Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820668 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1035 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:00 am »

It looks like it circumvents the language of the act, which limits the president's power to deploy military in domestic situations.  This regulation gives someone else that authority instead, and expands its application to a vaguely defined circumstance.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 15, 2013, 12:16:37 pm »

US Navy successfully launches a UCAS drone from a carrier.

Goodbye, giant nuclear floating city supercarriers.
Hello, ~25,000-ton stealthed drone carriers.  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 15, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »

Huh. I'm kinda surprised they haven't done that already.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 15, 2013, 12:51:07 pm »

I'm just waiting for the carrier drones.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:36 pm »

I'm just waiting for the carrier drones.

A clip stirs...
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 15, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »

Huh. I'm kinda surprised they haven't done that already.
Not entirely just that, they launched it, but it landed itself. Think about that. They can now be entirely autonomous.

Goodbye, giant nuclear floating city supercarriers.
Hello, ~25,000-ton stealthed drone carriers.  :o

I wonder what china is thinking... After all, they only just got one of those floating nuke cities. And now the US has a conceivably massive drone army waiting in the wings, pun intended.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:11 pm »

More to the point, a goodly deal of Chinese defensive strategy has been focused on "How do we target and sink those American giant nuclear floating cities if shit gets real?". They were getting pretty good at having multiple ways to overwhelm and sink a single large target like that.

Suddenly replace said single large target with numerous smaller targets, all capable of fielding an air wing of drones. Hell, if the next-gen drones are mostly autonomous, you don't even have to protect the operators or maintain a line of communication to the drones (cyberattack/disrupting GPS and communications was the second major area of Chinese strategic development, the qi (unorthodox or suprise) to the zheng (orthodox or conventional) of mounting a large swarm attack.

Granted, we're still at least a decade away from purpose-built drone carriers. But it has the potential to completely reshape our naval power, and in a good direction. We'd been starting to starting to adopt the WWII Axis mindset of having a handful of high-value megavehicles, when what won the war was the Allies' zerg rush of inferior (but replaceable) pocket carriers and light tanks.

Replacing big, hard-to-replace hard-to-defend megacarriers with a crew of tens of thousands with pocket drone carriers with much smaller crews....good strategic direction. Also allows you to calibrate your force levels when you're dealing with a crisis situation and becomes much easier to be everywhere at once. Just my .02.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 15, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »

-snip-
This reminds me of a quote I read recently. "Generals are always preparing for the previous war."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 16, 2013, 03:10:59 am »

Actually, the "plenty of little ships"  has been gaining tractions a lot recently. Not only the carriers, but the LCS too. Not surprising, given America's last wars were smaller, lower-intensity conflicts.

Anyway, it's not that impressive in the the drone landed on the ground. I'll reserve my admiration for when they manage to land on a carrier in moderately bad weather.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 16, 2013, 04:56:03 am »

More to the point, a goodly deal of Chinese defensive strategy has been focused on "How do we target and sink those American giant nuclear floating cities if shit gets real?". They were getting pretty good at having multiple ways to overwhelm and sink a single large target like that.

Suddenly replace said single large target with numerous smaller targets, all capable of fielding an air wing of drones. Hell, if the next-gen drones are mostly autonomous, you don't even have to protect the operators or maintain a line of communication to the drones (cyberattack/disrupting GPS and communications was the second major area of Chinese strategic development, the qi (unorthodox or suprise) to the zheng (orthodox or conventional) of mounting a large swarm attack.

Granted, we're still at least a decade away from purpose-built drone carriers. But it has the potential to completely reshape our naval power, and in a good direction. We'd been starting to starting to adopt the WWII Axis mindset of having a handful of high-value megavehicles, when what won the war was the Allies' zerg rush of inferior (but replaceable) pocket carriers and light tanks.

Replacing big, hard-to-replace hard-to-defend megacarriers with a crew of tens of thousands with pocket drone carriers with much smaller crews....good strategic direction. Also allows you to calibrate your force levels when you're dealing with a crisis situation and becomes much easier to be everywhere at once. Just my .02.

Would this be a similar idea to the Roman army being defeated by barbarians? A gross simplification of the goings on at the time, but highly trained troops vs masses of axe wielding villagers seems a similar concept of a win for swarm tactics.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 16, 2013, 06:09:57 am »

only the roman army defeated and conquered barbarian armies and territories for centuries before the empire finally fell. the fall of rome was more a result of socio-economics and political and cultural paradigm shifts than warfare.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 16, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »

How relevant is this? http://www.smbc-comics.com/?db=comics&id=2778#comic
To a discussion on military technology and policy? I'd say pretty much not relevant at all.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 16, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »

Oho, but these posters have been discussing colleges elsewhere, which i really should have remembered. (and thread title).
Reading a thinner book

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

I think this may fit here, somehow.  Either this or the wtf thread.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 667