Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819828 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #720 on: April 04, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »

The same provisions on student voting have also been rolled into a larger omnibus bill, Senate Bill 666, which would also shorten early voting days, ban early voting on evenings and weekends and prohibit same-day registration.

The same provisions on student voting have also been rolled into a larger omnibus bill, Senate Bill 666,

into a larger omnibus bill, Senate Bill 666,

Senate Bill 666,

Senate Bill 666

The end is nigh!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:05 am »

I also love the other justification. "Listen, we need to save money, and Democracy simply is too expensive. We can't afford it anymore".

I'd love to be Jon Stewart. His script is basically being written at North Carolina's expense.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 05, 2013, 07:33:49 am »

They also have a bill in to increase the waiting period for getting a divorce from 1 year to 2, and require every couple filing for a divorce to take a 4-hour course per child on the effects of divorce on children.

Because forcing two people who can't stand to live in the same house together to spend another year together is really going to fix things. Especially in cases of domestic abuse. This one is near and dear to my heart, since I'm in the midst of a divorce.

Oh, and they're also hard at work dealing with vital issues like mandating schools teach cursive handwriting and multiplication tables. Thank God for those small-government conservatives!

I'm pretty sure the next bill will mandate relabelling gas mileage in "furlongs per hogshead". >_<

North Carolina: Proudly marching backwards at the speed of light!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:01 am »

...So basically, North Carolina just usurped Florida as the country's center for screwball politics? Welp, time to build my bunker and wait for the end of days....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:56 am »

They also have a bill in to increase the waiting period for getting a divorce from 1 year to 2, and require every couple filing for a divorce to take a 4-hour course per child on the effects of divorce on children.
So wait, they are encouraging couples to stay together for the kids while they hate each other?
Didn't we determine some time ago that doing that is actually bad for the child/children in question?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 05, 2013, 07:48:45 am »

I'm actually surprised you have a waiting period at all. Why can't you guys just divorce when you want?

Well, at least they're not mandating that married couple have to live together.Yet.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:32 am »

I'm actually surprised you have a waiting period at all. Why can't you guys just divorce when you want?

Well, at least they're not mandating that married couple have to live together.Yet.
Because FAMILY VALUES.

Yeah, in North Carolina you have to be separated for one year before you can seek a divorce. Ostensibly, it's to give a "cooling-off" period for people to have second thoughts and a chance to reconcile. Thing is, people who are that reasonable, and whose problems are small enough that reconciliation is possible.....probably wouldn't get a knee-jerk divorce in the first place. But whatever....one year is acceptable to me, gives enough time to peacefully disentangle finances, work out custody arrangements, etc. Two years....that's kind of excessive.

It's morbidly amusing that they want a two-year waiting period for a divorce, but zero waiting period to buy a gun. As my sweetheart said to me the other day, if it were up to her there would be a one year waiting period to get married and a one-day waiting period to get divorced.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 05, 2013, 08:18:25 am »

For the record, cursive is great.  My handwriting has improved a billionfold since I started writing in cursive.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 05, 2013, 10:20:15 am »

The only bright side is that this is going to make the GOP's resurgence in North Carolina crash and burn come 2014.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 05, 2013, 10:50:05 am »

The only bright side is that this is going to make the GOP's resurgence in North Carolina crash and burn come 2014.
Don't be sure about that. I thought the same thing in 2012. They've managed to use their hold on power to redraw the district lines and gerrymander it all to hell, even at the level of state districts. And because they control both chambers of the legislature *and* the Governor's Mansion....yeah, we're pretty much on an express train ride to Hell.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2013, 10:53:50 am »

Don't be sure about that. I thought the same thing in 2012. They've managed to use their hold on power to redraw the district lines and gerrymander it all to hell, even at the level of state districts. And because they control both chambers of the legislature *and* the Governor's Mansion....yeah, we're pretty much on an express train ride to Hell.
Gerrymandering can be a double-edged sword if you do a bad enough job, and plus, their gerrymandering might well get the courts on them again. I'm mostly hopeful because the GOP Civil War will have spiraled out of control by then, or at least by 2016. Once the far-right and center-right cease to cooperate, we'll be golden.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »

their gerrymandering might well get the courts on them again.

But that's not what the courts do anymore. They turn a complete blind eye to partisan gerrymandering. Unless North Carolina ends up breaking the mould on that precedent. Wouldn't hedge bets, though.

OTOH, a schism of GOP hardliners and moderates is the most likely outcome in the long run.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:32:12 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2013, 11:28:30 pm »

"A 12-year-old girl in a New York City school cannot be given an aspirin by her teacher, even if she has a fever. The same girl cannot buy a large soda during lunchtime because Mayor Michael Bloomberg has decreed that it is not good for her. But she can be given a pill, unbeknownst to her parents, that could arguably abort her baby," he said in a statement.

So, the argument goes that 12 year old girls should be having babies then?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 05, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »

"A 12-year-old girl in a New York City school cannot be given an aspirin by her teacher, even if she has a fever. The same girl cannot buy a large soda during lunchtime because Mayor Michael Bloomberg has decreed that it is not good for her. But she can be given a pill, unbeknownst to her parents, that could arguably abort her baby," he said in a statement.

So, the argument goes that 12 year old girls should be having babies then?
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure abortion is the standard medical recommendation for a pregnant 12-year old. That's an extremely dangerous pregnancy at best.

But more to the point, birth control pills don't cause abortions in any case. Hell, their primary ingredient is a hormone that is present in pregnancy anyway. Maybe if you ate enough to poison yourself or something.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 667