Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818797 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's Murrican Politics Megathread 2: So dysfunction. Much Congress. Wow.
« Reply #5880 on: January 31, 2014, 04:05:30 pm »

That part is more fucked up to me than them shutting down the computer training. Religious organizations have no right to operate outside the law.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: January 31, 2014, 04:07:01 pm »

NYTimes debate. I'm a bit wary of making an example - just have the bureaucracy review his case (anonymized, of course) and send him back or don't.

Have I mentioned he looks like an aquaintance of mine who ended up in a psychiatric hospital? Video game addiction is a real thing... (And he was a real fucked-up guy, so YMMV)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: January 31, 2014, 04:27:22 pm »

If it makes you feel better, that's just why they're being hit by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.  Presumably there's a separate barrel of red tape waiting for religious schools.  Let's see...charter schools cannot teach sectarian curricula under penalty of revocation of their charter.  Faith-based organizations may apply for funding for after-school activities, but cannot expend that funding on any religious activities - religious instruction, worship, and prayer are all called out explicitly.  Their constitution also apparently says outright that public funding cannot go to fund sectarian or denominational schools (Art.9, Sect.8 ), which seems a little odd given non-denominational programs for special education and the like.  Evaluation of curriculum with religious references includes a cautionary note that such references must be neutral and unbiased - no advocacy, accusation, prejudicial content, or "simulation or roleplay of religious ceremonies" (I'd love to see the loophole-abuse that got that written in, though).  Sorry I don't know more about it, though; I don't really work with the states myself in either general education or otherwise, and Cali's completely out of our regional scope. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:34:28 pm by Culise »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: January 31, 2014, 05:20:21 pm »

On a note sure to be ignored, the State department's report rules in favor of the Keystone XL pipeline. Only Obama's say-so is needed now.

Yeah, we should really get to building that pipeline for China and Canada.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: January 31, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »

Fucking hell, If I have to hear one more person say that a change can't be affected in politics because "that's the way it is," i'm going to lose my shit.

"We can't change the way the State of The Union Adress always dances around saying anything important, that's just the way it is."
"We can't change how congressional districts are drawn to lean it more towards a non-partisan process, that's just the way it is."
"We can't change wages for high level government employees, that's just the way it is."

Son of a bitch guys cynicism is supposed to lead towards a more clear view on decision making not this pussy-ass approach to politics where everyone is too afraid to do anything.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:23 pm »

Fucking hell, If I have to hear one more person say that a change can't be affected in politics because "that's the way it is," i'm going to lose my shit.

"We can't change the way the State of The Union Adress always dances around saying anything important, that's just the way it is."
"We can't change how congressional districts are drawn to lean it more towards a non-partisan process, that's just the way it is."
"We can't change wages for high level government employees, that's just the way it is."

Son of a bitch guys cynicism is supposed to lead towards a more clear view on decision making not this pussy-ass approach to politics where everyone is too afraid to do anything.
Indeed. My usual counter to that one, along with "life is unfair," is "that's because people make it that way."

Defeatist attitudes cause us to stagnate and forget there's no natural law holding us down, but people with agendas (and/or people who're incompetent. Actually probably mostly incompetence. But that's another discussion).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: January 31, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »

Yeeaaah, I think that's more the apathy or disenfranchisement speaking than the cynicism. Least from what I've seen. It's not fear, it's just the belief that trying will accomplish nothing. So why waste the energy? Saying it's "just the way it is" allows for a convenient excuse!

Is silly, of course, but easy reasoning to fall prey to when you're tired and stressed, as so many are.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:43 pm »

Yeeaaah, I think that's more the apathy or disenfranchisement speaking than the cynicism. Least from what I've seen. It's not fear, it's just the belief that trying will accomplish nothing. So why waste the energy? Saying it's "just the way it is" allows for a convenient excuse!

Is silly, of course, but easy reasoning to fall prey to when you're tired and stressed, as so many are.
My beef is that the proposed "solutions" almost invariably target only the most superficial issues. Nobody seems to recognize or want to admit that there are deeper seeded problems, or that their decisions have much farther reaching consequences and implications than they initially thought.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: January 31, 2014, 10:37:43 pm »

Ehn, it's definitely anecdotal (personal experience, etc.), but from what I've seen that actually ties back into the belief you can't do much. If you believe you have very little capacity to enact change, but still want to at least try, you pick small targets. You chip away at the superficial stuff -- get done what you (think you) can get done, in the hope it opens the path to larger changes. It's been a pretty consistent narrative, at least with the stuff that I've been involved in, that there is deeply seeded problems, but they're not something that can be directly addressed. Activists, or just people who want to make a positive change, simply don't have the capacity -- resources, social weight, whatever -- to have an effect. So you do what you can until (in the hope that) addressing the deeper issues becomes possible.

And the potential domino effect feeds back into that, to a degree. Since you're focusing small (because you think that's all you can manage), then your proverbial field of vision is fairly narrow. You don't expect you're going to make a big splash because you don't think that's possible. Which, of course, occasionally bites the proverbial hindquarters, especially when the change is enacted without good foundational methodology (hard statistics, preliminary experimentation, etc.) -- which is pretty common simply because of the political cycle being as short as it is. Since groups are in a rush to get things done in a (comparatively) small time frame, sometimes stuff gets left behind in the rush.

Which, yeah, is a problem, but considering a lot of the bigger deal stuff involves studies and whatnot that have been continuing for decades with no sign of stopping, and the problems they're attempting to shed light on are existent now...

... well, the urge to just do something -- try to improve the situation, even in the light of limited information -- gets strong. It gets especially strong when you're regularly involved with the highly... call it shrill? Political situation that seems fairly standard these days. And if/when things do go tits up, it's pretty rare the causal forces are still around and able to exert enough power to make any amends. Bankruptcy or political/institutional marginalization are pretty common in cases where things go wrong, even if the problem wasn't foreseen. People love their scapegoats, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:41:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »

Actually, I agree with you on most of that, Frumple. Though, I guess my biggest problem is that a lot of people don't realize it. The lack of self-awareness inhibits the retention of the changes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:09 pm »

Glenn Beck and other "conservative" commentators responding poorly to Coke's multilanguage superbowl ad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/coca-cola-super-bowl-ad-angers-conservatives-article-1.1600849

I thought that the GOP claimed they are trying NOT to alienate minorites.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: February 04, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

Are you surprised that what they say they are doing and what they are actually doing are two opposite things? Doublethink double plus good.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: February 04, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »

"Nice to see that coke likes to sing an AMERICAN song in the terrorist's language. Way to go coke. You can leave America," tweeted one disgruntled viewer.
This is just comical.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: February 04, 2014, 06:04:41 pm »

I take it Mr. Beck never really bothered to ask the Chicanos and Native Americans what they felt the primary languages of America should be.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: February 04, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »

Said Natives: "You know, I've always thought Italian was particularly lyrical."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 667