Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819160 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #2070 on: September 17, 2013, 10:21:04 pm »

An additional way that guns can increase crime is by triggering aggression of a potential offender. This “weapons effect” is said to occur because angry people are likely to associate guns with aggressive behavior (Berkowitz and Lepage, 1967). Similarly, it has been suggested that the presence of a gun is likely to intensify negative emotions such as anger (Berkowitz, 1983).
http://wcr.sonoma.edu/v09n2/altheimer.pdf

I find this quote relevant.  :) I wasn't taking any particular position, Wizkid.

11. Adolescents who commit suicide with a gun use the family gun
Well DUH. If they're going to commit suicide with a gun, they need a gun. What's the easiest gun to get? The family gun. Do you really need a study to say this?

12. The case-fatality rate for suicide attempts with guns is higher than other methods
I would assume so, they're very violently destructive weapons.

Isn't particularly insightful, either. Especially after you concede
This seems to be true, though. However, was this also corrected for poverty levels, which is also shown to correlate with suicide?
Hint: Most of the point of my infodump was the suicide section.

Keeping my nose away from anecdotes and snark.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:23:37 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 17, 2013, 10:22:51 pm »

How, constitutionalist of you. Would you hold the same opinion on a issue where the constitution was siding with the other side? I mean, say, Slavery? Suffrage, a better one? The Founders intended only propertied males could vote. The underpinning of what they saw as the fundamentals of our government wAS the Propertied class.
Those are fundamentally different issues; we're discussing the distribution of power among the government, not equality or citizen rights. That aside, note that slavery was outlawed, universal suffrage granted to all citizens of 18 years of age or older, etc. via Constitutional processes. It contains the structure by which it may be changed, and we have made use of that structure on 27 occasions to effect changes to our core laws as new issues came to the forefront of legal and political thought. Slavery was not outlawed because Lincoln signed an executive order declaring it so, and presidents are not allowed to declare war simply because they say that they can. Nor are they allowed to overthrow laws regarding privacy and due process simply because they claim it is necessary. The legislative process and the placement of the powers of war and the purse in the hands of Congress are essentially different from the social structure of the U.S. at any given time, because they are constants, rather than the progressing variables of commonly held views on human rights.

Presidentialism as a democratic system is deeply flawed, and inevitably trends towards authoritarianism--not because of some insidious motivation, but because the office of president inevitably seeks to accomplish its own mandate, and does so by gathering as much power as possible. All other things being equal, the executive will always be able to gather power more readily than the legislature or judiciary. There's a strong argument to be made that the parliamentary system (with proportional representation and the division of the office of the executive between the administrative office and the figurehead--for example, the British PM and the Queen, one who fills the role of the executive in day-to-day affairs, the other who is the heart of the cult of personality that invariably surrounds the president in our system) is more stable precisely because it more effectively limits executive power.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:44 pm »

Yeah, Chaos - Micts stuff was just outright better than yours. Because I could read it. Your post is a messy jumble that is painful to parse, using a source with clear bias, cherry-picked data and fairly blatant attempts at information manipulation. (Looking at 33-37 is enough to determine that)

It may claim to be "just the facts" - but it's clearly anything but. The facts are pretty obviously shaped so as to lead to inappropriate conclusions. They're applying quite a bit of interpretation and extrapolation, and from a pretty limited data set - the US government has actively taken action against research and statistics that may cast gun ownership in a poor light See the 1997 fiscal omnibus bill (page 245), which cut all gun safety research funding and specifically forbade using funds in a way that might promote gun control. It has, from all reports, been interpreted quite loosely.

But the main problem is that while Mict's sources including actual research, JustTheFacts finds data that supports what it wants; of the many samples available, it generally chooses the one that supports its arguments and then extrapolates out from there.

This isn't facts - this is poor statistics being paraded as facts.

This isn't to say it's wrong, but it's certainly not what I'd call a trustworthy source of information on account of it's central premise being incredibly dishonest. I'm mostly ignoring your rambling presentation of it, here, and pulling directly from the linked source.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2073 on: September 18, 2013, 01:06:53 am »

I wasn't taking any particular position, Wizkid.

That's fair, although I'd still really like links to sources if anyone is posting anything official. I had way too much trouble finding the sources.

11. Adolescents who commit suicide with a gun use the family gun
Well DUH. If they're going to commit suicide with a gun, they need a gun. What's the easiest gun to get? The family gun. Do you really need a study to say this?

12. The case-fatality rate for suicide attempts with guns is higher than other methods
I would assume so, they're very violently destructive weapons.

Isn't particularly insightful, either.
Are you saying I wasn't being insightful? If so, I'd say that the studies were not very insightful. Also, "Do you really need a study to say this?" was not directed at you, but rather at Azrael and Hemenway and other associated authors.

Yeah, Chaos - Micts stuff was just outright better than yours.

I don't see how, considering each point is a statement, followed by a short paragraph, followed by a nebulous reference that's incredibly difficult to find for every single one of the points. With my points, I either sourced them through JustFacts or I sourced them directly. Either that, or I did the cross-reference research necessary to pick through what they did or did the research necessary to pick apart what they did.

Because I could read it. Your post is a messy jumble that is painful to parse, using a source with clear bias, cherry-picked data and fairly blatant attempts at information manipulation. (Looking at 33-37 is enough to determine that)

Are you serious? I can understand the difficulty to read, I got quite frustrated later, but I did go in-depth into each one I could actually find the source article for. And my source has clear bias? The absolutely vast majority of articles that Mict sourced were by very clearly biased individuals. They were same individuals over and over and over again drawing the same conclusions for more gun control. Not only that, but I showed how on the articles I could find, I picked them apart to show that they were being bias. For example, they concluded that criminals hardly ever get shot by people because they interviewed prisoners from a city during a time when guns were banned in that city. That's just so unprofessional it's sickening. But my data is cherry-picked and blatant attempts at information manipulation? I hardly used anything from JustFacts, just that opener and then the graphs.

Also, I looked at 33-37 (I'm assuming you mean from the JustFacts site?). I'm not sure what you mean. 33 is a historical report, 34 was the specifics of the gun ban, 35 is about the Supreme Court ruling, 36 is where the data for the Washington D.C. graph is taken (all FBI or US Census sources) and 37 is more FBI sources. The only data manipulation that might be there was this:
NOTE: By performing calculations with the data above (140 slayings in 2009, which is a 25% drop from 2008) and 2008 data from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program, Just Facts has determined that these "slayings" include both homicides and nonnegligent manslaughters, not just homicides.
Which I don't see as being significant enough to invalidate the whole thing.

It may claim to be "just the facts" - but it's clearly anything but. The facts are pretty obviously shaped so as to lead to inappropriate conclusions.

Again, didn't use them that much, I don't see how you can draw that conclusion, and I don't see how you think any of Mict's sources are any better (other than readability).

They're applying quite a bit of interpretation and extrapolation, and from a pretty limited data set

And up front about it when they do, including the equations used, the numbers used for each variable, and why they did what they did.

the US government has actively taken action against research and statistics that may cast gun ownership in a poor light See the 1997 fiscal omnibus bill (page 245), which cut all gun safety research funding and specifically forbade using funds in a way that might promote gun control. It has, from all reports, been interpreted quite loosely.

How is this relevant? Are you saying that this ruins credibility because the data is so small? Doesn't that mean that credibility for everyone on all sides if the data is apparently so small that no conclusions can ever be drawn?

But the main problem is that while Mict's sources including actual research,

Actual research that has this nebulous dead-end. Again, I looked into every single article that I could actually conjure up from the depths of the internet, and in every single case there was either something wrong or there was something done to push the conclusion toward a desired result. A lot of JustFacts is just slapping up the data and letting the data speak for itself.

JustTheFacts finds data that supports what it wants; of the many samples available, it generally chooses the one that supports its arguments and then extrapolates out from there.

Perhaps, but I don't see where else they'd get the data considering the FBI and US Census sources. Not only that, I don't see how it only posts the data that supports what it wants, considering the Right-to-carry data showing that it has no real effect. Throw up some counter data if you want, I'd be glad to see it.

I'm mostly ignoring your rambling presentation of it, here, and pulling directly from the linked source.

My presentation of it isn't rambling. I just straight-up copy paste it and let it sit there. All of the rambling is picking through the studies that were referenced that I could find and showing why they are wrong and do not actually lend credit to the conclusions they want to draw.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2074 on: September 18, 2013, 01:26:35 am »

Double Post for additional clarity.
In the interest of cleaning up all I posted:

Spoiler: Self-Defence Gun Use (click to show/hide)

My response:

Spoiler: Self-Defense (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Policy Evaluation (click to show/hide)

My response:
Spoiler: Gun Control Policies (click to show/hide)

Snark and a bunch of JustFacts stuff removed. Women and Homicides sections removed because I don't have access to the source links, Suicide section removed because my response is largely unimportant.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: September 18, 2013, 06:42:46 am »

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/

Gun ownership and many topics are researched already, including;
Spoiler: Homicide (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty skeptical of this one. Let's see, comparing European gun ownership (using gunpolicy.org and unodc.org), we can produce a neat graph:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Western Europe is actually fairly similar to the rest of Europe, by the way. As you can see, there's no real correlation with gun ownership and "more homicide", unless they meant something other than "gun ownership" for "more guns".

Across American states, though?

No correlation at all. So uh, yeah, pretty skeptical of those claims.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: September 18, 2013, 06:49:10 am »

Are you really telling me you can't find Mict's sources?  He directly quoted from the articles, so you can just paste a paragraph into Google and it will immediately come up with the HSPH article, which properly cites every study it draws from.

I'm pretty skeptical of this one. Let's see, comparing European gun ownership (using gunpolicy.org and unodc.org), we can produce a neat graph:
Hmm yes, I think I will just use raw data without thinking about any other factors

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:55 am »

No wait you just decided to include a bunch of poorer countries, didn't you.  Because clearly failed states with no real police presence are more comparable to the US than developed countries.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:06 am »

Are you really telling me you can't find Mict's sources?  He directly quoted from the articles, so you can just paste a paragraph into Google and it will immediately come up with the HSPH article, which properly cites every study it draws from.

Hmm yes, I think I will just use raw data without thinking about any other factors

The HSPH article is obviously easy to find, it's the studies it references that are a pain. I've found one of them so far, and that article was mostly relating to sexual abuse (so I might get to that at some point). It really doesn't help to know all these citations that I can't access.

No wait you just decided to include a bunch of poorer countries, didn't you.  Because clearly failed states with no real police presence are more comparable to the US than developed countries.

No. Here's Western Europe (all very much "developed states")

Try again.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 18, 2013, 06:57:53 am »

It's not enough to have the articles cited, I was them delivered to me on a silver platter *conjures graphs out of ass*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:58 am »

Although to be honest, I'm impressed that even the worst European state had slightly less than seven murders in it.  Your graph seems to imply there's some kind of "sweetspot", where if exactly 30 people in your country own guns you'll only have less than one murder per year.

(seriously though assuming you're using the standard units there are no western European countries with homicide rates remotely as high as those on the left)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:05 am »

Can't find the source of that graph. Google reverse image searching obviously leads to a number of visually similar graphs. Which is useless.

Edit: Using Wikipedia it's clear that there are no West European countries with rates so high as there're in the graph. (Assuming rates are correct).

The only countries in Europe with rates above 4 are almost all Former Sovjet states. And a statistical outlier (Greenland, due it's extremely low population)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:27:08 am by 10ebbor10 »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 18, 2013, 08:13:05 am »

Hey, be fair, guys. With a coefficient of determination that low, he can't seriously be claiming that graph actually tells you anything about how gun ownership relates to homicide rates.

EDIT: I admit I'm being a bit facetious - the claim is pretty clearly that there's no correlation, but it's incredibly weak given the lack of controls applied to the data.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:23:23 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 18, 2013, 08:23:37 am »

Right, and he also plucked numbers out of the air to further illustrate that.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:49 pm »

Presidentialism as a democratic system is deeply flawed, and inevitably trends towards authoritarianism--not because of some insidious motivation, but because the office of president inevitably seeks to accomplish its own mandate, and does so by gathering as much power as possible. All other things being equal, the executive will always be able to gather power more readily than the legislature or judiciary. There's a strong argument to be made that the parliamentary system (with proportional representation and the division of the office of the executive between the administrative office and the figurehead--for example, the British PM and the Queen, one who fills the role of the executive in day-to-day affairs, the other who is the heart of the cult of personality that invariably surrounds the president in our system) is more stable precisely because it more effectively limits executive power.

The better system by far is one in which there would be a PM and a democratically elected Head of State. The issue with your admiration for our own archaic, abysmal and corrupt legislative system is that our PM is filling a role that is increasingly more Presidential, while the Monarch's importance is declining. We're moving towards an American-influenced Presidential system whether you like it or not, that's just the pull of things at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 667