Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821235 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: SEDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2415 on: October 01, 2013, 03:31:53 pm »

Quite right.

My issue is not so much that something is or isn't in the constitution, it is the "whatever we say it says at the moment" doublespeak of the SC's influence, and the impact that has. The SC needs hard rules to constrain it. Presumably, the source of such rules is the written constitution. When the "whatever we say it means at this particular moment" crowd are given equal weight to the enabling framework legislation, then you have tyrrany on the bench.

The problem is that too much rigidity in the Constitution would make it impossible to update. That is the purpose of the Supreme Court (and the judiciary in general) -- to be the human element that interprets the Constitution. Putting hard rules on the SC defeats the point of having a Court in the first place.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 01, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »

Since I work in customs brokerage and international trade, I'm seeing effects from the shutdown already.

65% of FDA staff in Chicago furloughed this morning
97% of EPA staff

A couple customs-operated websites already shut down

Slowdowns across the board.  Entry reviews backing up.  Some licenses unobtainable.  Lots of stuff unable to be released into the country.

So U.S. import operations are already suffering pretty significantly on Day 1
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »

Even though I'm not there anymore, ATF is pretty much business as normal. DoJ gets large exemptions during shutdowns because of the whole "public safety" thing.

Which I actually think is part of the problem. They're not scared to shut down the government because they're not REALLY shutting down the government. If they said, "Okay. As of midnight, our military and Federal law enforcement goes offline. Good luck, states, you're gonna need it," then I think there would be a fuckton more pressure on Congress not to do this.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 01, 2013, 03:40:25 pm »

Quite right.

My issue is not so much that something is or isn't in the constitution, it is the "whatever we say it says at the moment" doublespeak of the SC's influence, and the impact that has. The SC needs hard rules to constrain it. Presumably, the source of such rules is the written constitution. When the "whatever we say it means at this particular moment" crowd are given equal weight to the enabling framework legislation, then you have tyrrany on the bench.

The problem is that too much rigidity in the Constitution would make it impossible to update. That is the purpose of the Supreme Court (and the judiciary in general) -- to be the human element that interprets the Constitution. Putting hard rules on the SC defeats the point of having a Court in the first place.

Not exactly. The supreme court's job is to evaluate new legislation, and the findings of lesser courts, to determine if constitutional law has been violated or not, or if a piece of legislation is actually actionable or not.

The get the final say on the matter.

They can accomplish that task with hard rules, and such hard rules would actually facilitate that goal.

If the world outgrows an outdated stricture of the written constitution, there is an available process to change it to include those updates. It is called a constitutional amendment.

The "whatever we feel like it says, with shit all regard to previous rulings if we find them disfavorable" method is not needed, and is deleterious. It is only useful to people who don't like oversight, nor understand why it is necessary.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

Only sith deal in absolutes.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 01, 2013, 04:12:22 pm »

Actually, it was created this way on purpose, as the US was intended to be a "nation of law", and not a "nation of men".

This grew directly out of legislation at the bench by the US court's antecedent, the english common law court system. In order to have consistent and reliable justice, consistent and reliable verdicts based only on the law must be made. Because of the risk that this poses, in regard to officious and intractible legislation, an "out" was provided in the form of the jury, and its powers, including nullification.

The US is a nation of law. Not a nation of men.

Further reading, for those interested.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:18:36 pm by wierd »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 01, 2013, 04:13:02 pm »

Our Constitution was both the first document of its kind (yes, while based upon ideas in earlier documents, the United States was the world's first constitutional republic, hence the name)

San Marino would like a word with you.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 01, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

Our Constitution was both the first document of its kind (yes, while based upon ideas in earlier documents, the United States was the world's first constitutional republic, hence the name)
While an interesting precursor, San Marino lacks a written constitution. The Statutes of 1600 are apparently often confused with that. It's only got an informal constitution, which I'm guessing is in the same style as the UK's.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2423 on: October 01, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »

Only sith deal in absolutes.
Obama wields his lightsaber like Count Dooku.
Coincidence? I think not.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:58 pm »

The US is a nation of law. Not a nation of men.
There's a saying that I think goes something like this: "Any idea, when applied in a sufficiently thorough manner, will yield inhumane results, because an idea lacks the human element."
If you have a nation of law, any law can be justified, and there's nothing to stop it - I won't mention the obvious example.
If you have a nation of men, you get the Right to Revolution.

That's why I have a soft spot for the German constitution. It basically says that the one law that is untouchable is article one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 01, 2013, 04:28:29 pm »

While an interesting precursor, San Marino lacks a written constitution. The Statutes of 1600 are apparently often confused with that. It's only got an informal constitution, which I'm guessing is in the same style as the UK's.
You would have done better to consult a dictionary. A constitution is not defined by its status as a written document, but by the existence of the set of principles of governance from which it is composed. Put simply, a constitution may be written and codified, but it does not have to be. That assumption tends to arise in no small part because of the percieved preeminence of the U.S. constitution, which is written and codified.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:02 pm »

It is not, however, a document, which MSH explicitly talked about.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 01, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »

Quite right.

Not exactly. The supreme court's job is to evaluate new legislation, and the findings of lesser courts, to determine if constitutional law has been violated or not, or if a piece of legislation is actually actionable or not.

The get the final say on the matter.

They can accomplish that task with hard rules, and such hard rules would actually facilitate that goal.

If the world outgrows an outdated stricture of the written constitution, there is an available process to change it to include those updates. It is called a constitutional amendment.

The "whatever we feel like it says, with shit all regard to previous rulings if we find them disfavorable" method is not needed, and is deleterious. It is only useful to people who don't like oversight, nor understand why it is necessary.
But Hard rules, rules age. If rules age badly, they need to be updated. And then the question of who updates. Recall the Voting Rights act was struck down because it still used the same mapping system as it did when it wasa founded, and both sides recognized any attempt to change it is a political flame war. Congress is, right now, perfectly allowed to reinstate the Voting rights act and there ain't a damned thing SCOTUS could do, in fact that is what the decision called for. It's because Congress is paralyzed that it has assumed so much power.

For all the checks and balances, if Congress really organized into a single cohesive power bloc, it'd be unstoppable. When it is divided, it's  like either of the other branches. When it is spasming as it is, the others take up the slack, simply because Congress won't stop them.

Anyway, it impresses me that people really think anyone other then John Boehner and the Tea-Party are ultimately at fault, because if a clean CR bill went to a straight up-or-down vote, it's widely assumed enough republicans would support it (around 120 or so) to end the crisis. I mean hell, I am seeing a lot of statements going "Well I hate Obamacare, but it's the law. If the voters support us removing it, they'll vote us into power" floating around. If you want to see some of the quotes, I can supply them, I can give you maybe 6 off the top of my head.

On Obamacare: Really, tell me, how many people understand Obamacare? I mean, look it over, read some summaries, take a gander at the Wikipedia article on it, and decide then? The Onion pointed out in a recent article "Man who understands 8% of Obamacare vigorously defends it from Man who knows 5% of it", and "Opinion of Dad on Obamacare", subtitle: "It's bullshit". It's essentially a complete enigma to most, and so Political alignment dictates support. Obamacare=Obama to many; if you support him you support it, if you hate him you hate it, if you don't care about him you don't care about it, etc.

Personally I think it's because the US is so polarized like no other nation, and each side trying to manipulate the law into their favour means a lot of opposition from the other side, and thus the need for some rules for what they can and can't do, i.e. the constitution. Unfortunately, both sides are also arseholes.
Oh come now, it may be polarized in it's own, unique way, but there are a lot of other countries in worse straits (Greece's Neo-Nazi party would like a word for example, and the protest party in Italy controlling 1/5 of the seats, which simply refuses to participate at all, comes to mind). The Problem is none of them can single-handedly take down the world economy.

So, in the News, Today is the first day ACA exchanges open up, showing amazing dramatic timing. Glitches have been popping up; because of the high traffic (lol), they are putting a bad hue on the event, and giving Republicans ammo, however small, to throw. The glitches are because of the breathtaking complexity of the operations, and some of the non-cooperativeness. (I actually would support a small delay; however, since the issue is extremely politicized, nothing will be done.)

In other news, Protesters interrupt a Republican press conference; Obama takes to the waves to blast the shutdown, ending a week of silence on the issue (he is considered to be largely a spectator, having had only one conversation with the republican leadership the entire crisis. It's all Congress doing it.); Fox News is referring to the Shutdown as a "Slimdown" (which, if you think about Libertarians, actually sounds attractive to some); Right-wing bloggers are downplaying effects of Shutdown; and Financial Markets have so far remained stable, apparently reflecting a belief that the shutdown will be brief.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 01, 2013, 04:33:56 pm »

So how long does this go on until the American people are legally allowed to revolt and fire every single one of these assholes who can't do their fucking jobs?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: October 01, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »

It is not, however, a document, which MSH explicitly talked about.
The constitution was originally not written, but was later in part written (the Statutes), though it was not at the time formally codified in the same sense that the US constitution is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 667