Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819836 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #6165 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:28 pm »

That's how it works, though. You can gain a reputation and then do nothing with the rest of your life, and your obit will carry that rep. But if you gain one rep early in life and then turn it around, people are only gonna remember the most recent stuff.

Plus, if someone hands a homeless guy a sandwich and then kicks a puppy so hard it bursts into several pieces, I'm not going to remember him as a provider of sandwiches.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: March 20, 2014, 06:48:08 pm »

Given that the WBC thrives on controversy and notoriety, I imagine they're probably wanting people to picket the funeral. Why announce it to the press otherwise?

I'm all for letting his death go by in unremarked obscurity. Seems fitting.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: March 20, 2014, 06:49:15 pm »

To be fair it's less one-sided than sandwich and animal cruelty. A better comparison would be legitimately saving dozens and dozens of puppies from being raised as fight dogs, then later taking up professional dog fighting.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: March 20, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »

That's how it works, though. You can gain a reputation and then do nothing with the rest of your life, and your obit will carry that rep. But if you gain one rep early in life and then turn it around, people are only gonna remember the most recent stuff.

Plus, if someone hands a homeless guy a sandwich and then kicks a puppy so hard it bursts into several pieces, I'm not going to remember him as a provider of sandwiches.
Even if they're really delicious sandwiches? :P

I'm just saying that dying wasn't the best thing he's ever done.  Maybe top two, if you lump all his early civil rights work together.  ^_^

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: March 20, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »

I wonder if some of his people left the fold because his views weren't extreme enough?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: March 20, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »

I didn't say it was the best thing he has done, but the best he could do.

Then I realised that by that, I meant 'the best thing he could do realistically'.

It would have been better for him to get rid of the church and stop being who he was, but that was both incredibly unrealistic, and is too late to happen.
Pretty much this. Not the high point of his entire life, but the best direction he could really take it from where it was.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: March 20, 2014, 07:08:06 pm »

Any loss of human life is tragic, but we can still rejoice in the positive aspects of this.

Let's hope he doesn't get replaced by someone even more crazy.
Unfortunately, I'm confident he raised at least one of his sons to be that someone.
I'm betting on daughter Shirley, personally. Though that's mostly because she's the only other Phelps I ever see mentioned in the news.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:07 pm »

To be fair it's less one-sided than sandwich and animal cruelty. A better comparison would be legitimately saving dozens and dozens of puppies from being raised as fight dogs, then later taking up professional dog fighting.
Or cock-fighting. I don't think the WBC, for all its faults, was particularly racist.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: March 20, 2014, 07:11:03 pm »

Or cock-fighting. I don't think the WBC, for all its faults, was particularly racist.
Yeah, sure. There's too much symmetry in my original analogy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »

I don't think the WBC, for all its faults, was particularly racist.
They were pretty highly antisemitic.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: March 20, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »

Is downplaying the unpleasantness of the Confederate cause a common thing in the US? I have a "massive_cock" and a "nun_rapist" disagreeing with me on whether or not "they fought for slavery" when I answered someone's question on why they were considered "bad". It reminds me of what is (or hopefully, was) going on in the Ukraine thread.

I'm also wondering why anyone would pick usernames like that, but that's not really relevant to the thread.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »

I wonder if the latter troll is a nun who rapes, or a raper of nuns? The ambiguity makes the latter handle much more clever than the former.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »

Is downplaying the unpleasantness of the Confederate cause a common thing in the US? I have a "massive_cock" and a "nun_rapist" disagreeing with me on whether or not "they fought for slavery" when I answered someone's question on why they were considered "bad". It reminds me of what is (or hopefully, was) going on in the Ukraine thread.

I'm also wondering why anyone would pick usernames like that, but that's not really relevant to the thread.
The Confederacy has been, from the beginning, a symbol of the romantic past, and the "leave us the fuck alone" aspect of the Cause is the primary thing that they're remembered for, particularly since the vast majority of Confederate troops didn't own slaves, never had owned slaves, and never would own slaves.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: March 20, 2014, 07:31:17 pm »

The Confederacy has been, from the beginning, a symbol of the romantic past, and the "leave us the fuck alone" aspect of the Cause is the primary thing that they're remembered for, particularly since the vast majority of Confederate troops didn't own slaves, never had owned slaves, and never would own slaves.
Well, unless you come from a Union state. Then, it's more of a "rich forcing the poor to fight for them," and "rich trying to stay rich by exploiting everyone, everything, and legal loopholes."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: March 20, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »

I've heard libertarians remark more frequently over the last few years about how the confederates weren't fighting for slavery as much as they were fighting to maintain state's rights against expansion of federal power, and/or how they were forced to fight by the economically disruptive nature of the push to abruptly abolish the establishment that their society was built on.  Not sympathizing with that perspective - just trying to round out the discussion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 667