Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819742 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #750 on: April 10, 2013, 05:44:28 pm »

I'm not gonna lie: I actually kind of like Rand Paul. Like his father, he knows what he believes and sticks to his guns, and in this day and age I think that commands respect from you no matter where you are on the political spectrum. I wouldn't want him in the White House, sure, but as a gadfly to get the Democrats to get serious about civil liberties again, I will give him my support.

Upon reading Silver: yeah, probable witch. That does explain the GOP much better...

I'd gotten the sense after the fiscal cliff was avoided and the sequester went through that the GOP had come to more of an internal consensus. You'd posit that, in fact, things are just heating up?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:58:20 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:43 am »

I'd gotten the sense after the fiscal cliff was avoided and the sequester went through that the GOP had come to more of an internal consensus. You'd posit that, in fact, things are just heating up?

The internal GOP battleground will be over social policy, not so much economics. Self-labelled Conservatives make up about 75% of the GOP base, with 20+% moderates and a very few self-labelled liberals. The Conservative bloc wants to purge leftists out of the party - but this actually means the Moderates. And they label themselves as "average Americans". But Conservatives only make up about 40% of the total national population, so with just that voter base you can't really get elected. So, the Moderate elements which remain in the party want to broaden appeal beyond Conservative ValuesTM, to help get elected. This is a big no-no for the Conservative wing, who through their rhetoric actually believe that by becoming more hardline Right Wing Conservative, they will pick up votes from some alienated "average Americans".

Whereas the Democrats have about 40% Moderates, 40% Liberals and 20% Conservatives in their voter base, so they're not so tied to dogmatically serving a mono-culture of opinion as the GOP are.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:22:54 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17:34 am »

That said, we might eventually see some conflict between the rational and irrational fiscal conservatives (i.e., the difference between those who want to kill PBS and food stamps to look tough and those who want to cut the actual sources of overspending).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 11, 2013, 11:24:55 am »

So I just saw one of this week's Daily Show. Apparently some Virginian dude is outlawing any non-vaginal sex? What the?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:23 am »

So I just saw one of this week's Daily Show. Apparently some Virginian dude is outlawing any non-vaginal sex? What the?
Dude, in some states it used to be illegal for any position other than missionary.

Thousands of well-meaning cowgirls were made into outlaws... :P

Sodomy is still illegal in some states.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:20 am »

Not really since Lawrence, although there are still states with it on the books.

In this case it's Ken Cuccinelli trying to defend Virginia's supposedly defunct sodomy law to the fourth circuit.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:43 am »

States ruled sodomy laws (which non-vaginal sex IS, per definition) non-constitutional back in '03 (of this century).

edit: As an 8th century pirate, fuckyouninjas.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 11, 2013, 02:13:39 pm »

Not really since Lawrence, although there are still states with it on the books.

In this case it's Ken Cuccinelli trying to defend Virginia's supposedly defunct sodomy law to the fourth circuit.

He's popped up earlier for some other sort of batshittery, although I can't recall what. Apparently he's on the long list for the GOP's rising stars, though, so we may be seeing more of him in future.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 11, 2013, 05:27:27 pm »

All it proves is that education is Devil Obama's tool to control America. People closer to Jesus made the righter choice!
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 11, 2013, 05:28:28 pm »

... all it proves is that breaking news is apparently half a decade old ???
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 11, 2013, 05:33:47 pm »

... all it proves is that breaking news is apparently half a decade old ???

...I'm feeling old.

It's 2013.

IT'S 2013.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 11, 2013, 05:50:11 pm »

A. You're not old.
B. Shut up. You're not old.
C. ಠ_ಠ
D: You get to say you feel old when your prostate's bigger than your brain.
E. : intentional for D.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 11, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »

He's popped up earlier for some other sort of batshittery, although I can't recall what.

Cuccinelli? Where to start...

He was one of the point men in trying to get the healthcare bill overturned in federal courts.
He effectively ordered a 'papers please' immigration policy through a legal opinion, bypassing the state assembly.
He issued an opinion banning non-discrimination policies that included sexuality or gender expression from state institutions, including universities.
He has tried to sue both over the EPA regulating air standards and the Clean Air Act.
He has repeatedly sued for all correspondence that Michael Mann - the high profile climate scientist - has ever had with effectively anyone in Virginia, despite his reasoning being rejected multiple times by judges and Mann being cleared of any wrongdoing by multiple hearings.

This is only since he became Virginia's Attorney General in 2009. He even, at one point, flirted with birtherism.

Oh, and he's running for governor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megatihread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #764 on: April 12, 2013, 12:57:27 am »

What sort of power/purpose does an American "attorney general" have, exactly?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 667