward...but I can't help but feel pity for him.

Don't, he painted himself into this corner willingly.

I'm not so sure. Remember...was it this spring, when he almost got voted out of the Speakery?

Yeah and it's not just like that happened out of nowhere.  He got burned by a fire that he's been fanning for a long time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: October 03, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »

So...I have to ask.

Really?

Americans...really?

because...
No, really.

Starvation is kind of hard to do in America. We have one of the highest food outputs compared to population.

That said, there will likely be an international famine if the US defaults, because it will strangulate our massive food exports to other countries.

As for letting American children starve, I don't think the US government has any domestic food programs of that nature to begin with. The closest thing is food stamps, which are essentially currency that can only be redeemed for food.

There are also local foodbank programs for people who are unable to qualify for foodstamps (for a wide variety of reasons) run by local charities.  A major financial upheaval will upset the charitable donations of more fortunate citizens, reducing the charity, and when coupled with the faltering of foodstamps, will most certainly result in bad times for tiny tim.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 667