Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820355 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #915 on: May 05, 2013, 08:48:21 am »

And ours is metal.

HEAVY METAL!

* Descan does a wicked guitar riff.

No, seriously. Don't eat our money. Shit's deadly, yo.

I wish I'd known that before, damnit.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #916 on: May 06, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »

Remember when I accidentally an article about Ted Cruz in Portuguese about a month or so ago? É voltado. But where's the birth certificate?

More general article on his possible 2016 run. I'd love to see a showdown of, say, Cruz/Santorum vs. Warren/Schweitzer. It would be hilarious. Though what's frightening is that while Cruz is a firebrand and a partisan, he isn't a lunatic- he's smart, young, dedicated. His biggest flaw in an election would be his tendency to make enemies, not looking out-of-touch.
I have to disagree with that. He once stopped a resolution passing through the senate (one of those really small ones, recognizing a week as autism week or something, the ones where they just pass is through a unanimity-form unless someone dissents) which commemorated Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week, on the grounds he wanted to review its language.

I'll have to send a check to his campaign fund, it looks like. Wow.

You say firebrand, the article says "ideological purity", but also says he'd rattle the republican establishment and reconnect to the base. This may be symptomatic of the website, i Haven't checked, but can you clarify as to what exactly his viewpoints are?

Also, if it hasn't already been mentioned, the first 3d printed gun has been fired. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #917 on: May 06, 2013, 09:49:23 pm »

Also, if it hasn't already been mentioned, the first 3d printed gun has been fired. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185.

I can see this being a really convenient excuse to limit availability of 3d printers (something that has a lot of potential to upset the standard formula for consumerism) for the benefit of established industries, while mitigating some of the cultural backlash that normally goes along with anti-progress protectionism.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 06, 2013, 10:25:03 pm »

I can see this being a really convenient excuse to limit availability of 3d printers (something that has a lot of potential to upset the standard formula for consumerism) for the benefit of established industries, while mitigating some of the cultural backlash that normally goes along with anti-progress protectionism.
I certainly can't. For one, you still can't really print a gun. These guys had to get an existing firing pin. And you definitely can't print ammunition.

Anyway, it's against the interests of everyone to limit 3D printers, and there's also the small problem of it being impossible. 3D printers can print 3D printer parts. Any attempt to go against it will be so ineffectual as to be laughable.

Remember "You wouldn't download a car", and how everyone who watched that propaganda thought to themselves how they would download a car? Well, once people can download cars they will, and nothing is going to stop that.

Anyway, I have to question your immediate assumption of...whomever wanting to limit 3D printers. Large-scale 3D printing is going to be a big thing amongst businesses in the next century. Small-scale is already being used as appliances (as I mentioned in my thread, Staples will begin selling a 3D printer in June).

But let's assume that someone wants to limit 3D printers. How could you possibly do this when the cat is already out of the bag? Once people have a taste, which they really already have, it won't work. It's like arguing that McDonalds could get microwaves banned.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:54 pm »

Same way they got rid of DVR "edit the commercials out" technology. Make a pact, supress ifno, and destroy companies that attempt to fight it. Or they will simply find a way to monetize the process. It should be noted that a complete collapse of the process of making things would most likely (and don't jump me) hurt the economy. Corporations still have regular humans as the rank and file, despite rumors to the contrary.
Remember when I accidentally an article about Ted Cruz in Portuguese about a month or so ago? É voltado. But where's the birth certificate?

More general article on his possible 2016 run. I'd love to see a showdown of, say, Cruz/Santorum vs. Warren/Schweitzer. It would be hilarious. Though what's frightening is that while Cruz is a firebrand and a partisan, he isn't a lunatic- he's smart, young, dedicated. His biggest flaw in an election would be his tendency to make enemies, not looking out-of-touch.
I have to disagree with that. He once stopped a resolution passing through the senate (one of those really small ones, recognizing a week as autism week or something, the ones where they just pass is through a unanimity-form unless someone dissents) which commemorated Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week, on the grounds he wanted to review its language.

I'll have to send a check to his campaign fund, it looks like. Wow.

You say firebrand, the article says "ideological purity", but also says he'd rattle the republican establishment and reconnect to the base. This may be symptomatic of the website, i Haven't checked, but can you clarify as to what exactly his viewpoints are?

well simple. The establishment is thought to compromise ideology more in thr name of realism, he wouldn't, and would "respect" the wishes of the people.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »

It should be noted that a complete collapse of the process of making things would most likely (and don't jump me) hurt the economy.
The way we do things now is what hurts the economy. We need an economy focused upon bringing quality services to people instead of what we have now, which claims to be that but is more about holla holla get dolla.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 06, 2013, 11:41:08 pm »

Not many people have had any taste of 3d printing.  My impression is most non-geeks are only vaguely aware of it.  Feed lines about 3d printers being used as weapons factories for terrorists into general public, and those informed enough to know better will be too much of a minority to combat that kind of propaganda for at least a few more years.

The number of people who had a taste of file sharing before the legal battles began was much, much larger, and the only legitimate basis for those legal battles was to protect profits of businesses... yet 15 years later, it's still one of the hottest ongoing legal debates and we're constantly having to fight off draconian measures against copyright infringement, especially with many other unadmitted interests piggybacking on the IP protection crusade.

Yeah, the arguments and framing of the topic put forth by that crusade are laughed at by perhaps a majority, and yet it's still an incredibly powerful and relentless lobby. 

And all it's trying to do is force people to pay for data.  How are industries going to respond when people no longer feel the need to pay for anything that can be made of plastic?  And it's only a matter of time before that expands to other materials as well.

I'm not saying that anything is going to happen, but I can easily imagine it.  And regulating 3d printers would be much easier than regulating internet activity.

It should be noted that a complete collapse of the process of making things would most likely (and don't jump me) hurt the economy.
The way we do things now is what hurts the economy. We need an economy focused upon bringing quality services to people instead of what we have now, which claims to be that but is more about holla holla get dolla.

Hurts the economy for us.  Not for the people who are getting dolla, and like to use their dolla to protect the exclusivity of their dolla getting privileges.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:44:50 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:37 pm »

Dude, 3D printers are mainstream news. That Staples 3D printer I mentioned? That was on CNN. It's a big deal.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:10 am »

Personally, I can't see any reason 3D printers shouldn't be regulated and kept under government control. You could have certain 3D printing stations where they are publicly available for only the cost of material, and then you'd have easy available records of what have been printed and by who.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:25 am »

Dude, 3D printers are mainstream news. That Staples 3D printer I mentioned? That was on CNN. It's a big deal.

Hence vague awareness.  I'm sure news mention doesn't translate into understanding of what the technology can do, much less an idea of what that technology will mean for society that isn't easily knocked off-kilter by a little sensationalism.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 07, 2013, 01:04:25 am »

Personally, I can't see any reason 3D printers shouldn't be regulated and kept under government control. You could have certain 3D printing stations where they are publicly available for only the cost of material, and then you'd have easy available records of what have been printed and by who.
Because the government will proceed to use it to further their own interests and suppress people by looking at their records? Same problem as non-secret voting records, really.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:07:45 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 07, 2013, 01:16:31 am »

...What? How could a goverment use "it" to "further their own interests" or "suppress people"? How is that anything like open voter-records? It's much more akin to library records of what books you've lent.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 07, 2013, 01:20:02 am »

Wouldn't be hard. Whomever is ruling in the current government will use the records of their identified opposition to deny them access to what would become a vital part of society.

3D printers are best off decentralized and secret, not state-sponsored and public.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 07, 2013, 01:29:54 am »

Don't forget, too, that said data could be sold to the highest bidder to spam us with more advertising crap. Just another way for those in power to make a quick buck from the skin of the working class.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 07, 2013, 01:47:07 am »

Wouldn't be hard. Whomever is ruling in the current government will use the records of their identified opposition to deny them access to what would become a vital part of society.

How? The fact that it's state owned doesn't mean the governing party have access to it, the same way they don't have access to my health or apothecary records. No European government are using such records to stop "the opposition" from getting healthcare.

And frankly, if any government would be able to do that without being ousted, then that's what need to change, and thr answer certainly isn't "let people print whatever they like at home without any insight into it!"

3D printers are best off decentralized and secret, not state-sponsored and public.

...Really. "Secret".

Don't forget, too, that said data could be sold to the highest bidder to spam us with more advertising crap. Just another way for those in power to make a quick buck from the skin of the working class.

Why would that even be legal? Not to mention it would be less likely to happen with communal "printing stations" than private ones. And don't kid yourself unto thinking "there won't be any private printing companies because there will be a printer in every house". If you'd want anything made from stuff other than plastic, the material cost would he much cheaper in bulk and as such printing stations would still be profitable. And they would definitely have no qualms about selling your records.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 667