Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821582 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #2175 on: September 27, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »

We are in the peculiar position of not having had a government this dysfunctional....since before the Civil War.
There's only one solution.

The south will rise again.

I think those risks can be minimized through more effective engineering.
The one in thousand is already quite spectacular. And do note that not every turbine failure ends with a disastrous projectile scattering. However, failures stack. Nuclear plants are engineered to sustain core damage only once in a million year per plant. (New plants are even better, IIRC). Incidents still happen.

But still, it's not that smart to put it next to people's home, and certainly not a good idea to put them in the middle of a Chemical industry zone, next to a nuclear power plant, and close to a densely populated area.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: September 27, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »

Farmers up here often have their own wind turbine for electricity, sometimes right next to their house. I think the risk is negligible.

Damnit, now I've been coronated as page king. I'll quote the other post so we stay on topic:

We are in the peculiar position of not having had a government this dysfunctional....since before the Civil War.
There's only one solution.

The south will rise again.

No Susannah, don't you sit and spin...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:03:27 pm by Owlbread »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 27, 2013, 02:26:35 pm »

Well the US is building more LNG terminals, so it seems like the next big thing will be natural gas before large scaled green energy.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:35 pm »

It's already the case in the US. Sadly, at the moment it's coal that's climbing in the EU, because the switch to shale gas in the US caused US coal miner to dump their coal on us.

Owlbread: farmers may have wind turbines, but they're usually small stuff, not 140 m high tower with rotor 80m in radius.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:23 pm »

Well the US is building more LNG terminals, so it seems like the next big thing will be natural gas before large scaled green energy.

Isn't natural gas something like 40-60 percent less polluting than oil or coal? I seem to remember reading that it was a lot better from an ecological viewpoint, just more expensive and less efficient. Seems like an ideal transitional source.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 27, 2013, 03:22:47 pm »

Even if natural gas burns cleaner, I think the extraction process adds a whole bunch of pollution (both global, like CO2, and local, as in the local water reserves) that the other fuels don't produce, or at least not as much.

Edit: I might be thinking of fracking. I'm not entirely sure what fracking produces? Shale oil, right? >_>

I'M NOT VERY WELL INFORMED. ;_;
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:25:04 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 27, 2013, 03:25:21 pm »

Isn't natural gas something like 40-60 percent less polluting than oil or coal? I seem to remember reading that it was a lot better from an ecological viewpoint, just more expensive and less efficient. Seems like an ideal transitional source.
Natural gas used to be more expensive, and produces only neglible less energy. Fracking ended the cost argument. (To the point that natural gas started to push renewables out of the market).

Storage and transport is the main problem.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 27, 2013, 03:27:50 pm »

Horizontal fracking, if unchecked can cause large damage ecologically. You are right though about shale oil, but fracking produces both. Gas is not necessarily hard to extract, just harder to store and move. There's many unchecked shales throghout the US, so we won't be running out any time soon too. The creation of terminals (essentially giant freezers) takes quite a while though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:29:36 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 27, 2013, 03:30:59 pm »

LNG is probably going to end up one of those fast-rise, fast-fall situations. As the poll I posted earlier demonstrated, fracking is losing support at a critical pace.

Wind and Solar are where it is at, and once we've gone full renewable, mostly where it will stay.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:29 pm »

I dunno. Deap Sea Calthrate exploitation is advancing pretty quickly, and might be able to take over in time. Because we all know energy compagnies don't care about PR as long as there's money in it.

And I'm not so sure about the permanence of Solar and Wind. It's still a pretty impractical energy source, requires network reworks, and isn't that stable.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 27, 2013, 03:38:07 pm »

Well maybe not domestically, but India and China are the largest importers of natural gas. They could really care less about the environmental concerns when they put the growth of their economies first.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 27, 2013, 03:41:07 pm »

They could really care less
Off topic, but...

*cringe*

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 27, 2013, 03:44:35 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 27, 2013, 03:45:09 pm »

Well maybe not domestically, but India and China are the largest importers of natural gas. They could really care less about the environmental concerns when they put the growth of their economies first.
Economic wellbeing and environmental concerns are not unrelated subjects. This is the kind of thing I cannot stand about "but the economy" arguments. The economy is going to suffer a lot worse than what any environmental regulations impose if we suffer ecological collapse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 27, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »

Even before that. Most of China and India isn't exactly liveable anymore. Hence why they're also majority investors in all sorts of renewables, nuclear and whatever technologies.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 667