Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825340 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8715 on: September 03, 2014, 07:55:19 am »

We have about as many rifles as we do handguns - roughly 115 million each, with most of the rest being shotguns.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:08:01 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:10 am »

In the long term, I'd actually be more wary of somebody forming an insurgency against the current government in USA.
It'll be easier than in normal countries, because the population is already armed to teeth.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: September 03, 2014, 10:41:20 am »

Yeah, but if things progress apace, by that point the local police would have sub-orbital killsats as part of their loadout and civilian insurgency would be dealt with via electric or kinetic death from on high. Or drone swarms or whatev'. Unless things go sincerely tits up, by the time genuine civilian insurgency is a possibility in the states autonomous tech -- drones, et al -- will have advanced to the point it wouldn't matter how many civilians with rifles you have (just like it barely matters now), the forces they'd be trying to work against would be able suppress them without meaningful effort.

Seriously, the future is not one where civilian firearms become more relevant.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:20 am »

I've gotta be honest, the Federal government implementing gun control worries me a whole lot less than State governments implementing it (which in turn worries me less than local governments, but I mention that only to complete the spectrum, as I don't think anybody's mad enough to think that's a good idea). Just basing this on the propensity for corruption and abuse that precedent seems to have set - however bad it is at the Federal level (and it's pretty bad), States are, at best, a crapshoot with a distribution centered on the Federal degrees of douchebaggery.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8719 on: September 03, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

Don't worry, an army capable of invading mainland USA would probably have enough artillery for all of them.
Then again, an army capable of invading mainland USA doesn't exist.
China + shovels = Asia gets bigger and by invading America a land war in super asia would begin.

Don't worry, advances in civilian defence drones are being made with incredible progress! The democracy shall be uphold by the vigilance of robotic guardians!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: September 03, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

Let's just pray the government doesn't develop inch high barrier technology.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:23 pm »

Yeah, but if things progress apace, by that point the local police would have sub-orbital killsats as part of their loadout and civilian insurgency would be dealt with via electric or kinetic death from on high. Or drone swarms or whatev'. Unless things go sincerely tits up, by the time genuine civilian insurgency is a possibility in the states autonomous tech -- drones, et al -- will have advanced to the point it wouldn't matter how many civilians with rifles you have (just like it barely matters now), the forces they'd be trying to work against would be able suppress them without meaningful effort.

People here in the U.S. having their friends and families get droned will make things worse, not better. Regardless of that, you always need boots on the ground to control an area, it's a fundamental fact of guerilla warfare.

Also, somebody has to operate the drones, and those people would be legitimate military targets.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8722 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00:11 pm »

Let's just pray the government doesn't develop inch high barrier technology.
Robot wars have taught me that there's nary a barrier that a flipper and fly wheel cannot cross. For freedom!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: September 03, 2014, 02:12:11 pm »

People here in the U.S. having their friends and families get droned will make things worse, not better. Regardless of that, you always need boots on the ground to control an area, it's a fundamental fact of guerrilla warfare. The owners of those boots are vulnerable to small-arms fire.

Furthermore, I have sincere doubts that the military would mindlessly obey orders like that. I'd bet money that significant numbers of officers and their units would refuse their orders, or even defect outright.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: September 03, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »

I'm... not sure why you copied your previous post like that, but regardless, who said anything about the military? I wouldn't really expect the military to get meaningfully involved in insurrection attempts in the future -- the chances of any not getting nipped in the bud (Probably violently, by overenthusiastic police) before they became much of an issue is pretty small. State/federal forces are already frankly terrifying in their capability and willingness to track and suppress civil disobedience, and that's without going full jackboot or working in the face of an actual violent insurrection attempt.

Seriously, when you've got cases where the local cops are better equipped than the national guard, and trending towards even heavier*, and showing quite a large amount of willingness on the national scale to do exactly the things along the lines being discussed, the military's involvement is arguably of secondary concern. Even if they did get involved, it would be defecting military (and, far more importantly, their subsequently stolen hardware) that made the difference -- not civilian gun ownership.

Though again, future being what it probably is, by the time something like a civil insurrection in the USA is even the most remote of possibilities, jackboot forces would likely only need a very small portion of loyal forces (so long as they maintain control of the hardware, which hey, that's what security tech and whatnot is for) to maintain ground control. Drones are a helluva thing already, never mind what's almost certainly coming in the future.

It's just... seriously. Civilian firearms stopped being able to meaningfully do anything against even a halfhearted attempt at full blown oppression years ago, and they're becoming more trivialized by the day. The whole "defense against tyranny" aspect of gun ownership is a joke, and honestly in kinda' bad taste. People who think that's actually going to make a difference if tyranny happens (well, happens more, anyway) are more likely to make poor decisions regarding preventing it from happening, at least from what I've seen.

*As per acquisition attempts re: current drones and heavy equipment, never mind whatever the future brings -- I know we've got legged ground drones already working pretty well (have since a few years back, at least), and they're already producing drones specifically designed to handle civil disturbance. Another decade or three and stuff specifically designed to slice through crowds and invade homes is incredibly damn likely, as is their introduction into normal police use to the extent drones being used on civilians don't raise many eyebrows.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8725 on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »

It's just... seriously. Civilian firearms stopped being able to meaningfully do anything against even a halfhearted attempt at full blown oppression years ago, and they're becoming more trivialized by the day. The whole "defense against tyranny" aspect of gun ownership is a joke, and honestly in kinda' bad taste. People who think that's actually going to make a difference if tyranny happens (well, happens more, anyway) are more likely to make poor decisions regarding preventing it from happening, at least from what I've seen.
1. Asymmetric warfare.
2. Suicide.
3. Fleeing.
The three are enabled by civilian arms.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: September 03, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »

If you expect much of 1 to be able to happen in the US, and even more, for it to make a difference, I have many bridges to sell you. It takes a hell of a lot more than just having firearms to pull off asymmetric warfare, and a junkload beyond that to actually get anything done with it.

Points on 2 and 3, though. I figure we'd be able to OD en masse about as as easily for the suicide option, though. Possibly even cost less.
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: September 03, 2014, 02:51:40 pm »

Points on 2 and 3, though. I figure we'd be able to OD en masse about as as easily for the suicide option, though. Possibly even cost less.

I dunno about you, but I don't think I'd particularly care how much the bullet I shoot myself with cost. For fleeing though, I would definitely consider it. If only because of the need to balance the higher caliber round I would need to cause damage to someone in body armor with the amount of ammunition I could buy/carry.

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8728 on: September 03, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

Honestly, I really hope things don't get anywhere near that bad. We're only a little ways away from turning into Afghanistan if that happens.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8729 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »

If you expect much of 1 to be able to happen in the US, and even more, for it to make a difference, I have many bridges to sell you. It takes a hell of a lot more than just having firearms to pull off asymmetric warfare, and a junkload beyond that to actually get anything done with it.
1. There are enough people with understandings of social media, social engineering and more than enough people preparing for such scenarios for them to already make a difference. The only thing you truly need is the will and weapons to fight, as shown by successful and failed insurgencies. Trying to reason supposed powerlessness by volunteering on yourself definite powerlessness is a strange line of reasoning, and very pessimistic.
2. It'd cost you half a dollar to out yourself with an average bullet, no method of suicide is easier and trying to OD through pills is a lot more riskier.
3. Fleeing is fleeing.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 667