Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818854 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1950 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:59 am »

I understand that they're facing risks and want to be safe, but they take it to such extremes.  There has to be a balance.  Why do we equip them with all this fancy hardware, anyway?  Isn't it to give them more options and safety measures to work with when dealing with dangerous situations?  What is the point if they're still going to respond with a storm of bullets 100% of the time, regardless?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 09, 2013, 11:26:02 am »

It's one of those where I'm not going to say the police were obviously in the wrong, but I seriously question why things need to be handled the way they were.  What was the nature of this "domestic disturbance"?  Was he posing an immediate danger to anyone?  I've read two articles about this already, and my impression is he just had himself locked in a room and wasn't cooperating.
The guy had brandished on non-police officers* (so immediate danger, yes), and was apparently somewhat actively firing on the police both before (through the door when the police identified themselves) and after they gassed the room. Even if the fellow wasn't hitting the cops with bullets, if someone's firing... even if they're missing, they are most definitely an immediate danger to everyone in the immediate vicinity. Walls don't always stop bullets and ricochets are a thing, and if someone's firing they almost certainly need to be stopped before a shot flies into someone.

It almost certainly could have been handled better, though. Pumping gas into the place of someone obviously hostile and agitated in the hope that it'd cause the guy to surrender was just... just goddamn stupid. It'd be interesting to know what the negotiations amounted to, too, though I imagine the public will never find out.

*The arkansas piece. Domestic disturbance in question was the old fellow pointing a weapon at people.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:54 pm »

Yeah. I wouldn't say they handled the situation well, but someone threatening people with a gun and then firing at officers as soon as they show up...can't say that shooting him really counts as your typical police brutality case.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 09, 2013, 02:43:12 pm »

Use of deadly force was probably justified, but... Tear gas? Tasers? There's quite a chance these could have killed him too, but still...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1954 on: September 09, 2013, 02:49:13 pm »

Use of deadly force was justified as long as the situation unfolded like they said it did. It's unreasonable to ask them to try and otherwise incapacitate someone who is trying to kill them unless their value alive is worth the risk and this didn't sound like it.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »

Use of deadly force was probably justified, but... Tear gas? Tasers? There's quite a chance these could have killed him too, but still...
Well, tasers aside, the article says they pumped gas into the room after negotiations failed, which was what prompted him to try to unload a second round into the police officers responsible.  I would have assumed it was tear gas; I can't imagine they would have used blister gas or other anti-riot gear to deal with a single old man with a handgun, and while I'm no expert, I don't know what other major gases are options in this circumstance. 

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: September 09, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »

Well, tasers aside, the article says they pumped gas into the room after negotiations failed, which was what prompted him to try to unload a second round into the police officers responsible.  I would have assumed it was tear gas; I can't imagine they would have used blister gas or other anti-riot gear to deal with a single old man with a handgun, and while I'm no expert, I don't know what other major gases are options in this circumstance.
Well, I'd assume you wouldn't use a blister gas because as far as I know any agent that causes burns on the skin would also cause burns in the throat and lungs when inhaled, thereby causing them to suffocate.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 09, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »

I think they would have had to be very careful about what kind of gas they were using so they didn't kill him. He's 107 for god's sake.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:54 pm »

I think they would have had to be very careful about what kind of gas they were using so they didn't kill him. He's 107 for god's sake.
Wow, some people really will let you get away with anything when you're old.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: September 09, 2013, 05:46:35 pm »

Well, I'd assume you wouldn't use a blister gas because as far as I know any agent that causes burns on the skin would also cause burns in the throat and lungs when inhaled, thereby causing them to suffocate.
Indeed.  I don't think it's even used for riots often in first world countries, but it's the only other thing I could think of that "gas" could refer to. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: September 09, 2013, 05:46:47 pm »

They could have tried to wait him out. 107-year-olds are not particularly known for their stamina.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

They could have tried to wait him out. 107-year-olds are not particularly known for their stamina.

That's what I was saying... And I understand Frumple's response that bullets go through walls and ricochet and the like... but even so, I still find it hard to believe that an area couldn't be blocked off to make the situation 99.999999% safe.

I'm not demonizing the police in this case.  It's not a clear example of anything wrong.  I do think it's another example of an unfortunate situation being rushed to conclusion, with the final decision being "let's kill this guy to prevent the off-chance of someone getting hurt"...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: September 09, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

Wow, some people really will let you get away with anything when you're old.

I would be saying the same thing if he was a physically weak person of any other age. I would also be asking similar questions if he was a perfectly healthy person.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 14, 2013, 05:19:15 pm »

It annoyed me that the author spent so much time talking about the 2016 presidential election, but other than that it was definitely worth reading.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 667