Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820104 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #630 on: March 20, 2013, 02:02:56 pm »

Here is some honest advice Republicans: Tell your profiteers to shut the hell up and get out of politics. If Michigan's Governor manages to turn around Detroit and not F it up with his crazy manager scheme, look to him and, off the top of my head, Chris Christie because he seems like an honest fellow open to compromise.

I find it fun that a flagship Republican governor implements the most interventionist and invasive programs to 'revitalize' his state's economy that he's helped to rebuild with all those other free-market measures he's adopted [he hasn't]. Snyder is a fascist. Not a real Republican.

I mostly only mention him because it will take great ability to make it work without corruption ruining whatever positive aspects, and more importantly to reverse it to a less 'emergency' state afterwards when possible. Thus if it works he might be a good choice. It very well may not end up well for anyone but the persons on the Gov's team (and their affiliates), to be honest, but I can only hope they will surprise me by not looting and pillaging.

Then I read this (of which I am unsure if the Governor or his proposed manager has or will have any part in:

http://birmingham.patch.com/articles/birmingham-developer-wants-to-buy-belle-isle-for-1-billion

My opinion is that selling land to billionaires to establish their own city-state is probably not in the public's best interest, no matter what the price may be.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:18:10 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 20, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »

It seems like an alright idea until you realize that he's turning off democracy for those areas for an unspecified [see: Possibly unlimited] amount of time because in Snyder's mind a democratically elected legislature cannot and will not balance budgets [Read: The people cannot manage their own lands, so let's appoint my buddy lawyer to do it]. That is a fascist's mindset if I've ever heard of one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:17:00 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #632 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:48 pm »

They plan to charge everyone a $300k citizenship fee. I guess the non-citizens that they employ wont be getting any of those services, rights or respect that that buys.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »

Meh. Sell it to them, wait for them to move in, then call out the Michigan National Guard, invade and "nationalize" all the assets and wealth.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
YOURE WELCOME

Alternately, allow all the Randists to build their utopia, then blow up all the access bridges and watch it crumble and burn when their groundskeepers, maids, etc. can't make it. Televise it as an example to others so that smug Objectivists can finally be told to shut the hell up.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 20, 2013, 02:43:04 pm »

They plan to charge everyone a $300k citizenship fee. I guess the non-citizens that they employ wont be getting any of those services, rights or respect that that buys.

I do wonder about that. How many millionaires do they think would actually want to live there? It's not like there are all that many in the country, and I know that if I had enough money to afford that Citizenship fee I certainly wouldn't waste it by living there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 20, 2013, 02:57:21 pm »

*Ahem*

January 16, 2013

That's the date of that article, and in it it says the guy was gonna request the sale on Jan 21. Given we haven't heard of this until now, I'm guessing he was laughed out of the room
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 20, 2013, 03:02:54 pm »

I looked it up, couldn't find any new updates beyond February 1st, and that was just talking about it, not anything recent.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 20, 2013, 03:18:07 pm »

Damn. And here I was so looking forward to using that Bob the Angry Flower cartoon.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

Meh. Sell it to them, wait for them to move in, then call out the Michigan National Guard, invade and "nationalize" all the assets and wealth.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
YOURE WELCOME

Alternately, allow all the Randists to build their utopia, then blow up all the access bridges and watch it crumble and burn when their groundskeepers, maids, etc. can't make it. Televise it as an example to others so that smug Objectivists can finally be told to shut the hell up.

Indeed. Though I would hesitate to trumpet such as an option so as to minimize preparedness on their part (liberationalist rich guy = maybe lots of guns). Though I understand desiring the discipline of government troops, a citizen raid (a viking party) would be my preferred aggressor to an illegitimate sovereign nation of this type. With a good leader team and a threat of harsh prosecution for acts causing bodily harm when not defending one's health or others', I think it would be a possibility without causing a government legal problems. The question would be whether there are international rules on that sort of thing or not.

Yeah, I saw it on the Daily Show, so if they were late to pick it up so was I. I didn't hear anything about it in the local newspaper, but I also don't read the Detroit newspapers often. However if that's the kind of idea they have to 'fix' Detroit, it's very unfortunate.

What they ought to do is invest in capital such as machinery to plug gaps in the market's infrastructure. For example, if a county has a lot of underutilized farmland, they ought to invest in agriculture capital. I'd start by sending out a questionnaire to landowners about whether or not they would cultivate their land if they had access to county machinery. Then, if so, I would give them the option of taking machinery out of a county pool. If they themselves are unable or unwilling to work, but would still utilize their land, I would send out a workteam with the machinery and take a percentage of output in exchange. That's practically something from nothing so it would be hard to argue against it, and it would put people to work besides.

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »

Just thought I should pop in to post that Colorado has passed 3 gun laws, limiting magazines to 15 rounds, having universal background checks, and making gun buyers pay for said checks.

Additionally, though on a more minor note, Colorado's Executive Director of Prisons is dead.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 20, 2013, 05:32:42 pm »

15 rounds? That is the most hilariously ineffective thing I have ever heard.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 20, 2013, 06:11:06 pm »

Just thought I should pop in to post that Colorado has passed 3 gun laws, limiting magazines to 15 rounds, having universal background checks, and making gun buyers pay for said checks.

Additionally, though on a more minor note, Colorado's Executive Director of Prisons is dead.

I wonder if he was a gun control supporter.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 20, 2013, 06:18:36 pm »

15 rounds? That is the most hilariously ineffective thing I have ever heard.

I think the logic is that it's not a real hindrance to a sport shooter, but would slow down someone trying to go on a rampage a bit by making them change out magazines more often which gives people time to flee.

I have no idea if that works in practice, but that's the reasoning I heard at one point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »

On the Belle island guy, I want point out a few things. A) When they say "the one percent" that means anyone earning over, what, 560,000 dollars? That is at least enough to afford citizenship. The US population is 300,000,000. Therefore, there are at least 3 million millionaires. Presumbably, assuming they are half liberal and half conservative (By no means guarenteed, given rich people) that is over 1.5 million people who would want to join.

B) it would be a shame if something happened to all those rich folks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 20, 2013, 06:53:32 pm »

On the Belle island guy, I want point out a few things. A) When they say "the one percent" that means anyone earning over, what, 560,000 dollars? That is at least enough to afford citizenship. The US population is 300,000,000. Therefore, there are at least 3 million millionaires. Presumbably, assuming they are half liberal and half conservative (By no means guarenteed, given rich people) that is over 1.5 million people who would want to join.

B) it would be a shame if something happened to all those rich folks.

No, that's at most 3 million people who could want to join. Nothing says how many of them would want to move to such a place, let alone pay $300k for the privilege of living there on top of whatever the living costs of actually moving there would entail.

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 667