Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820036 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6795 on: May 23, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »

"What I meant was, we couldn't have made my favorite mac and cheese without food stamps. There's just something in that government cheese that you can't find anywhere else..."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: May 23, 2014, 02:01:39 pm »

Woah, woah. Hold up. The gov's providing mac and cheese? I guess from schools, maybe, but outside of that? Because damn. To hell with food stamps, gimme' th'mac-dole. What program did these folks exploit to get M&C from the gov' instead of just buying it with tax money?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: May 23, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »

No, no, no...they're providing just the cheese. It took that special drive and determination to turn it INTO mac and cheese.

See, you welfare queens want the government to come in and make your mac and cheese for you. A *real* American takes the subsidized cheese and charity macaroni and combines them with the sweat of his brow and the toil of his stirring arm to produce Freedom Mac.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: May 27, 2014, 04:00:28 am »

I thought I'd leave this here as I didn't see another thread it might go in:

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2014/5/19/could-this-a-miracleadrughelpmillionsofamericanaddicts.html

Spoiler: From the article (click to show/hide)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: May 27, 2014, 04:09:44 am »

Ibogaine is awesome. And the abuse potential is close to zero. Goddamn DEA nitwits.
Further information, and some esperience reports.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »

Time for MSH to give you all interesting polling data.

Americans continue to massively over-report their attendance of religious services, most common among the unaffiliated. A little less than half of all Americans seldom or never attend religious services in reality. (Infographic Version)

A very fabulous LGBT survey. If you're looking for some sort of data on that, it is probably in here. (It even has numbers for the percentage of people who believe AIDS is God's wrath: 14% in 2014, 36% in 1992.)

Speaking of that, approval of adoption by gay couples is now a strong majority, outpacing the acceptance of Same-Sex Marriage. Looks like the predictions of SSM being allowed but adoption being rejected are dead in the water.

The long-standing stranglehold of conservative thought is weakening to a critical point on social issues and to a lesser extent on economic issues. The social one is the critical point, however. While social conservatism has had an expiration date for a while now, it is beginning to look like it might suffer full viability failure in the near future.

And, finally, the most interesting set of data for the time being, the moral acceptability chart. Notable shifts towards acceptance include: Birth Control (90%), Divorce (69%), Sex without Marriage (66%), Children without Marriage (58%), Gay or Lesbian relations (58%), Doctor-assisted Suicide (52%), Abortion (42%), Animal Cloning (32%), Suicide in general (19%), Polygamy (14%), and Human Cloning (13%). Cheating on your spouse remains the most morally opposed item commonly included on these lists, at 7% approval.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:33:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: May 30, 2014, 05:06:44 pm »

The US house has passed a bill to curtail the ability for the federal government to prosecute medical marijuana in states that allow it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:18 am »

The Seattle City Council has approved a $15 minimum wage.

I'm skeptical, in all honesty. A higher minimum wage would definitely be a good thing, but a lot of it would impact jobs like retail checkout drones who haven't really been seeing the productivity gains of the last few decades, and Seattle is a small area, so businesses will start decamping to nearby municipalities with the standard minimum wage, especially small ones and start-ups. All this will do is give the right more ammo on the minimum wage debate.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: June 03, 2014, 09:45:34 am »

Notable shifts towards acceptance include:   ...Suicide in general (19%)...

This can't be good.
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: June 03, 2014, 09:51:02 am »

This can't be good.

I'm surprised it's that low actually. I thought only Catholics were morally apposed to suicide.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: June 03, 2014, 10:00:46 am »

This can't be good.
I don't think it's saying that 19% of people consider suicide a good thing, only that it's not in the "that person is damned to hell for eternity for what they did and deserves no sympathy" mode anymore.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:15 am »

Suicide is a little tricky. On the one hand, I'm all for people having personal autonomy over their lives and bodies, and being able to end your life is the culmination of that. On the other hand, in my personal opinion suicidal thoughts are a sign of some sort of mental imbalance or disorder, or psychological depression of some sort, which should be looked after. And someone who is suicidal may not be in any position to seek the help that would aid in that. So it's a tough call.

This doesn't consider suicide because of pain with no end in sight, of course.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: June 03, 2014, 10:19:19 am »

I'm certainly glad to hear that people are slightly less "suicide is totally evil" or whatever. I don't think that society should totally shine on it, but more acceptance to when people do chose it would be nice. I guess that might not be what that statistic is about, but it's a step forward.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: June 03, 2014, 10:53:17 am »

The Seattle City Council has approved a $15 minimum wage.

I'm skeptical, in all honesty. A higher minimum wage would definitely be a good thing, but a lot of it would impact jobs like retail checkout drones who haven't really been seeing the productivity gains of the last few decades, and Seattle is a small area, so businesses will start decamping to nearby municipalities with the standard minimum wage, especially small ones and start-ups. All this will do is give the right more ammo on the minimum wage debate.

I'm honestly not sure how true this is, or if its a bad thing - Businesses that are in the Seattle area are already paying a ton more in rent and other costs for being there, and they've decided its worth it. If they leave, they'll probably be replaced by other businesses that were already looking to move in. A lot of these businesses can't move because Seattle is where their customers are, and most of the rest minimum wage employees make up such a small portion of their costs that this still isn't likely to change.

On the other hand, higher minimum wage means a lot more people working in Seattle are suddenly going to have a disposable income that isn't just living paycheck to paycheck. Businesses in Seattle that aren't stupid are going to take advantage of this, and probably see an uptick in business.

If it was some podunk town with a min-wage factory, yeah, I could see it doing a lot of damage... but not in a place like Seattle, where super cheap labour prices are most definitely NOT one of things that attracts businesses to do business there. Anyone who is that cost-conscious already moved away from Seattle a long time ago.

Also, Seattle startups tend to have salaried employees and partners as their major employees, there will be a minor increase in service costs but honestly I doubt it will change anyone's decision on where to locate.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:55:32 am by GlyphGryph »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: June 03, 2014, 10:57:38 am »

While it would probably hurt Seattle less than a one-factory town, it's still going to hurt some because it's easier to move out of Seattle than out of the US for example. I think the pro are going to outweigh the con though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 667