Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819845 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #6060 on: February 17, 2014, 06:09:38 pm »

I'm liking the way the poll options are showing a prime number sequence.

Carry on.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: February 17, 2014, 07:43:26 pm »

if you say it works best, find me an example of a contemporary enlightened despot
I seem to recall a certain African dude who changed the name of his country and did a pretty good job at despoting. Not sure what country it was but it went to shit when he died.
Rhodesia was doing pretty good until the commies got them
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yep, nothing says national prosperity like a decade-long civil war systematically eroding the government's ability to assert authority, institutionalized apartheid, and an economy that, in spite of an early boom, gradually began to fall apart under continuing pressure from sanctions, the independence of Mozambique under a hostile government, and a startling 40% of the total GDP being devoted to defense.  There's a reason the "commies got them," after all.

But short shorts, you know?  ^_^
You sound like a communist and a hater of short-shorts. I'm sure the the people are much happier under hyperinflation, communism and a lack of short-shorts.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: February 17, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »

I'm only here to emphasize that short shorts are indeed, awesome.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: February 17, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »

if you say it works best, find me an example of a contemporary enlightened despot

Rwanda is sometimes said to be ruled in the spirit of such, but technically it's a parlamentary republic, I think, but it's been headed by the same president since the early 00's and isn't exactly warm in it's treatment of opposition parties. Now Rwanda of course was in a pretty shitty place to begin with and hasn't magically turned into any kind if wonderland under his guidance, but it has been getting steadily better (but then again, so is the whole world). One noteable thing is that despite being a one-party state in practice, it apparently has one of the lowest amounts of corruption among African countries, or so Wikipedia tells me. I've never made any deeper research about how it really is beyond Ye Olde Wiki, though.

I'm also not a proponent of Enlightened Despotism either, for the record. Except as an impossible ideal (because it requires a continual flow of impossibly ideal people, and likely impossibly ideal circumstances). And for fun. We can't argue with Voltaire, though. He's too cool for us.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »

You know what's scary?
Zimbabwe has been failing with re-Africanization politics for a while now. Failing hard. And now there's some dudes in the South African ruling party that want to implement the same politics in the only prospering African democracy...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:24:51 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:46 pm »

Yep, nothing says national prosperity like a decade-long civil war systematically eroding the government's ability to assert authority, institutionalized apartheid, and an economy that, in spite of an early boom, gradually began to fall apart under continuing pressure from sanctions, the independence of Mozambique under a hostile government, and a startling 40% of the total GDP being devoted to defense.  There's a reason the "commies got them," after all.

But short shorts, you know?  ^_^
You sound like a communist and a hater of short-shorts. I'm sure the the people are much happier under hyperinflation, communism and a lack of short-shorts.
Just because getting shot in the leg is better than getting shot in the head, doesn't mean getting shot in the leg is actually good. 

You know what's scary?
Zimbabwe has been failing with re-Africanization politics for a while now. Failing hard. And now there's some dudes in the South African ruling party tha want to implement the same politics in the only prospering African democracy...
Botswana? :P

Ah, but seriously, that is a little worrying.  You'd think the ongoing meltdown that is the Zimbabwe economy would be enough to suggest that following their economic policies might be contraindicated. 

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:33 am »

You know what's scary?
Zimbabwe has been failing with re-Africanization politics for a while now. Failing hard. And now there's some dudes in the South African ruling party tha want to implement the same politics in the only prospering African democracy...
Since when is South Africa prospering? I was under the impression it consisted mostly of people trying to rob and kill you.
Kinda like Venezuala, but with Nelson Mandela instead of oil.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: February 18, 2014, 07:28:43 am »

also rape

south africa has serious fucking problems with law enforcement and the concept of basic decency

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: February 18, 2014, 08:54:46 am »

I guess the best way to tell at a glance if an African nation is doing okay is to ask yourself, "Have I heard anything about this country in the past ten years? "

If no, then nothing newsworthy bad has fucked with it.

Note: "at a glance"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:30 am »

That would be everything but Egypt, Lybia, Ethiopia and Kenya in my case. :V

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: February 18, 2014, 09:20:49 am »

One assumes the person using this had been paying attention to the news of Africa, if only nominally
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:26 am »

That might not be the best system.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: February 18, 2014, 11:49:57 am »

I reiterate: "at a glance"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:48 pm »

I was trying to use ironic understatement.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »

You know what's scary?
Since when is South Africa prospering? I was under the impression it consisted mostly of people trying to rob and kill you.
Relatively prospering. South Africa and Botswana are pretty much the only African countries I'd even consider moving to.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 667