Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821673 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #2145 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:16 pm »

It wasn't a filibuster. If it was, he wouldn't have to talk for the entire period unless the Dems and the Reps would want to shut him up.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »

Ah right, yeah. Sorry about that. I think someone dubbed it a "fauxlibuster".

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 25, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »

So we're in a weird situation where the public does not like the Democratic Party due to its failings and the president, but the Republicans are unable to muster their focus into anything effective? I wonder where we will go from here.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 25, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »

It's not that weird though if you look at the general political situations across the world. It'll probably just continue as you expect it to; you know, Democrats retaining power, just not as popular as they should be while Republicans flounder until they reform and make some gains again. Nothing will really happen I don't think, it'll just be a restless, impotent period.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:27 pm »

It's not that weird though if you look at the general political situations across the world. It'll probably just continue as you expect it to; you know, Democrats retaining power, just not as popular as they should be while Republicans flounder until they reform and make some gains again. Nothing will really happen I don't think, it'll just be a restless, impotent period.
The arc of politics is long, but it tilts towards the Dems. Simply put: The first rule of Democracy is it's a numbers game. Republicans have created a constituency far more rightist then the rest of the country, and Demographics will increasingly tilt Democrat. The Democrats won the house popular vote, it's only through massive gerrymandering in state offices, which was accomplished by luck timing the Tea Party surge with the census. It has bought them some time, but they, even now, continue to lose support. Obama may not be very popular (His approval/disapproval is running a -1%), but congress is reviled.

Anyway, Ted Cruz is staging a hilariously off-topic Filibuster that won't have the ability to stall time, as when the bill is due to be voted on, he'll be booted off. He has apparently gone 21-hours, fourth longest on the records, on the faux-Filibuster, on subjects as varied as Ayn Rand to Dr. Seuss, from Ashton Kutcher on "Duck Dynasty" to Nazi comparisons, and there was a Darth Vader impression at some point. His Filibuster will not succeed even a delay of voting, having been staged a while before it is up.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:12 pm »

Seems better than  the do-nothing problem we have in Belgium, where everyone wants to shut down Nuclear power, ban or reduce coal power, reduce other fossil fuels, Don't build new wind plants (Ugly) expect far out in Sea (too expensive), doesn't support solar subsidies (To expensive, not really efficient).

With the result that we're importing energy, and keep relying on aging Nuclear plants (which nobody wants to renovate, as that would mean using them longer)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 27, 2013, 07:22:34 am »

I actually really like wind farms. I've never understood why people think they're ugly.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 27, 2013, 08:50:44 am »

I actually really like wind farms. I've never understood why people think they're ugly.
They're quite nice too. Quite a few people don't complain about them, until they plan to put one within 250 meters of their house, of course.

Most idiot thing was the fact that several offshore windfarms were cancelled, not because the construction works kill most aquatic wildlife in the surroundings, but because they'd ruin the view. So now they have to install those things 30-40 kilometers into the sea, where they cost more, and do even more damage to wildlife.*

* On the long run, wildlife does benefit however as fishing in windfarms is forbidden.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2155 on: September 27, 2013, 09:44:31 am »

Windfarms can be noisy, actually. I agree with them not looking that bad, but I do know they need to be designed and located such that they do not produce significant noise pollution. I don't know the specifics, I just toured an alternative energy site that was paid for by the university I went to which had a wind turbine and solar array to generate electricity as a research program, and that was something that was mentioned during the tour.

I imagine a full-blown windfarm might be pretty noisy.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:22 am »

It heard it's about as bad as living to a highway. Only there's a whoosh noise instead of a constant low droning.

Considering they're building them next to highway's anyway, shouldn't be that problematic. Safety is more of an issue.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:57 am »

They're quite nice too. Quite a few people don't complain about them, until they plan to put one within 250 meters of their house, of course.

It's funny that you should say that because that is exactly what is going to happen where I am. I'm fine with it really, although I would like at least some kind of compensation for it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:00:28 am by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:07 am »

In Germany, there was the idea of letting the neighbors get a share of the profits - something that was immediately decried as "buying consent". Duuh :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:41 am »

I never found them noisy myself. Except if you get really, really close maybe, but even when you're right under them, the actual motor is 40m up.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 667