Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825716 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9105 on: October 28, 2014, 05:26:04 pm »

dictionaries will become mandatory. nothing else will change. except maybe our politicians vocabulary.
... wouldn't this be an improvement?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:36 pm »

Edit: Also, have bills be unable to be longer than the constitution.
This sounds good, but it's a bad idea. On the one hand, it probably improves throughput by getting stuff everyone agrees on through, and keeps things from getting unreadable piles of garbage. On the other, some plans actually do need to be pretty comprehensive in what they change, lest the half-measures just cause a fustercluck of incompatible assumptions.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »

What really needs to be done is to put heavy restrictions on how wide a scope a bill can have. There's a lot of congressfolk that are taking a lot of undeserved heat for voting against bills because they objected to some of the riders on it, and it is very common to attach very unpopular policies to "can't-fail" bills.

Edit: Just came across these, which might be interesting to some.

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/10/2014-campaign-whoppers/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/oct/24/9-biggest-whoppers-2014-campaign/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:47:12 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: October 28, 2014, 10:18:42 pm »

What really needs to be done is to put heavy restrictions on how wide a scope a bill can have. There's a lot of congressfolk that are taking a lot of undeserved heat for voting against bills because they objected to some of the riders on it, and it is very common to attach very unpopular policies to "can't-fail" bills.

Edit: Just came across these, which might be interesting to some.

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/10/2014-campaign-whoppers/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/oct/24/9-biggest-whoppers-2014-campaign/

Y'know, this highlights one of the things that irks me most about modern politics. Look at the range of terms used here in these articles: whoppers, distortions, inaccuracies...why doesn't anyone call them what they are? LIES. FUCKING LIES.

For example, when Duncan Hunter pulls some completely bogus claim out of his ass that "10 ISIS fighters have been apprehended at the Mexican border"...he's not "telling a whopper", HE'S A FUCKING LIAR.

Why is the word "lie" such a taboo word when it comes to politics?? "Telling a whopper" sounds harmless, like an old grandfatherly type talking about how he once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiis big. Call them what they are, people. FUCKING LIARS.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »

By the way, currently in North Carolina there is a referendum for an amendment that would "allow" accused criminals not facing the death penalty to waive their right to a fair trial. Yeah. The fuck. I voted against it, and so should any other NC forumites.

EDIT: Alright, to be a bit more fair, it is supposed to allow judge trials instead of giving you no trial, but both of those things are bad. Perhaps worse, the wording says nothing about allowing judge trials.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:28:54 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: October 28, 2014, 10:25:39 pm »

@RK, actually, I think what might be the issue with just calling the fucking liars fucking liars is slander/libel laws. Publicly calling someone a lying scumshit is something that can be legally complicated, iirc, whereas just saying they were mistaken, inaccurate, etc., etc., slips by civil suit happy assholes much more easily.

E: and @ MSH, can they even add that as an amendment? Isn't the right to a fair trial federal/constitutional level stuff?
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: October 28, 2014, 10:29:41 pm »

You can add anything to the state constitutions, they can just be superseded by the federal level.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: October 28, 2014, 10:36:35 pm »

By the way, currently in North Carolina there is a referendum for an amendment that would "allow" accused criminals not facing the death penalty to waive their right to a fair trial. Yeah. The fuck. I voted against it, and so should any other NC forumites.

EDIT: Alright, to be a bit more fair, it is supposed to allow judge trials instead of giving you no trial, but both of those things are bad. Perhaps worse, the wording says nothing about allowing judge trials.

As if plea bargains weren't bad enough.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »

... so it would be an entirely toothless amendment immediately overridden by the federal mandates related to the subject?

Though double checking it, it does look like fair trial is straight up constitutional. Looks like there's at least three constitutional amendments involving the subject, one of which (due process clause of the 14th) specifically applies it to states.

I think they literally can't waive their right to a fair trial, if I'm looking at this stuff correctly. State level amendment would mean precisely shit.

E: Though don't mistake me, it is still entirely bullshit. I'm just not entirely sure writing that into the state constitution would do anything.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:44:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:24 pm »

No, it will be applied as soon as it is passed. It would have to be challenged and overturned by a federal court. Until then, if you get charged and are "persuaded" to waive your right (or your lawyer does it for you, which they can) then tough luck for you.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:14 pm »

So it'd last however long it took to get squished in real court. Yeah, that's a bit of a piece of shit. What feckless twits are pushing that bullshit, anyway?
Ask not!
Ask!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: October 28, 2014, 10:51:47 pm »

it is supposed to allow judge trials instead of giving you no trial, but both of those things are bad.

judge trials
bad

* LordSlowpoke kicks door in

heard you were talking shit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:10 pm »

LSP, the subject is about criminal trials, not civil. Which, yeah, both judge and no trials in that case is kinda' fucking bad. Doubly so considering this is the states and being an ex-con completely screws you basically forever.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:49 pm »

Care to explain why you think judge trials are a good thing, or are you more concerned with being as quirky as possible?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: October 28, 2014, 10:57:31 pm »

There's an old English story I wish I could remember the name of, because it perfectly codifies why judge trials are bad things: to them, it's the same old criminal coming in day after day. The cynicism and blending of experience eliminates good judgement far more than any "easily manipulated 12 pack of plebs" could ever hope to.

Juries are the basis of all fair trials.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 667