Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820763 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9300 on: November 04, 2014, 03:05:26 pm »

Obviously, you score the candidates relative to each other - the one you want to win most gets a 9, the one you want to win least gets a 0, and the rest are scored by comparison. If you're really concerned, just be sure to explain that to people.
[E]ven if you have to give everyone a different number you'd just give the 2-8 to random people nobody is going to vote for anyway. There will never be a situation where giving the guy you like second best a 2-8 unless a) you don't want your favourite to win, or b) he's the underdog and isn't going to win anyway.

Alternatively, if you honestly felt that that candidate was a 6, then you can't be that upset to see them get elected, now can you?
Yes you can and should be upset, because if it the race was close he might have won because you* gave him that 6 instead of a 0. Thus the system made your #1 candidate lose solely because you didn't game the system like everyone else probably did and definitely should.
*replace you with everyone who voted for him and honestly ranked their candidates.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. It just doesn't work. IRV is just a better version of this, since you can vote highly for someone you kinda like without risking getting them elected over the guy you really like.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: November 04, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »

I voted this past weekend, and I was shocked to actually stand in line for a good 20 minutes. At my previous polling place, I'd be in and out in no time. Given that this area is a liberal bastion (woohoo!) that's a good sign.

I think Tillis is going down in flames. Not that I'm thrilled about Hagan, but Tillis is just a godawful trainwreck of a pol. The one silver lining if he does get elected is that at least he'll be out of our state government. Not that we don't have a surplus of mixed nuts to replace him... :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9302 on: November 04, 2014, 03:09:01 pm »

IRV is also pretty good, and I'd be satisfied if we switched to it. Indeed, if there were an election between IRV, Score, and other systems using our current system, I might well vote for IRV if I thought score had too small a chance of winning. But then, that just illustrates how bad our current system is.

As for Score versus IRV, that's a complicated argument. I think this covers it pretty well.

and yeah, mcconnell looks like trouble. In googling him, I found this, which has an interesting app. I wonder if we can see any interesting patterns in the comments on it?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: November 04, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »

Maybe you guys could put the vote system stuff in another thread?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: November 04, 2014, 03:13:39 pm »

Tillis is not exactly that appealing, nor does he have all that many positions to begin with. Yeah, I'm willing to call it for Hagen, and we haven't even started counting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9305 on: November 04, 2014, 03:20:20 pm »

Yes you can and should be upset, because if it the race was close he might have won because you* gave him that 6 instead of a 0. Thus the system made your #1 candidate lose solely because you didn't game the system like everyone else probably did and definitely should.
*replace you with everyone who voted for him and honestly ranked their candidates.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. It just doesn't work. IRV is just a better version of this, since you can vote highly for someone you kinda like without risking getting them elected over the guy you really like.

So just tell everyone how to "game the system", and it all equals out. I mean, I don't think it's even gaming the system - it's just using the range given to express your opinion as best you can. You only have 10 numbers, so obviously you want to use those numbers to express the most nuance. I mean, I'd already outline how this works in my first post on the subject - it's a trivial problem. There's even a computer simulation demonstrating that it doesn't much matter.

As for IRV, this system has fewer quirks- in IRV, a candidate can be eliminated simply because everyone put him in the middle of their list, and no one put him at the top. Here, no such thing can happen.

edit: Yeah, we should probably make another thread if we really wish to discuss this.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: November 04, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »

The California senators aren't up for election this time around, but my congressional representative is and I'm voting against hunter as he's been in for too long.

No idea if I'll either vote for the republican governor contender or not, haven't seen any ads for either one.

Also, for some reason, the state assembly district that I'm voting for has two contenders who are both republican, I'll just vote the one who's not currently in office.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:29:38 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: November 04, 2014, 04:08:34 pm »

Tillis is not exactly that appealing, nor does he have all that many positions to begin with. Yeah, I'm willing to call it for Hagen, and we haven't even started counting.
I don't see how they can say he doesn't have a stance on education. After the whole teacher-raises-but-not-really thing and the flap over Common Core standards.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: November 04, 2014, 06:52:47 pm »

I can think of one possible advantage to a candidate scoring system like Angle describes, but it's on the radical side.  I doubt many will like it.

It would encourage voter honesty if there is a minimum average needed in order to be elected.  For example, if no candidate's final averaged score is above a 5, then they're eliminated, and the election is re-done.  This would give people a new incentive to vote honestly.  If someone doesn't genuinely like any of the candidates and only wants to prevent the greater evil, they have a way to meaningfully express this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: November 04, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »

Hagan's winning hands down. I'm surprised Pizza Guy didn't "siphon" more support from both of them, but that's what you get when your campaign ads are youtube only and your campaign platform is marilization of legajuana.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: November 04, 2014, 06:56:48 pm »

@SG: Thus setting the stage for the tale of the Ten Year Election leading up to the ultimate choice of Jim Crow, the Pigeon. Who was a pigeon. The 2-4 year period afterwards would end up being the best years Oregon ever experienced. Tragically, Jim's reign will be cut short three months before reelection by a cat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: November 04, 2014, 07:32:06 pm »

Mitch McConnell has officially won re-election and can "look forward" to two years of being John Boehner 2.0. Be careful what you wish for...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9312 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »

I voted! Much to the chagrin of the conservatives, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:06:25 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: November 04, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »

I hope Duncan Hunter gets replaced.

Other than governor, I tried to vote for whoever isn't the current holder of that office.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: November 04, 2014, 08:13:54 pm »

IN GEORGIA NEWS

Jason Carter and Nathan Deal are neck and neck (state governor)

I'm not sure about David Purdue and Michelle Nunn though
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 667