Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820705 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9330 on: November 04, 2014, 10:09:40 pm »

I dunno...I think the Republicans are going to stall out around 48 seats. Just a gut feeling.

One very interesting note: a number of states have minimum wage hike ballot initiatives in play, and they're all passing. Even in blood-red states like Nebraska, they're passing with about 60-65% approval. Republicans simply can't defend their opposition to a national minimum wage increase when their core states are passing them.

I wish I possessed your gut.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: November 04, 2014, 10:24:58 pm »

I dunno...I think the Republicans are going to stall out around 48 seats. Just a gut feeling.

One very interesting note: a number of states have minimum wage hike ballot initiatives in play, and they're all passing. Even in blood-red states like Nebraska, they're passing with about 60-65% approval. Republicans simply can't defend their opposition to a national minimum wage increase when their core states are passing them.

I wish I possessed your gut.
I'm a little less sanguine about the 48 number now that Kansas and NC have started trending red. :-/

BUT...results are starting to come in for Iowa and Braley has a pretty solid 13-point lead with 6.9% reporting. I don't know the full dynamics of Iowa politics, but there's a pretty good chance that the Dems hold on to Iowa. They're set to win NM and lose CO, which I was already counting in my math on the previous post. If they hold IA, then I think the Republicans have to run the table in the other 4 (including the LA runoff) to take control. Which they could do. But at least the Doom That Came to Washington will be delayed by a couple of months. And if Begich pulls out a win in AK or the NC race flips back to Hagan or Orman sneaks ahead of Roberts in KS, then things start to look a bit rosier for the Dems. It's a knife-thin margin, but it's a margin. Credit them pulling out MI and NH for even still having hope at this point.

EDIT: SHIT. Forgot about Virginia. And Gillespie (R) is currently leading Mark Warner (D), although narrowly. That makes the calculus a bit hairier. :( Add VA to the mix, and GOP needs to win 4 of 6 to take control.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:26:52 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: November 04, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »

FiveThirtyEight currently has the GOP with an 86% chance of taking the Senate. And Colorado has gone GOP.

Edit: Also, Louisiana is officially headed to a runoff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:34:22 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: November 04, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

Yeah, it's looking like the GOP will take the senate, but a tie COULD still happen.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: November 04, 2014, 10:38:19 pm »

I just looked an electoral district map of NC. Seriously, who the hell thinks these districts are not gerrymandered like fuck?

The 12th District is about 10 miles wide and 75 miles long. I think they just said "let's connect all the black neighborhoods in central NC, so they won't interfere with our other elections".

EDIT: NC Senate race is tightening back up, as most of the remaining precincts are in the Charlotte and Greensboro areas, and Hagan has about a 2-1 advantage in votes in those areas. She's also winning Forsyth Co (Winston-Salem) which is a bit of surprise, since Forsyth tends to be the one Republican urban stronghold.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:40:50 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: November 04, 2014, 10:42:06 pm »

Washington Post says the GOP needs one more seat to have a Senate majority. That'll almost certainly be one of Alaska, NC, Iowa or VA. (Probably Alaska.) (Edit: Louisiana's probably going to flip, too- the 14% of Louisianans who voted for the diehard Tea Partier most certainly won't pick Landrieu over Cassidy.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:46:05 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:37 pm »

I just looked an electoral district map of NC. Seriously, who the hell thinks these districts are not gerrymandered like fuck?

The 12th District is about 10 miles wide and 75 miles long. I think they just said "let's connect all the black neighborhoods in central NC, so they won't interfere with our other elections".

Yeah, although CNN's magicwall thing: http://www.cnnmagicwall.com/#/coverage makes them all angular, you can still see how strung out that district is. Theres also district 1 and district 4.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »

I don't know about Alaska. They predicted Begich would lose the first time but here he is as the incumbent.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: November 04, 2014, 10:45:13 pm »

I think Iowa is safe.
NC is just too close to call. 50,000 vote gap, but still a lot of votes to be counted in urban centers.
VA is razor-close with Warner back on top at the moment by just 4,000 votes.
AK....fuck, who knows what those people will do. They elected Sarah Palin, for God's sake.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: November 04, 2014, 10:48:19 pm »

Yeah, although CNN's magicwall thing: http://www.cnnmagicwall.com/#/coverage makes them all angular, you can still see how strung out that district is. Theres also district 1 and district 4.
The 2013 redistricting was a masterpiece of political thuggery. That's why the truly crucial state-level elections are the decenary ones (2000, 2010, 2020, etc.) Control the legislature, you control the redistricting. Control the redistricting, you essentially get to shape the gameboard. And give your opponents the shit-end of the stick.

EDIT: You'd never know if from that map, but NC actually has more registered Democrats than Republicans. And yet we have 10 Republican House members and only 3 Democrats (2 of which are black and come from gerrymandered "majority-minority" districts).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:50:51 pm by RedKing »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:26 pm »

Alaska's weird, because it's got a small and very spread-out population. That means that polls are less accurate (they don't have as much data to work with) and a good ground game can mean a lot- and that's something the Democrats are usually quite good at doing. It'll probably flip, but you never know.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:51:37 pm by FearfulJesuit »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: November 04, 2014, 10:55:08 pm »

Ok, 92% of precincts in NC have reported in, and the gap is now 100,000 in favor of Tillis. :(

I don't quite understand where the hell all those extra GOP votes were coming from given her advantage in Charlotte and Greensboro, but whatever. All Heil Senator Thom Tillis. Now we have a matching pair of corporate shills in cheap suits and absolutely no real Senate representation. (Seriously.....Richard Burr is like the Senate equivalent of Clarence Thomas. I'm not sure if anybody's even *seen* Burr since the last election.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: November 04, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »

Speaking of gerrymandering, the LA (Los Angles for those not familiar with the acronym) area has a crapload of teeny tiny districts. Not even NYC has that many districts.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: November 04, 2014, 10:59:04 pm »

Roberts beating Orman in Kansas by nearly 7 percentage points, though with just under half of precincts reporting in.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: November 04, 2014, 11:00:38 pm »

Dammit, Story County, you unbelievable assholes, swing back to Braley. I busted my ass voting today in order to avoid exactly this situation. It was a surprisingly annoying ordeal!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 667