Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820623 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1020 on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:45 am »

Or they could split down party lines and the conservatives win 5/4.
Not at all going to happen. Roberts' comments have already established that he desires at least a limited recognition of equality. This leaves the conservative justices without a fifth vote.

1: limited equality is not equality.
2: i just don't trust the system enough that they will do the right thing on a predictable basis. I give it only a 50/50 probability, and that might be optimistic.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 11, 2013, 11:38:52 am »

I didn't say limited equality, I said a limited recognition of it, ala upholding the Ninth District without setting a national precedent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 11, 2013, 11:45:54 am »

I didn't say limited equality, I said a limited recognition of it, ala upholding the Ninth District without setting a national precedent.

Could you clarify for the non-american audiences? Is this something on the lines of gerrymandering?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 11, 2013, 11:48:43 am »

Could you clarify for the non-american audiences? Is this something on the lines of gerrymandering?
No, Novel. I don't know how you possibly could have gotten gerrymandering out of that. The Ninth District is the judicial district on the West Coast, who oversaw the case that lead to this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 11, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »

It's simple. They could decide the case on a limited basis relating strictly to the lower courts decision, denying a chance to have the case be ntional policy,
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1025 on: May 11, 2013, 12:09:50 pm »

It's simple. They could decide the case on a limited basis relating strictly to the lower courts decision, denying a chance to have the case be ntional policy,

And that is still a defeat of national right to marry.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 11, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »

I'll just quote myself from the progressive thread back when the arguments were made;
So the Prop 8 arguments happened. Early thoughts.

There are quite a few possible outcomes possible from this case. After oral arguments some of them seem much less likely. Note I'm going on very limited information as I haven't had time to read or listen to the full arguments yet.

1) Prop 8 upheld.
This seems extremely unlikely now. You definitely have two to four of the conservative justices taking this position, but it looks unlikely that they could get 5 votes. Kennedy all but ruled it out. I'd be shocked if this happened.

2) The court finds finds that those defending Prop 8 don't have standing and the case is thrown out.
This would have similar effects to 3 except removing adding a reset button to the legal process. Prop 8 would remain gone, but it would be possible for someone who did have standing to bring a new case in the future. The suggested example would be a state employee refusing to recognise same-sex marriage in their work. This seemed to be Robert's strategy, but looks near impossible now as both Kennedy and Alito argued strongly that the defendants did have standing otherwise unpopular ballot initiatives could never be defended in court. About as likely as an upholding now.

3) The court explicitly upholds the Californian ruling.
The ruling out of the District Court was a strange one. They essentially ruled that Prop 8 was illegal because it removed a right that had previously been granted. It didn't say that there is an inherent right to gay marriage in the constitution, just that once such a right has been extended to a group it can't be removed again. At least in part it looked like a strategic option to allow the Supreme Court to strike down Prop 8 without expanding gay marriage to all states. In my opinion the legal side was a stretch (is stripping a right briefly granted really that different from denying it outright?) and it almost looked too strategic and targeted towards Kennedy, who openly attacked it during arguments. I very much doubt this will happen. Even if it did, it wouldn't have much legal effect elsewhere, beyond making it impossible for states to remove gay marriage once granted.

4) The court dismisses the case entirely.
This seems entirely possible now given Kennedy's words. The effect would be pretty much identical to 3, except that the Californian ruling would have no legitimacy outside California, meaning that other states that tried to repeal a gay marriage law wouldn't be blocked by that ruling. Not that that is ever likely to matter. Right now this is where the smart money is going.

5) The court strike down gay marriage bans based on the administration's logic.
Essentially the administration argued that having 'separate but equal' civil unions is unlawful, and any state that discriminates in that way must allow gay marriage. Essentially all civil union states become gay marriage states, but those states without such unions can keep gay marriage illegal. The lack of any recognition of gay couples would become a matter for future cases. I don't think anyone was buying this, ever.

6) Prop 8 struck down because gay marriage is found to be a right.
This means gay marriage becomes legal in all states. Always seemed a little unlikely to me. The liberal justices definitely indicated they support this, with all four making comments in this direction. Kennedy made some statements that have been taken as opposition to this, but the quoted ones are not definitive and who knows what will happen. I still think it's a long shot.

As far as outcomes go, 1 would be the bad end. 2 is the good end but with a hint the end boss isn't truly dead. 3 and 4 are the good end. 5 is the surreal good ending you have to work hard for, is a lot of fun to watch but leaves half the people who get it incredibly confused. 6 is the rainbows and unicorns, we're all Californians now party time ending. Again, right now the smart money is on 4, but things aren't set in stone until the ruling is handed down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 11, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »

That's a pretty good summary of the prop 8 stuff.  My impression was that DOMA is likely to fall in the other case too.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 11, 2013, 12:33:14 pm »

And that is still a defeat of national right to marry.

A national right to marry is only indirectly the question here.

It's in the court's nature to decide the most narrow question they can for each case that comes up. If there is a way to decide a case without creating sweeping precedent effecting millions of people then the court is more likely to take that option than not. Only when the core of any given case is unavoidably entangled with a major constitutional question are you likely to see such major decisions made.

In this case there are a wealth of questions to be addressed before you get to the core question of a right to marry (or protected status for homosexuals) so it's most likely to be ignored. There is a chance it could be addressed, and most likely only in a positive manner, but it's incredibly foolish to look on any other decision as a defeat.

My impression was that DOMA is likely to fall in the other case too.

Looks likely, but what ground it's struck down is less certain and potentially more important. It looks most likely to go on a state's rights argument; that the federal government doesn't have the power to define marriage and that that right is reserved to the states. Which is all true. But isn't anywhere near the ideal decision based on the Fifth Amendment. There is even an argument that it is a harmful path to take.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 15, 2013, 04:02:36 am »

As noted in the article on this I posted in the Occupy thread, the major alteration to existing law here is the addition of allowing for use of the military to deal with "civil disturbances", which, like terrorism, could mean absolutely anything they want it to.  An Occupy encampment could be a civil disturbance.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1031 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:45 am »

And on orders of the President, with no constitutional or congressional authorization required.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 15, 2013, 04:05:06 am »

That party across the street is getting pretty noisy, better call the military!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 15, 2013, 04:22:33 am »

And on orders of the President, with no constitutional or congressional authorization required.

Actually...

Quote from: Regulation
Federal military commanders have the authority, in extraordinary emergency circumstances where prior authorization by the President is impossible and duly constituted local authorities are unable to control the situation, to engage temporarily in activities that are necessary to quell large-scale, unexpected civil disturbances.

Quote from: Article
One of the more disturbing aspects of the new procedures that govern military command on the ground in the event of a civil disturbance relates to authority. Not only does it fail to define what circumstances would be so severe that the president’s authorization is “impossible,” it grants full presidential authority to “Federal military commanders.” According to the defense official, a commander is defined as follows: “Somebody who’s in the position of command, has the title commander. And most of the time they are centrally selected by a board, they’ve gone through additional schooling to exercise command authority.”

As it is written, this “commander” has the same power to authorize military force as the president in the event the president is somehow unable to access a telephone. (The rule doesn’t address the statutory chain of authority that already exists in the event a sitting president is unavailable.) In doing so, this commander must exercise judgment in determining what constitutes, “wanton destruction of property,” “adequate protection for Federal property,” “domestic violence,” or “conspiracy that hinders the execution of State or Federal law,” as these are the circumstances that might be considered an “emergency.”
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 15, 2013, 05:04:05 am »

Wouldn't this be forbidden under the Posse Comitatus Act?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 667