Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820429 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2013, 10:19:00 am »

I'm fine with filibusters because it gives them a chance not to act rashly as long as one person is willing to act as the voice of reason.
Or prevent any action as long as one insane person is willing to filibuster.

I'm kind of ambiguous on the concept. Especially since it means that it essentially takes 60 votes to get anything important passed, rather than 50.

Well everyone, it's time to give the army some more money. I kinda like having education benefits, you know?

http://www.armytimes.com/mobile/news/2013/03/army-army-to-suspend-tuition-assistance-030813
But what about the poor billionaires? Why should they see a 0.5% tax hike just so you can learn how to do something marketable in the civilian world? Not their fault you picked a career field that involves driving a tank and lobbing large explosives for miles.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:35 am »

I'm fine with filibusters because it gives them a chance not to act rashly as long as one person is willing to act as the voice of reason.
Or prevent any action as long as one insane person is willing to filibuster.

I'm kind of ambiguous on the concept. Especially since it means that it essentially takes 60 votes to get anything important passed, rather than 50.
No, not That pseudo-meaning of Filibuster. Traditional ones, where the only limit is how long you can keep talking. And yes they have been used for bad purposes, Ergo the Senator Strom Thurmond filibustering the Civil Rights act of 1964 for 24 hours.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:10 am »

Well everyone, it's time to give the army some more money. I kinda like having education benefits, you know?
Or maybe the army should learn how to make saner budget cuts. This is just their attempt to do as much damage as possible so they'll get their money back. I'm sorry Strife, but I really don't think they care about you guys that much.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #528 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:24 pm »

Or maybe the army should learn how to make saner budget cuts. This is just their attempt to do as much damage as possible so they'll get their money back. I'm sorry Strife, but I really don't think they care about you guys that much.

Its more a case of stuff that they can cut quickly. Its going to take time to spool down their volume of procurement and development contracts.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 08, 2013, 01:47:43 pm »

Seems a way to get the 'grassroots' mobilized against the budget cuts I suppose... manipulation is not beyond the top brass.  Either way, they get to keep the 'important' part...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »

I'm with Nadaka on this one. There simply ain't that many stuff you can cute in an hurry. They're not going to fire-sale a carrier group. The problem is that your whole military needs to downsize, and that's not something that can be done in a hurry.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 08, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »

You could mothball the carrier group.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 08, 2013, 02:35:48 pm »

You could mothball the carrier group.

It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to mothball a carrier group, and that dramatically reduces our ability to mount any kind of military response.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 08, 2013, 02:46:27 pm »

Yeah, and it's a pain in the ass if the spending cut are removed and you need to unmothball it.

Although you guys should really curb the number of carrier you have. It's getting ridiculous.

According to wikipedia, there is currently 22 carriers in service or in reserve. The US operates half of them. Out of the other 11, US allies operates 6 of them.

Now, you might think it's not ridiculous enough. Well, actually, what the US calls a carrier is significantly bigger than what the rest of the world calls a carrier. In the US Navy, the other carriers would be classified as Amphibious Assault Ships, of which the US has many more. (Okay, not all amphibious assault ships are comparable to foreign carriers, but by Wikipedia's count at least 9 are.)

You could scrap half of your navy and still have more than enough...

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 08, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »

I don't think you understand the mindset of the US Navy. They'll be deploying their first railguns before 2015.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:48 pm »

Then all they need is something to shoot them at.

Hell, the Royal Navy doesnt really have any aircraft carriers anymore - we share them with the French, who have carriers but not a signifigant number of aircraft desigend for carrier operations. Napoleon would have one of his legendary hissy fits.

Is this "horses and bayonets" all over again?
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 08, 2013, 03:23:45 pm »

I think the "sharing with the french" is a plan, not a reality yet.

And yes, I understand that the admirals want all their toys and yet more. I understand that they want every puddle to have its carrier group and are probably waiting eagerly the discovery of enough water on the moon that they can jsutify putting a fleet up there as well.

But this does not mean that the US government should give them the cash to. Your military is simply ridiculously oversized and should be cut in half.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 08, 2013, 03:29:26 pm »

And that shouldn't happen all at once. It takes time. Restructuring down by 50% will take the better part of a few decades.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2013, 03:29:43 pm »

IIRC, they've already held off on the construction contract for the next John F. Kennedy.

Once you have a big ship project like a carrier in the works, it's not something you just put the brakes on.

They're right, something like tuition assistance is low-hanging fruit, and it doesn't directly compromise the core mission of the military -- to kill people and break things. Long-term, it'll hamper recruiting bigtime and cause morale problems and higher force attrition but I imagine the hope is that this'll all get sorted quickly and they'll get their money back.

Longer-term, I'd expect to see them start nixing expensive new toys. Hagel was a grunt (and the first ex-military SecDef to have been enlisted instead of an officer) so I think he'll direct budget authorities in the direction of increased support services. At least that's my hope.

And with all due respect to the European contingent here, your countries don't have to be able to project power into four theaters simultaneously (Atlantic, Mediterranean, Pacific, Persian Gulf/Indian Ocean). Europe, for the most part only needs to handle one or two of those (Atlantic/Baltic and Mediterranean). 

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 08, 2013, 03:30:04 pm »

I don't think you understand the mindset of the US Navy. They'll be deploying their first railguns before 2015.

Well, the whole point of having a Navy that big is that it prevents any credible invasion threats against the US. We control the Seas. We control the seas whether our Allies are on board or not. And as long as the US controls the Seas it CANNOT be invaded except by Mexico or Canada, neither of which is a threat (for various reasons).

The Navy and the Carriers are the single biggest projection of US power in the world, and it makes a huge difference in how much pressure the US can put on somewhere that works against US interests. Right now, if we really wanted to, we could blockade China. Their Navy can't compare, and they don't have the ability to truly repel the US Navy. It's one of the things they'd really like to change about the balance of world power.

I highly doubt that the US government will limit that capability, even if they reduce the ground forces by a good bit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 667