Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820044 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6780 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:32 pm »

EDIT: Sorry, sorry, I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in any more forum debates.  Just too many walls of text.  Disregard the little wall that used to be here. ^_^
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:00:07 am by Culise »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: May 23, 2014, 01:12:50 am »

A good foundation can support strong walls.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: May 23, 2014, 09:24:01 am »

You're saying shale frackers who do huge amounts of damage to environments, forcing people out of livable lands in Montana through Ohio were overstating the usefulness of their programs, even being the cause for an upswing in earthquakes, are also lying about the reserve of oil there to bolster opinion of an inherently short-sighted and hurtful energy program?

Yeah, kinda figured. Nice to see someone is actually wiling to expose these facts too. Y'know, until an Jreengus accident occurs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:56:22 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: May 23, 2014, 09:48:29 am »

._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: May 23, 2014, 10:11:46 am »

Because fracking was a new technology, so the responsible agencies followed corporate information who, apparently just used the estimations for conventional technology. However, now that we have actual data, it turns out that were a conventional well has a lifetime of about 60 years or more*, fracking wells operate for about a year or 2, before running dry.

This is quite significant. If this trend holds true for all other shale and gas reserves, that means that US shale gas is going to peak next year, and oil somewhere between 2015-2017. Which pretty much means that US energy independence is off the table for the near future.

*Depends on the field, and the technology.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: May 23, 2014, 10:40:09 am »

Funny thing is, I've heard this alot.. mostly from people on message boards for shale stocks. About how even the best lands in Montana and Dakota really were just smoke and mirrors, mostly for companies and municipalities to sell off lands at exorbitant prices to small explorer after small explorer. I'm tempted to look at the boards for all the shale gas plays I've made to see the absolute chaos that is probably occurring. 'To the moon' 'we've got more oil than Saudi Arabia' 'billions of oil under Montana' etc etc stories are basically imploding.

Note: This is pretty great news for non-shale gas companies. Shale was considered the big oil killer for a while and hurt their future predictions..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:41:43 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: May 23, 2014, 10:48:50 am »

Because fracking was a new technology, so the responsible agencies followed corporate information who, apparently just used the estimations for conventional technology. However, now that we have actual data, it turns out that were a conventional well has a lifetime of about 60 years or more*, fracking wells operate for about a year or 2, before running dry.

This is quite significant. If this trend holds true for all other shale and gas reserves, that means that US shale gas is going to peak next year, and oil somewhere between 2015-2017. Which pretty much means that US energy independence is off the table for the near future.

*Depends on the field, and the technology.

Unless they actually let the pipeline from Alberta through. Which they won't because STAND WITH RANDY STAND WITH RANDY HE HAS THE RIGHT TO COST THE NATION THOUSANDS OF JOBS AND ENERGY INDEPENDANCE BECAUSE HE WANTS TO HAVE A FULL ACRE OF GRASS FOR CATTLE GRAZING IN THE WAY OF THE PIPELINE

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:41 am »

It all depends on wherether or not future production follows the new estimates, or the old.

Basically, the oil is still there, it's just considered non-recoverable with current technology.

Unless they actually let the pipeline from Alberta through.

U.S. energy independence relates to the goal of reducing the U.S. imports of oil and other foreign sources of energy.

Last time I checked, Alberta was still part of Canada.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: May 23, 2014, 11:15:21 am »

It all depends on wherether or not future production follows the new estimates, or the old.

Basically, the oil is still there, it's just considered non-recoverable with current technology.

Unless they actually let the pipeline from Alberta through.

U.S. energy independence relates to the goal of reducing the U.S. imports of oil and other foreign sources of energy.

Last time I checked, Alberta was still part of Canada.

It just needs to be liberated. Freedom incoming!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: May 23, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »

What I love is that the government regulators outsourced their report to a firm which then just asked the oil industry for the numbers and presented that as original work.

When people do this shit in college, they get expelled.
When people do this shit in real life, they get fat bonuses for it.

If I was the head of that regulatory agency, I'd be filing a lawsuit for ALL the money back spent on that report. Of course, if I was the head of that agency, I'd probably be getting a blowjob from the oil lobbyists while an intern works the shaft with $1000 bills. So maybe I wouldn't.

I'm sorely tempted to send a copy of this article to our entire state legislature, since we're poised to start approving fracking permits BEFORE the actual regulations have been passed. Because, y'know.....why wait for the science to be in? That's just crazy talk.

Unless we're talking climate change, in which case we need to wait until ALL the science is. ALL of it. So....maybe around the heat death of the universe, or at least the extinction of any life sentient enough to do science.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »

http://www.readingisforsnobs.com/2014/05/welfare-recipient-ben-carson-complains.html

"I was on food stamps and welfare and did anybody help me out? No."

When you rob someone of their incentive to go out there and improve themselves, you are not doing them any favors. When you take somebody and pat them on the head and say, ‘There, there, you poor little thing. … Let me give you housing subsidies, let me give you free health care because you can’t do that.’ What would be much more empowering is to use our intellect and our resources to give those people a way up and out.”
[...]
    No doubt, Mother Carson deserves tremendous credit, but – in the words of a political sound bite from the last presidential election – she didn’t do it alone. Carson, in his book, tells how his grades improved tremendously when a government program provided him with free eyeglasses because he could barely see. Not only that, in “Gifted Hands” we read this nugget: “By the time I reached ninth grade, mother had made such strides that she received nothing but food stamps. She couldn’t have provided for us and kept up the house without that subsidy.”
[...]
    It’s hard not to see Carson’s own upbringing coming into view here. He grew up in meager surroundings in Detroit and Boston, in a family that made use of public assistance programs like food stamps. The culture was different then, Carson insists. “I think there was a time when people were not proud of taking handouts,” he said. “There were more people who did have that drive and determination. You do what you have to do."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: May 23, 2014, 12:26:05 pm »

So....conservative lying hypocrite is a lying hypocrite? And nobody on his side will notice? *shrug*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: May 23, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »

"Did food stamps allow me to achieve my dream?” He laughed. “Of course not.”

Directly contradicting what he said in his book:

He writes elsewhere, “As I’ve said, we received food stamps and couldn’t have made it without them.”

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: May 23, 2014, 12:59:40 pm »

Now, let's be fair here. Technically, if "it" in the second paragraph doesn't refer to his dream, it's not contradictory. What if he was talking about his favorite childhood recipe? Please don't think I'm serious
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 667