Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820541 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #960 on: May 07, 2013, 06:09:18 pm »

Oh well, now would be a perfect time to say NY-D Senator Schumer has jumped on this already.

And, the man has a point. Untraceable unlimited None-metal-detector-setting-off guns does not sound fun.

*Flame-Proof Asbestos Suit donned*

Alright, thoughts?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 08, 2013, 09:30:30 am »

In tangentially related news, the NC Legislature is set to approve a bill that would expand concealed-carry rights to bars, sporting events, greenways, bike trails, and university campuses. It would also prevent cities and towns from prohibiting weapons from city parks.

....I may have to get a gun just so I'm not the only motherfucker in town who isn't packing heat.  :-\

I hate to say it, but imma laugh my ass off the first time there's a shootout at Charlotte Motor Speedway between rival NASCAR fans. Because sports + alcohol + guns = EPIC FAIL waiting to happen.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 08, 2013, 09:43:14 am »

What the hell is America's obsession with guns, anyway?

Is it ENTIRELY related to the second amendment, or what?

I mean I want a gun, but only for hunting, and bolt-action. M14. I don't feel the need to have fifty bazillion guns strapped to my dick or something...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 08, 2013, 09:46:56 am »

I mean I want a gun, but only for hunting, and bolt-action. M14. I don't feel the need to have fifty bazillion guns strapped to my dick or something...
Lack of proper edumacation and respect for guns?  Might be, kids learn and think 'guns are cool' from media, but they are not supposed to touch/handle guns themselves...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 08, 2013, 09:47:15 am »

As someone outside of America I usually assume it's based of a degree of paranoia. Namely that since people have guns, others feel they need them to protect themselves. Of course, I realise that wouldn't be the only reason.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 08, 2013, 09:51:02 am »

It's part of the national mythology as well -- that the country was a wild frontier which was steadily tamed with shovel, Bible and gun.

In that sense, it's as American to own a gun as it is British to be polite or Canadian to be humble.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 08, 2013, 09:51:31 am »

That might go towards explaining why guns are all important -now- but it doesn't explain where the obsession -originated- in. Why do people have guns in the first place to cause others to need it? Where were the gun-nuts coming from before the media became a part of every day life?

Edit: Redking, I guess.

Though it's Canadians who are polite and British who are humble. And snobby. Somehow. At the same time.

And Canadians are humble too.

GET YOUR STEREOTYPES STRAIGHT.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:54:00 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #967 on: May 08, 2013, 10:00:49 am »

There is no one answer.

America won its independence by force of arms.

America has spent >75% of its history as a frontier nation where hunting is a vital way of life.

Our constitution protects the right to bear arms.

When you need something to protect your life and your family in the next few seconds, the police are minutes away (or hours in some cases).
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 08, 2013, 10:03:37 am »

I guess it might come from (as Redking said) the history of America. A lot of the iconic moments I can think of about American history are about conflict. The Mafia during the prohibition, wild west cowboys, World War 2, revolting against British Empire and protecting against Native Americans, hunting, Confederacy tiffs. ::Shrugs:: I've got a rather limited knowledge of American history. :-\
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 08, 2013, 10:28:40 am »

Indeed, America does have a history of creating, expanding, and defending itself through force of arms and the 2nd Amendment was also placed in the Constitution as the ultimate, last-ditch defense against a tyrannical government. It is essentially a defensive provision to ensure that the people have a chance if they choose armed rebellion.

In addition, it can be reasonably argued that the reason for the recent mass shootings in this country is not the availability of firearms(in fact, they are far less available today then they were 50 years ago when you could mail-order a rifle or pick up a revolver from a hardware store), but through societal decay brought on by a number of factors.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 08, 2013, 10:32:33 am »

I... don't actually think society is decaying.

Well, American society, maybe. But... On the whole? I think it's getting better.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:30 am »

I was talking about American society. Our news media routinely blows mass killings out of proportion, effectively making the killer a celebrity. In addition, young children spending all their time playing violent video games instead of interacting with people can, in my opinion, reduce their respect for life in general.

I would like to clarify that I have no problem with violent video games, only young children playing them. And anyway, wouldn't it be nice if those 12-year-olds just went away when you were trying to play?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #972 on: May 08, 2013, 10:43:26 am »

I was talking about American society. Our news media routinely blows mass killings out of proportion, effectively making the killer a celebrity. In addition, young children spending all their time playing violent video games instead of interacting with people can, in my opinion, reduce their respect for life in general.

I would like to clarify that I have no problem with violent video games, only young children playing them. And anyway, wouldn't it be nice if those 12-year-olds just went away when you were trying to play?

And yet, since the introduction of violent video games, the actual crime rate in America has been falling steadily. The average American is safer from violence now than in the 1950's.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:29 am »

Indeed, America does have a history of creating, expanding, and defending itself through force of arms and the 2nd Amendment was also placed in the Constitution as the ultimate, last-ditch defense against a tyrannical government. It is essentially a defensive provision to ensure that the people have a chance if they choose armed rebellion.

In addition, it can be reasonably argued that the reason for the recent mass shootings in this country is not the availability of firearms(in fact, they are far less available today then they were 50 years ago when you could mail-order a rifle or pick up a revolver from a hardware store), but through societal decay brought on by a number of factors.
Ah yes, the whole "danged kids these days" argument. Which ignores the fact that we've had random people snap and start shooting innocent bystanders for a long time. Like, since before the colonies stopped being colonies. Difference is that Ye Olde Nutcafe was armed with a flintlock single-shot weapon which was horribly inaccurate, not a semi-automatic with a 30-shot banana clip and a laser sight.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50:20 am »

That isn't to say there is a causation. Could be something entirely different causing lowered crime-rate.

My personal theory is that the crime-rate has actually been steady, but all the crime is happening in jails. It's not reported in the same way as extra-penal crime is, so crime looks like it's been going down.

I could be entirely wrong, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 667