Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819632 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9675 on: November 24, 2014, 11:14:51 pm »

Guys, can we maybe move the Ferguson stuff into its own thread? It'll get better discussion there.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: November 24, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »

It actually does have it's own theread, back a number of forum pages.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: November 24, 2014, 11:20:47 pm »

Murder statistic may have been combined with all the stuff going around in St. Louis.  It'd be a pain to differentiate, so let's call the over 100 hearsay for the time being, but I don't doubt that there were at least some perpetuated.

"Over 100 murders" in a population of around 20,000 (the on record population of Ferguson) is one half a percent of the total population of the entire town. 1 dead per 200 residents, or a murder of 500 per 100,000 residents in 2 months. Make that yearly and you'd be getting like 1 in 30 of the entire population murdered on an annual basis. Is it even remotely possible that localized killings on that level aren't even blipping on the news radar?

That would make it literally THE most dangerous city in the entire world. For such a thing to go under the radar isn't "hearsay" we have another word for that, simple "bullshit".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:23:44 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: November 24, 2014, 11:21:39 pm »

Well....the comment stream on these feeds pretty much killed any hope I had for this country.

Mission Accomplished.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: November 24, 2014, 11:24:02 pm »

Well....the comment stream on these feeds pretty much killed any hope I had for this country.

Mission Accomplished.

SUmmarize the comment stream on those feeds as I'm not looking at the feeds atm.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: November 24, 2014, 11:25:41 pm »

@Reelya: Note I did say 'mixed up with St. Louis'.  that implies St. Louis and its surrounding metropolitan area, not just Ferguson.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:27:24 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: November 24, 2014, 11:26:57 pm »

I quit reading when I got to posts about how Obama and the Communist Party of America and George Soros were behind this.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: November 24, 2014, 11:27:07 pm »

Note I did say 'mixed up with St. Louis'.  that implies St. Louis and its surrounding metropolitan area, not just Ferguson.

They're basically saying "violence and mindlessness are in black people's nature." Don't get me wrong, they're hardly as coherent as that, but that's the message that's dominating.

But yeah, this would be better in its own thread. I bumped the abusive policing thread, but perhaps a new one would be better.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:51 pm »

Wrong post quoted.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: November 24, 2014, 11:31:24 pm »

Note I did say 'mixed up with St. Louis'.  that implies St. Louis and its surrounding metropolitan area, not just Ferguson.

They're basically saying "violence and mindlessness are in black people's nature." Don't get me wrong, they're hardly as coherent as that, but that's the message that's dominating.

But yeah, this would be better in its own thread. I bumped the abusive policing thread, but perhaps a new one would be better.

The riots definetly don't help that image, though it's not just black people that are rioting.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:30 pm »

Actually, the most common message I'm seeing is "Why aren't the cops just lighting up these n-----s?"  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:01 pm »

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stl-info/st-louis-crime-reports-for/html_9ffe4219-05aa-526d-92a1-3661d6b66842.html?appSession=825132192592636

Year to date, homicides for St Loius. Jan - Sept = 101

The previous years tally up to september were 79 last year, and 89 the year before. So "expected" rate "pre-Ferguson", let's call that 85 by averaging the last 2 years data. What that suggests, is that if there is any direct Ferguson effect on the murder rate, it's at most 16 cases. Anyway if you look at historical data, 2012 and 2013 were below-average for St Louis. so this year isn't any different to other years.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-St.-Louis-Missouri.html

Ok, maybe an annualized rate isn't picking up the scale of the riots. Let's look at a more recent data slice. 9 more people were murdered in St Louis from Oct 1st-Oct 20th (murder #102-#110):
http://www.riverfronttimes.com/related/to/Murder+and+Homicide/

So that's an annualized rate for the period of early October of 164 murders (9 murders / 20 days * 365 days/year). Which would actually be lower then the average murder rate in 2008, which was 167. Yes that's right, October in St Louis since the riots started was safer than the city was in 2008, at least in terms of your chance of being killed by a stranger. Your chance of being killed by a cop however, has in fact skyrocketed.

Basically, going off available statistics, there's absolutely no reason to think St Louis has more murders than other times when the riots weren't happening. Hence, if there are any riot-related killings, they're not even statistically significant enough to blip the murder rate up over previous years, let alone comparable to a war zone as the "over 100" killed because of the riots bullshit suggests.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:48:30 pm by Reelya »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:26 am »

Anybody know if cars blow up explosively when on fire? Or is that just a Hollywood thing?

Yeah, mass anarchy over in Ferguson, hope the people in NYC show how it's done peacefully.
That's just a hollywood thing. You have to pressurize gas to get it to really explode, unless there's already a large open flame that you're throwing unprotected gas onto. Hell, you can boil gasoline without too many ill effects except fumes.

Edit: Clarity

You will get explosions, though - from the tires and battery. Just not big, Hollywood-style explosions, more just somewhat gunshot-like sounds, if memory serves.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: November 25, 2014, 12:29:17 am »

It's LA all over again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: November 26, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

Well, now that the dust is mostly settled, the House looks like this: 244 R, 188 D, with 3 TBD.
Of these, there are now only 5 Democrats in Romney voting seats (Obama 2012 % in parentheses):
Arizona-1: (48% Obama) [NE Arizona, includes Hopi & Navajo Indian Reservations]
Florida-2: (47% Obama) [Historically Democratic Florida Panhandle counties plus state capital of Tallahasee]
Florida-18: (48% Obama) [Miami suburbs?]
Minnesota-7: (44% Obama) [Historically Democratic Western Minnesota]
Nebraska-2: (46% Obama) [Omaha & nearby suburbs]

There are a lot more Republicans in Obama-voting seats at this point.  Something like 20-30, meaning that the GOP could be a bit overexposed in a pro-Democratic year.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 667