Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820231 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #6270 on: March 27, 2014, 01:40:20 pm »

Cause you know how black people are....

Stereotypical?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: March 27, 2014, 01:51:30 pm »

I think one of the important differences is that the European road network hasn't been updated that much since the romans, so blocking something tends to have more impact.
Well, at point it has been upgraded, but there never have been major redesigns. So city centers are usually quite chaotic and traffic disasters, thought a bit more charming than the straight grid you find in American cities.

Anyway, to put numbers in comparison, a week long EU meeting costs only 500 000 euros in security, rather than the 10 million of the Obama visit.

Anyway, it could've been worse. They wanted to shut down the roads for 2 hours before, and 2 hours after he passed by. ((FYI, in decent traffic situations, that's enough time for a cross country trip.))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:53:11 pm by 10ebbor10 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:06 pm »

Anyway, it could've been worse. They wanted to shut down the roads for 2 hours before, and 2 hours after he passed by. ((FYI, in decent traffic situations, that's enough time for a cross country trip.))
I'd blame that one on the fact that the US is so much bigger than many other countries. It always shocked our exchange students to learn that our state was nearly as big as their country was and that in the time that it took us to drive to school in the morning you could cross a sizeable portion of their country; I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite effect would lead to US security asking for time/area requests that would seem huge to most European countries.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: March 27, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »

I'd blame that one on the fact that the US is so much bigger than many other countries. It always shocked our exchange students to learn that our state was nearly as big as their country was and that in the time that it took us to drive to school in the morning you could cross a sizeable portion of their country; I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite effect would lead to US security asking for time/area requests that would seem huge to most European countries.
That always shocked some of our international guests as well (at least the ones not from places like Russia or China, which also have huge tracts of land). I would always take the opportunity to point out that America is in many ways 50 countries stuck with each other. No matter how hard we try to convince some to leave (I'm looking at you, Texas). Or how much we try to drown some in the bathtub (*cough* New Jersey *cough*).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: March 27, 2014, 03:02:21 pm »

That always shocked some of our international guests as well (at least the ones not from places like Russia or China, which also have huge tracts of land). I would always take the opportunity to point out that America is in many ways 50 countries stuck with each other. No matter how hard we try to convince some to leave (I'm looking at you, Texas). Or how much we try to drown some in the bathtub (*cough* New Jersey *cough*).

I resent the implication that you count Idaho as equal to... well pretty much anything really.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: March 27, 2014, 03:03:10 pm »

How do we even still have Rhode Island? Isn't there some rule or something they're violating by now?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: March 27, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »

What rule would we possibly be violating? Being too awesome?

The better questioning is why we have places like California, which are way, way too big to be a single state.

Also, we're a bigger state than Montana, Delaware, South Dakota, Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming in every way that actually matters. :D

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:09 pm »

Redking Be nice, that bathtub doesn't desire to have New jersey touch it! Also on topic a lot of our school's foreign students got surprised on independent our states are and how much time it took to cross our state she mentioned she could have went to and from one end of her country and back in the time it took use to go down state.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: March 27, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »

Why do we keep Canada around?  Shouldn't we have kicked them out of the country already?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: March 27, 2014, 03:44:02 pm »

* Descan has an aneurysm.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: March 27, 2014, 03:47:42 pm »

Why do we keep Canada around?  Shouldn't we have kicked them out of the country already?
Because hats are stylish.  ^_^

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:36 pm »

I'm surprised people live in Canada. Nice apartments above meth labs tend not to do well.

Joking, of course. America's a crack den :P

Now, now, give America credit. We have a wide and diverse drug culture that embraces substance abusers of all types!

(By embrace I mean locks up in prison for long periods of time. Unless you're a celebrity, or rich, of course)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: March 27, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »

This is why I don't support gun control.

Because an obscure politician I would bet money you have never heard of before today was corrupt?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 667