Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819194 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7425 on: June 27, 2014, 07:56:21 am »

Am I the only one who finds this silly on the basis that appealing to one demographic can't compare to, well, all of them?

Am I the only one that finds that parsing of words is a failure of comprehension for statements containing them?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: June 27, 2014, 10:20:10 am »

I really don't see Biden running, or if he does, having a real chance of winning. Both sides have used him as a punch line since the first term.
If Biden runs then he can't be VP for life anymore, so he can't run, as he has found his one true position and that position is VP for life. I hope he stays there forever.

Also, Warren isn't going to run. She's not that stupid. She might run eventually, but she's not going to run this election.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: June 27, 2014, 10:26:29 am »

Couldn't she do a "training run" now, to get more name recognition and stuff? We her eyes on 2020?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: June 27, 2014, 10:39:30 am »

Couldn't she do a "training run" now, to get more name recognition and stuff? We her eyes on 2020?

People aren't generally keen on failures, and doing a "training run" means people will think she's a failure, an also-ran. Assuming she gets the nomination (otherwise people won't care).

She's also still a freshmen senator, and if she doesn't want to face the same sort of hardline opposition Obama did, spending some time building connections and influence there before running would be a smart idea.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:41:27 am by GlyphGryph »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:38 am »

And running against a battle hardened Clinton would be tough.

Is there a similar list somewhere of possible republican candidates, or are they too numerous to really count?

I may be democrat leaning, but I would like the Republicans to be able to field a sane candidate, that is, one who isn't eliteist like Romney or spouts right wing crap like Santorum or one of those Tea Party failures. Though if the Tea Party can manage to come up with a sane candidate, great for them.

Or am I asking too much of the Republicans?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: June 27, 2014, 10:54:36 am »

Candidates do practice runs for president all the time.  Establishing that you can competently manage a campaign is vital to winning the "shadow primary".  Although doing a practice campaign isn't the only way to do it, it is the best.  Failure in a bid is only a problem if you lose in the general or the failure of the primary indicates some sort of incompetence.  I know that a candidate for a congressional election I volunteered for had a very explicit plan of first doing a dry run to prove competence and then running for real the second time after showing potential big money donors that he was worth their donations.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: June 27, 2014, 11:06:23 am »

People aren't generally keen on failures, and doing a "training run" means people will think she's a failure, an also-ran. Assuming she gets the nomination (otherwise people won't care).

It's pretty standard for potential future candidates to make such bids. Especially if they have significant ideological differences to the front runners. I mean, that was Ron Paul's whole shtick in '08 and '12. Same for Kucinich on the Democratic side in '08. You usually get a bunch of candidates who have no chance of even making a showing, but who run the early primaries/caucuses. Given Warren is already up there with Biden in early polling I'd say she has a chance of hanging on for a while longer than most.

More significant for me are the comparisons to John Edwards, who literally dragged the field left ahead of the 2008 primaries (including shifting Clinton by 18 points on the On The Issues measure). Edwards is gone, but Warren has the populist cred to fill a similar role.

Also worth noting her age. She is only two years younger than Clinton and there are suggestions that Clinton's age is already a factor (admittedly combined with her recent health issues). She might even see this campaign as her only chance to make a play on the national level.

Is there a similar list somewhere of possible republican candidates, or are they too numerous to really count?
This is pretty comprehensive, but we are talking about a party that made Sarah Palin their VP candidate in '08, so I wouldn't put it past them to have a couple surprises. My understanding is that Chris Christie, Rand Paul and Jeb Bush have all performed well in early polling, but well here means barely double digits, with a host of lower name recognition candidates sitting at 5-9% behind them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: June 27, 2014, 11:48:08 am »

On that site (the first link), they have Ben Affleck as a potential candidate, lol....

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: June 27, 2014, 11:51:49 am »

On that site (the first link), they have Ben Affleck as a potential candidate, lol....
Like I said, pretty comprehensive. Although I think Ben Stein as a candidate is more laughable.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: June 27, 2014, 12:02:09 pm »

They also have Barbara Boxer, but she is older than Biden by two years.

Dan Malloy running would be an unique and inspirational candidate.

Theres also a Jay Nixon, any relation to Richard Nixon? The name connection with that will probably only be an issue with older voters, if it'll even BE an issue.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:22:21 pm by palsch »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: June 27, 2014, 12:39:04 pm »

Unrelated; A response to Coulter portraying football (soccer) as un-American highlighting why it's the perfect free-market sport.
The comments there led to me learning of the existence of Pasuckuakohowog. Which, you know what? Screw football, the other football, baseball, basketball, golf... all of it. This nation needs to return to the pasuwreckface game. Any game that includes more players than the population of town I grew up in, in a single game, cannot be anything but win.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: June 27, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »

I would play if we called it footballwreckface.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:07 pm »

Looking at those maps mainiac put out.....fuck. It's all going to come down to Ohio again, isn't it?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: June 27, 2014, 03:04:50 pm »

After each match there would be a large celebratory feast, including both teams.
Any sport that ends in mass-cannibalism must be amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 667