Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818875 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1830 on: August 31, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »

We use Willy Pete as a smoke screen device, not as either an incendiary nor a chemical weapon (and it's pretty useless as far as chemical weapons go)

I know that it's all fine and good to paint the US as worsers than everyone else, but try to stick to something that we're actually guilty of, like the inevitable collateral damage in any fight, not stupid conspiracy claims that we firebomb civilians or that DU use will result in hills have eyes-esque children.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 31, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »

That's the worst thing about German neo-nazis: They claim that the firebombing campaigns[1] against Dresden and such were war crimes commited by the Allies. The real bad part is that they're technically right - something similar seems to be the case here.

[1] I actually come from the most heavily destroyed city in Germany - conventional bombing, as far as I know. Pretty much the only thing that wasn't destroyed was the old fortress in the middle of the city that they were trying to hit. It was later turned into a school - learning inside a goddamn fortress is pretty awesome.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1832 on: August 31, 2013, 02:43:38 pm »

Indeed, the most destruction comes out of the actual shelling and shooting people.  Random collateral damage from chemicals is just minor, compared to the explosions and everything else (and yet the collateral damage from the chemicals does still exist, but as long as they aren't explicitly used as chemical weapons its basically ok).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 31, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »

I know I kind of added fuel to this fire by putting in my opinion and letting everyone run with it, but I'd prefer it if we could splinter the Syria discussion into its own thread. This is Murrica.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1834 on: August 31, 2013, 02:48:02 pm »

We use Willy Pete as a smoke screen device, not as either an incendiary nor a chemical weapon (and it's pretty useless as far as chemical weapons go)

I know that it's all fine and good to paint the US as worsers than everyone else, but try to stick to something that we're actually guilty of, like the inevitable collateral damage in any fight, not stupid conspiracy claims that we firebomb civilians or that DU use will result in hills have eyes-esque children.

DU is a toxic heavy metal with effects on similar to lead poisoning; causing mental retardation, compromised immune systems and birth defects. DU also has the dubious advantage of being more highly oxidizable, it shatters and burns, producing toxic gases, ash and powder that spreads out from the impact area and can not be cleaned up as readily as lead fragments. There is nothing conspiracy theory about the known chemical  and physical properties and biological impact of long term exposure to the material.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 31, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

I know I kind of added fuel to this fire by putting in my opinion and letting everyone run with it, but I'd prefer it if we could splinter the Syria discussion into its own thread. This is Murrica.

Seconded.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 31, 2013, 03:05:53 pm »

Indeed, the most destruction comes out of the actual shelling and shooting people.  Random collateral damage from chemicals is just minor, compared to the explosions and everything else (and yet the collateral damage from the chemicals does still exist, but as long as they aren't explicitly used as chemical weapons its basically ok).

The worst part of war is the collateral damage that people rarely talk about.  For every person that dies violently, there are many more that suffer and die of poverty and disease because their family was ripped apart, the infrastructure they depended on was destroyed, and general instability.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »

It can destroy entire communities, even whole cultures.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 31, 2013, 03:25:22 pm »

Grave of the Fireflies
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59:34 pm »

That's the worst thing about German neo-nazis: They claim that the firebombing campaigns[1] against Dresden and such were war crimes commited by the Allies. The real bad part is that they're technically right - something similar seems to be the case here.

[1] I actually come from the most heavily destroyed city in Germany - conventional bombing, as far as I know. Pretty much the only thing that wasn't destroyed was the old fortress in the middle of the city that they were trying to hit. It was later turned into a school - learning inside a goddamn fortress is pretty awesome.
That was the British bombing policy. Wipe the cities out, and break the german people.
Link

Quote from: Churhil
'It seems to me that the moment has come when the question of bombing of German cities simply for the sake of increasing the terror, though under other pretexts, should be reviewed ... The destruction of Dresden remains a serious query against the conduct of Allied bombing.'

The destruction of Dresden was not an accident.

The worst part of war is the collateral damage that people rarely talk about.  For every person that dies violently, there are many more that suffer and die of poverty and disease because their family was ripped apart, the infrastructure they depended on was destroyed, and general instability.
Also, the bombs that remain in the ground. I mean, in Belgium we're still digging up tons of munition from WWI each year. Then there's the ammo dumps before the coast. (Both containing chemical ammunition, in the later case enough to destroy all marine life in the surrounding sea)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 31, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »

One of the main reasons for the near-death of the Scottish Gaelic language is that so many of the native speakers died in the trenches in the First World War. Between 1911 and 1921 about 40,000 speakers were lost. Now obviously there'll be people there who were elderly and died or left the country, but still, the decline doubled in speed during that decade. Out of a population of about 180,000 that's pretty damned significant, especially since they were mostly young men. Linguistics aside, that isn't even touching on the villages across the country that lost virtually their entire young male generation. Stuff like that happened all over Europe.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:14:37 pm by Owlbread »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: August 31, 2013, 04:29:33 pm »

Stuff like that happened all over Europe.
FTFY

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 31, 2013, 05:10:21 pm »

FTFY

In my quest to not sound so Scotto-Centric I accidentally became Anglo-Centric. I must keep an eye on that.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: August 31, 2013, 06:52:42 pm »

FTFY

In my quest to not sound so Scotto-Centric I accidentally became Anglo-Centric. I must keep an eye on that.

I continue to be amazed this is a thing.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 31, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »

RIP Novel, killed by Owlbread 08/31/2013.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 667